The Biggest Whiffs In Buffalo Bills History

38 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Rogers and Brady in the same division would of been something

We would have wrecked Rogers.

22 minutes ago, Irv said:

Shutting down BBMB.

This board is far better, than what they let the BBMB became. Don't get me wrong, BBMB was good, but not in its final years. 

Edited by Paulus
  • Like (+1) 1

Even with all of the whiffs that have been made with players, I have to vote the hiring of Rex as the biggest and most detrimental whiff of them all.  Every team whiffs on a player now and again.  As much as it stinks, it really only affects 1 position…unless you factor in the lost draft picks used to trade up.  Rex basically set back the organization for 2+ years.

52 minutes ago, Cash said:

I disagree.  The Bills had recently re-done Aaron Schobel's contract even though he had multiple years left.  This happened after Schobel skipped OTAs for "personal reasons".  We were assured it wasn't a holdout, but then by amazing coincidence, the Bills happened to give Schobel a new contract with better terms.  So there was a precedent that the team would play ball with an upset player who had multiple years left on his deal.

Then consider Peters himself.  Yes, he was an undrafted free agent.  Does that behold him to the Bills in perpetuity?  When he signed that contract, he was the starting RT, and it was reasonable money for a starting RT.  But then he was promoted to starting LT, and was excellent in that role.  Once that happened, he became severely underpaid compared to his performance at his position.  Compounding things, the Bills went out and grossly overpaid Dockery and Walker in free agency, making Peters the 3rd-highest paid o-lineman.  You can't have your line set up so that the All-Pro best player plays the most important and highest-paid position, but makes less than two other guys. 

Peters probably could've handled it better, and the Bills may have been more amenable if he had been more willing to "play ball", but the team was crazy if they thought he was going to be happy with the salary structure they put in place on the offensive line.

All of this is from memory off the top of my head, so my apologies for any facts I butchered.  

Yep. Maybe an inexcusable, horrific, incompetent BOTCH more than a WHIFF.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Trading for Bledsoe should maybe get honorable mention here.  You have to think that if a division rival is willing to let a QB come to you there are question marks.  It was not the worst trade ever but one that certainly is on a list of those that did not turn out well. 

Drafting of Mike Williams belongs on this list also.  

Drew Bledsoes first year wasn’t that bad here. His first year he pro bowled and lead the AFC in passing yards iirc 

last 2 were semi lackluster but when was the last time we had a QB throw for 4000+ yards and 24 TDs

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Hiring Tom Donahoe as the GM/President.  He literally put this team behind for 20 years with his arrogance.

There were lots of question marks on Rodgers..He was helped with the fact that he could sit and learn behind one of the game's greatest for a couple of years; something he may not have had a chance at in Buffalo especially with the revolving door on coaches

****ty GMs starting from Donahoe to Whaley

Was Tom Donahoe any worse than Marv Levy, Buddy Nix or Doug Whaley?  He wasn’t probably equally as bad.  I don’t think that you can he turned everything team back 20 years.  

If anything you can call his run distinguishable from the other GM.  I feel that out of the GM’s from 2001-2017, Donahoe might have been the best - Which again isn’t saying much. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Was Tom Donahoe any worse than Marv Levy, Buddy Nix or Doug Whaley?  He wasn’t probably equally as bad.  I don’t think that you can he turned everything team back 20 years.  

If anything you can call his run distinguishable from the other GM.  I feel that out of the GM’s from 2001-2017, Donahoe might have been the best - Which again isn’t saying much. 

Donohoe was highly respected as a high quality football guy until he was ruined by the micro-managing Ralph. No doubt he was the best.

• Like (+1) 1

If you really think about it, all of the GM and coaching choices since Polian and Levy have been wiffs.  You can maybe cut Wade Phillips some slack in the string but the rest have been busts.  If you do not get these two positions and the QB right you end up in the trash heap of bad to mediocre football teams.

4 hours ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

I'll add a few more:

Picking Rob Johnson over Flutie.  As much as you hate Flutie, he found ways to win games that were beyond Buffalo's offense without him.

Letting Pat Williams go in free agency.  Defense went downhill after that move.

Choosing JP Losman in draft instead of moving up a couple spots to get Roethlisburger.

Drafting EJ.

I'll stop there as the list goes on and on.

Rob Johnson had the game won in Tennessee. All we had to do was cover a damn kick.

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I like the OP selections a lot except I think the CJ Spiller was a bit harsh though, CJ was not a terrible player, he had one incredible year, 1200 yds rushing averaging 6 yd/carry plus 450 yds receiving, had a few very good years as well.

Yeah but it was and remains a colossal error in judgment to have selected him 9th overall, notwithstanding his upside which you nicely summarize.

I really like the OP's examples.  Not sure what I could add to his list in terms of whiffs with the same magnitude.

Can't overstate what mistakes EJ, Sammy, and Rex were.