The Biggest Whiffs In Buffalo Bills History

Trading up for Rags was bad.

Trading up for Sammy was bad.

Drafting EJ was bad.

Overpaying and enabling Dareus was bad.

In short most everything Whaley and scouting department  did could and should have been done by a group of zoo animals. 

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What made it worse was our OC, was it Alex Van Pelt, that decided we were going to use the hurry up offense, since it worked so well 20 years ago with Jim Kelly...poor Walker, it almost killed him, total mismatch of players to scheme. That decision to try the hurry up since Edwards was supposedly so smart and could run it was a total joke.

It was Jauron who decided on the no huddle and Schonert who implemented. Schonert was fired and AVP promoted the day after the final preseason game.

As for whiffs I think Rex is a huge one. Jauron's contract extension.

Edited by CBend

41 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:
2000 - BUFFALO BILLS

Draft 

RD

SEL #

PLAYER

POSITION

SCHOOL

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State
2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech
3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech
4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State
5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech
6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso
7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo
7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

ew what a horrible horrible draft

Hiring Tom Donahoe as the GM/President.  He literally put this team behind for 20 years with his arrogance.

1 hour ago, Leonhart2017 said:

When you think about what we gave up and what we could have had in Rodgers if we had just waited a year. The biggest whiff to me was Losman.

There were lots of question marks on Rodgers..He was helped with the fact that he could sit and learn behind one of the game's greatest for a couple of years; something he may not have had a chance at in Buffalo especially with the revolving door on coaches

****ty GMs starting from Donahoe to Whaley

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting topic from WGR this morning.  Jeremy White was talking abou the biggest whiffs in Buffalo sports history since 2000.  He used both the Bills and Sabres but for the sake of this discussion we’ll focus on just the Bills.

Remember a whiff doesn’t necessarily have to be all draft busts.  It more about getting some of the really big and important decisions completely wrong.  Also it’s important to consider the negative impact on the organization.  For example, signing Shawn Merriman was a whiff, but it didn’t really impact the team that much.

Here are my choices and I keep everything current so this is only since 2000.  

Hiring Rex Ryan - this was JW’s top choice and mine as well.  Rex did some major damage in Buffalo.  Terrible hire.

Trading for Sammy Watkins - this was an agressive move by a bad GM that backfired.  Whaley basically pushed all his chip to the table and gambled with this move on both Sammy and EJ.  He’s now out of a job.  This move was so reckless it drives me nuts

Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to a long-term deal 

Prospector Buddy Nix thought he found gold...except it was fool’s gold.  The quick decision to extend Fitz, committed the team to a QB that was a fringe starter and resulted in them passing on other choices like drafting Russell Wilson.  This was the start of QB purgatory.

Drafting CJ Spiller

This was a foolish move when the team had 2 good RB’s in Fred and Marshawn Lynch.  CJ also never turned out to be much as a starting RB.  

Marv Levy as GM

A terrible and selfish choice by Ralph Wilson.  This move would ramp the drought into high gear.  

Lets hear some of your choices!

The start of QB purgatory happened after the Flutie/Johnson saga, minus one good year from Bledsoe.

1 hour ago, JOSH HUFF said:
2000 - BUFFALO BILLS

Draft 

RD

SEL #

PLAYER

POSITION

SCHOOL

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State
2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech
3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech
4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State
5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech
6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso
7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo
7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

That draft killed the bills for some years

1 hour ago, Leonhart2017 said:

When you think about what we gave up and what we could have had in Rodgers if we had just waited a year. The biggest whiff to me was Losman.

Rogers and Brady in the same division would of been something

43 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Russ Brandon. He is behind so many of the whiffs he deserves to be in a category all his own. 

Remember...it's not the steak, it's the sizzle.

Now why does that adage pop into my mind anytime anyone says 'Russ Brandon'?

24 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Hiring Tom Donahoe as the GM/President.  He literally put this team behind for 20 years with his arrogance.

There were lots of question marks on Rodgers..He was helped with the fact that he could sit and learn behind one of the game's greatest for a couple of years; something he may not have had a chance at in Buffalo especially with the revolving door on coaches

****ty GMs starting from Donahoe to Whaley

Rodgers never learned anything from Favre though....  

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

To be fair, Peters and Parker were done with the Bills and were leaving no matter what. The Bills had been good to Peters, bringing him in as a UDFA and developing him from a Special Teams TE, to a RT, to a premier LT. They had already re-done his deal when he started pouting and slacking barely 2 years into it.

As much as I hate how that all played out, there wasnt much more the Bills could do. Nor should have done given Peters's handling of the situation.

I disagree.  The Bills had recently re-done Aaron Schobel's contract even though he had multiple years left.  This happened after Schobel skipped OTAs for "personal reasons".  We were assured it wasn't a holdout, but then by amazing coincidence, the Bills happened to give Schobel a new contract with better terms.  So there was a precedent that the team would play ball with an upset player who had multiple years left on his deal.

Then consider Peters himself.  Yes, he was an undrafted free agent.  Does that behold him to the Bills in perpetuity?  When he signed that contract, he was the starting RT, and it was reasonable money for a starting RT.  But then he was promoted to starting LT, and was excellent in that role.  Once that happened, he became severely underpaid compared to his performance at his position.  Compounding things, the Bills went out and grossly overpaid Dockery and Walker in free agency, making Peters the 3rd-highest paid o-lineman.  You can't have your line set up so that the All-Pro best player plays the most important and highest-paid position, but makes less than two other guys. 

Peters probably could've handled it better, and the Bills may have been more amenable if he had been more willing to "play ball", but the team was crazy if they thought he was going to be happy with the salary structure they put in place on the offensive line.

All of this is from memory off the top of my head, so my apologies for any facts I butchered.  

• Like (+1) 1

Shutting down BBMB.

I was looking up names of past Bills in an attempt at humor and saw that Matt Kofler died way back in 2008.  What did he die of? 

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Jason Peters was signed.

He just threw a hissy fit about wanting more money than the Bills had already given him.

Some people forget that

Still it would have been nice to find some common ground with him.....he did end up being a foundation for the eagles for years.