The Biggest Whiffs In Buffalo Bills History

35 minutes ago, bourbonboy said:

Maybe not the biggest whiff, but Erik Flowers deserves mention here too.....

Context though.  He certainly was a whiff but he was a low round 1st rounder.  There have been much worse examples

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

This is my list, and it doesn’t have to be since 2000.  My choices are only from 2000 since I do think it makes things more relevant.  

I think Jeremy’s defense of Williams was that he was the top LT coming out of college.  Most teams would have taken him high and he was considered as “solid” of a draft choice as any that year.  

To argue Jeremy, Williams never played LT in college, he was a RT. And McKinnie was the top LT coming out but teams were worried about his attitude. Which was a valid concern, but McKinnie had a much better career and should have been the pick at #4 overall if Donahoe wasnt such a wuss.

42 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Rex 

Maybin

Losman

Manuel & Watkins

Marv

+1

Drafting an injured McGahee when we had Travis Henry.

Whitner over Ngata.

All the DB's and RB's drafted in the first round (minus Tre White).

Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie.

McCargo.

Jauron.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chef4131 said:

over drafting of JP Losman, giving up the next years first rounder cost us a chance to draft Aaron Rodgers 

Drafting Josh Allen....JP 2.0

Oh & taking Spiller when you had Lynch & Jackson on the roster. Yea BeastMode was a knucklehead... but what great NFL player doesn't have problems in their personal life?

Ray Lewis, TO, Chad Johnson, Dez, Brady, Farve, Big Ben, Antonio Brown, KeyShawn Johnson, Randy Moss... i can go on & on...the bad boys are what make the league great & entertaining. Can't when chips with goodie good guy's. You have to have some kind of controversy. Yea sometimes you'll get a Robert Woods & a Fred Jackson, Chris Carter... but you have to surround them with Superstars like Randy Moss to go another level... & they come with huge egos...

My point is... you need a guy that demand the ball, race a car... cheat the rules, goes to court... the biggest fail the Bills have made is not "wanting" those type of players or even committing to them.  

I knew they wouldn't want Rosen....he scares them. & it's a shame. Cause everything points to him possibly being really good...you can't say the same for Allen

Edited by Scorp83
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

-- Rex Ryan hire messing up a very good defense

-- Drafting Maybin was questionable right out of the chute

-- Hiring Marv as GM with the sub-bullet of the "cash-to-the-cap" policy basically communicating that we weren't going do what it takes to win

-- To be determine yet... passing on both Mahomes and Watson last year, while trading up for Allen this year... we'll have to evaluate in a few years whether that progression was a monumental whiff or not?!?

Edited by cage

26 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Signing Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery to ridiculous contracts.

Whaley and Marrone tried to repeat history years later by signing some bum lineman named Chris Williams to a bloated contract.

Most OL Free Agents are going to be overpaid. Most Free Agents are overpaid.

1 hour ago, Mopreme said:

Not resigning Jason Peters.  

Do elite LTs really help teams?      Don't we find that teams that go far in playoffs often have just serviceable LT players ?    Joe Thomas certainly didnt do anything for poor Cleveland.   Philly didn't accomplish much those years when Peters was starting all the games. and ended up winning the Superbowl with him out of the lineup since October 2017.

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

+1

Drafting an injured McGahee when we had Travis Henry.

Whitner over Ngata.

All the DB's and RB's drafted in the first round (minus Tre White).

Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie.

McCargo.

Jauron.

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Drafting Torell Troup one spot ahead of Gronk

McCargo and Troup were my immediate thoughts. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:
2000 - BUFFALO BILLS

Draft 

RD

SEL #

PLAYER

POSITION

SCHOOL

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State
2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech
3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech
4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State
5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech
6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso
7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo
7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

Was that John Butler's last draft as Bills GM or Tom Donahoe? That looks as bad a Buddy Nix draft class. 

bringing Marv back wasn't less than  3 trillion % of the worst cynical garbage thought possible.

25 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

AARON MAYBIN

still too soon  :(

2 hours ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

I'll add a few more:

Picking Rob Johnson over Flutie.  As much as you hate Flutie, he found ways to win games that were beyond Buffalo's offense without him.

Letting Pat Williams go in free agency.  Defense went downhill after that move.

Choosing JP Losman in draft instead of moving up a couple spots to get Roethlisburger.

Drafting EJ.

I'll stop there as the list goes on and on.

let Flutie's clown show era die already? this was total trash compared to Jim Kelly's best year, worse than total trash

The best part was for the 2000 season they treated the Doug/Rob thing as a do-over and expected them to sit for 3 hours and outline their plans for going forward, as if the coaching staff had never met them before.  Of course Flutie refused to go through with this and made a fun media fuss over the disrespect.  :D

Edited by row_33