The Biggest Whiffs In Buffalo Bills History

2 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Lots to choose from here but I'd probably have to go with Mike Williams being picked 4th overall. Maybin, Watkins and Spiller can fight it out for second.

Perhaps not a valid criticism, but I enjoyed referring to C.J.Spill'em (as in footballs) to a rabid Bills follower I worked with.

8 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Not resigning Jason Peters.  

Surprised no one mentioned this before now.  At least we turned the 1st that we got back into Eric Wood, but it was still awful and I can't believe they didn't pay him since he's such a premium position.  The contracts they gave Dockery and Walker that year would be overpaying in 2018...but let's dump someone that's a hall of famer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting topic from WGR this morning.  Jeremy White was talking abou the biggest whiffs in Buffalo sports history since 2000.  He used both the Bills and Sabres but for the sake of this discussion we’ll focus on just the Bills.

Remember a whiff doesn’t necessarily have to be all draft busts.  It more about getting some of the really big and important decisions completely wrong.  Also it’s important to consider the negative impact on the organization.  For example, signing Shawn Merriman was a whiff, but it didn’t really impact the team that much.

Here are my choices and I keep everything current so this is only since 2000.  

Hiring Rex Ryan - this was JW’s top choice and mine as well.  Rex did some major damage in Buffalo.  Terrible hire.

Trading for Sammy Watkins - this was an agressive move by a bad GM that backfired.  Whaley basically pushed all his chip to the table and gambled with this move on both Sammy and EJ.  He’s now out of a job.  This move was so reckless it drives me nuts

Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to a long-term deal 

Prospector Buddy Nix thought he found gold...except it was fool’s gold.  The quick decision to extend Fitz, committed the team to a QB that was a fringe starter and resulted in them passing on other choices like drafting Russell Wilson.  This was the start of QB purgatory.

Drafting CJ Spiller

This was a foolish move when the team had 2 good RB’s in Fred and Marshawn Lynch.  CJ also never turned out to be much as a starting RB.  

Marv Levy as GM

A terrible and selfish choice by Ralph Wilson.  This move would ramp the drought into high gear.  

Lets hear some of your choices!

Aside from Jamarcus Russel  of Raider fame, Aaron Maybin is hands down the biggest bust in NFL history, across all teams.  He even put out a super-douchey rap song that sucked balls.  It's just mind numbing to see a team draft a guy with virtually no college experience at 8th overall.  

Ughh....  the thought of hearing his name called that day just made me sick all over again, I need to go have a dump.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

A lot of whiffs have been hired at WGR. I use to listen to them occasionally and in short doses, but when I retired I started listening longer.

Ugh ! It's like listening to teens and young 20.y.o.'s. The egos,  monotony and bar stool  knowledge got tiresome quickly.  

No prizes there, agreed, but at least they get through a thought without forgetting what they were going to say, ala Mr. Simon.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Lots to choose from here but I'd probably have to go with Mike Williams being picked 4th overall. Maybin, Watkins and Spiller can fight it out for second.

I give the Bills a slight pass for Maybin because overall that was a solid draft for them (Wood, Byrd, Levitre).

11 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Surprised no one mentioned this before now.  At least we turned the 1st that we got back into Eric Wood, but it was still awful and I can't believe they didn't pay him since he's such a premium position.  The contracts they gave Dockery and Walker that year would be overpaying in 2018...but let's dump someone that's a hall of famer.

To be fair, Peters and Parker were done with the Bills and were leaving no matter what. The Bills had been good to Peters, bringing him in as a UDFA and developing him from a Special Teams TE, to a RT, to a premier LT. They had already re-done his deal when he started pouting and slacking barely 2 years into it.

As much as I hate how that all played out, there wasnt much more the Bills could do. Nor should have done given Peters's handling of the situation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Switching from a 4-3 defence to a 3-4 defence when we were ranked 1 and 2 defensively in the previous two years.   I had high hopes that Rex would have came here and gave us an offence to match our defence.  Instead he gave us a defence to match our offence.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, tlfcbb said:

Switching from a 4-3 defence to a 3-4 defence when we were ranked 1 and 2 defensively in the previous two years.   I had high hopes that Rex would have came here and gave us an offence to match our defence.  Instead he gave us a defence to match our offence.

When Rex let Swartz go, that also made me sick.  

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Only whinge I have is you should add "since 2000" to the title, not "in Bills history", since that is the parameters of the discussion. :thumbsup:

Jeremy White tried to argue that he didnt have Williams on the list because he was actually productive for a couple seasons, but I tend to disagree with that and think he should be on the list as well.

This is my list, and it doesn’t have to be since 2000.  My choices are only from 2000 since I do think it makes things more relevant.  

I think Jeremy’s defense of Williams was that he was the top LT coming out of college.  Most teams would have taken him high and he was considered as “solid” of a draft choice as any that year.  

22 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Spiller averaged 4.8 yards per carry for his NFL career

Right but very rarely was he a game changer. Also you can argue he was a selection that the Bills did not need to make given the strength of the RB position on the roster at that time.  

It was a huge whiff