"Pothole Killer" swallowed-up by sinkhole in the Falls

Such a shame. The entire city. Especially when you see other little burbs that don’t get 9 millions visitors a year bouncing back a bit(N. Tonawanda and Lockport downtown areas are rapidly improving as far as bars/restaurants, theatres and shops).

My family roots on both sides are in NF, and I do still love the city and the Falls themselves. It’s tough to see and tough to accept that change may never come.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Niagara Falls, NY has turned into a simple **** hole.  It is really bad.

Mob Rules-Black Sabbath. Also when key government officials are married to other key officials...it becomes very,very difficult to "fight city hall".When Pine Ave hit the skids nearly two decades ago,the writing was on the wall....

15 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Mob Rules-Black Sabbath. Also when key government officials are married to other key officials...it becomes very,very difficult to "fight city hall".When Pine Ave hit the skids nearly two decades ago,the writing was on the wall....

Yep, my family had a successful bar business in NF since the 1960s, even survived “urban renewal” in the 70’s and relocated from Falls street to Pine Ave. for another 30 years. Had to let it go around ‘06. The neighborhood got so bad, the business became unviable. Very sad.

Part of me really wants to carry that torch. I actually had a nice business plan for a downtown NF bar, complete with Falls theme cocktails and food menu. But what is there after tourist season? No way you can count on the local market to carry you in the offseason, especially downtown. There is nothing else there but trouble. Sad, really.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Yep, my family had a successful bar business in NF since the 1960s, even survived “urban renewal” in the 70’s and relocated from Falls street to Pine Ave. for another 30 years. Had to let it go around ‘06. The neighborhood got so bad, the business became unviable. Very sad.

Part of me really wants to carry that torch. I actually had a nice business plan for a downtown NF bar, complete with Falls theme cocktails and food menu. But what is there after tourist season? No way you can count on the local market to carry you in the offseason, especially downtown. There is nothing else there but trouble. Sad, really.

I think your best shot would be to approach one of the bigger hotels ( like the Doubletree - I am close with the ownership ) and try to partner and get it in their lobby. They get enough corporate business in the winter to carry you through.

Love the idea of a falls-themed bar/restaurant. If you ever saw the short-lived FOX show Wonderfalls, they had a great one called "The Barrel' that would have been a hit with tourists in the real Niagara Falls.

14 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I think your best shot would be to approach one of the bigger hotels ( like the Doubletree - I am close with the ownership ) and try to partner and get it in their lobby. They get enough corporate business in the winter to carry you through.

Love the idea of a falls-themed bar/restaurant. If you ever saw the short-lived FOX show Wonderfalls, they had a great one called "The Barrel' that would have been a hit with tourists in the real Niagara Falls.

Yes the hotels have certainly crossed my mind. But my ‘vibe’ was kinda in the vein of ‘upscale dive’, as in approachable unique fare at approachable prices. Somewhere between “gastropub” and “corner bar”. I don’t know if that would translate in a hotel setting, but could certainly be tweaked. I’ll DM you in a bit to share some of my concepts, would love your feedback.

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Such a shame. The entire city. Especially when you see other little burbs that don’t get 9 millions visitors a year bouncing back a bit(N. Tonawanda and Lockport downtown areas are rapidly improving as far as bars/restaurants, theatres and shops).

My family roots on both sides are in NF, and I do still love the city and the Falls themselves. It’s tough to see and tough to accept that change may never come.

At the same time, while NF, Ontario gets positive reviews they really only have a veneer.  If you get much out of the immediate area of the river or Falls the rest of the city is not exactly picture perfect.  

Moving back to the NYS side, the fact that you have nasty chemical industry right along much of the riverfront into the downtown area is another huge negagtive from a look, livability and “feel” perspective.  It’s really too bad that many decades ago that somebody did not have the foresight to think that a green space along the riverfront all the way to the lake would have been a huge positive.  Then imagine a nice housing base along that greenway.  The early planners did not do any of this as in their era the thinking was very different.  Now the city lives the legacy of that situation.

If the city was not such a **** hole I would love to think that I could live near the Falls.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

At the same time, while NF, Ontario gets positive reviews they really only have a veneer.  If you get much out of the immediate area of the river or Falls the rest of the city is not exactly picture perfect.  

Moving back to the NYS side, the fact that you have nasty chemical industry right along much of the riverfront into the downtown area is another huge negagtive from a look, livability and “feel” perspective.  It’s really too bad that many decades ago that somebody did not have the foresight to think that a green space along the riverfront all the way to the lake would have been a huge positive.  Then imagine a nice housing base along that greenway.  The early planners did not do any of this as in their era the thinking was very different.  Now the city lives the legacy of that situation.

If the city was not such a **** hole I would love to think that I could live near the Falls.  

Well the little things are starting to happen, the Robert Moses coming out between the state park and whirlpool park will be huge for routing traffic through the city.

The new hotels cannot be ignored either, huge improvement.

Community Beer Works is coming to Niagara Street, I give them credit for taking the chance.

Nad yes, NF Ontario is all a front, no doubt. Walk a mile in any direction from Clifton Hill and it starts to look like the NY side.

9 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I know I am biased.  But plans to give the Welland Canal competition... Drawn up after the War... With an "All-American Canal"... Would have at least had boats going through Niagara County.  Maybe they didn't want to dig because they knew what Hooker Chemical was hiding.  At least Niagara County would have had a service industry to serve marine interests... Why is it in Canada 30 miles to the west?

I mean... Another water diversion, not that big of a deal... Could have tied shipping diversion into the dams power culverts and rez... Water before it drops for boats would have been harnessed for power... Much more efficient than Welland.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois