MMQB: The Jets' Long Road To Sam Darnold

This article also seems to imply that it was down to Allen or Mayfield for the Browns. Or at least implies they like Allen a lot -

Word trickles out that the Jets have, finally, scheduled a workout with Darnold, which coincides with whispers that the Browns are smitten with Allen.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The point was that the current regime of Mac and Bowles in NYJ also drafted Hackenberg and Petty. OTOH, McD and Beane’s regime have now drafted their first QB.

And our regime started Nathan Peterman over Tyrod Taylor when Peterman clearly was not ready/talented enough.  If they didn't know what Peterman was after months of practice I think it is possible that they might not be the best at evaluating QBs.  I hope I'm wrong.    

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

And our regime started Nathan Peterman over Tyrod Taylor when Peterman clearly was not ready/talented enough.  If they didn't know what Peterman was after months of practice I think it is possible that they might not be the best at evaluating QBs.  I hope I'm wrong.    

You're not necessarily wrong but you're far too simplistic about it.  They took a chance and admitted it was a mistake and fixed it... they weren't sure what Peterman would be when the bullets started flying.  They found out.  They also didn't design a smart gameplan for him and the OC was appropriately fired as a result. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You're not necessarily wrong but you're far too simplistic about it.  They took a chance and admitted it was a mistake and fixed it... they weren't sure what Peterman would be when the bullets started flying.  They found out.  They also didn't design a smart gameplan for him and the OC was appropriately fired as a result. 

Best move McDermott made this offseason.

When they weren't running motion, fake jet sweeps, or jet sweeps every other play during the Colts game, I knew he had to go. The defensive players had miserable footing and you don't even try to make them take false steps with misdirection? 

10 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

When the Jets traded to 3 our GM said he has only spent 15 minutes with each QB, still evaluating. 

Beane will look like a genius if Edmunds and Allen are hits. If any other QB besides Mayfield hits and Allen doesn't, then we'll, you know what happens. 

You got to listen very carefully to what the Beane-meister says.  He's one of those guys, I think, who is a master at mis-directing you while speaking the exact truth.

He did indeed say at the combine, it's early in the process, we're still evaluating, I've only met with these guys about 15 minutes.  All true, and quite likely the Jets could have said the same thing.

He also said he'd told his scouts to set the draft board as though the draft were tomorrow and then after the pro days, team visits, and workouts they would re-evaluate.

IMHO Beane didn't push to trade to 3 because he didn't have 3 QB he liked equally.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The bills having interest in Josh Allen does not bod well for his future.  

Touché.

10 hours ago, LLCoolCy said:

I wouldn't say the Jet's didn't have interest their area scout had Allen in his top 3. For obvious reasons Allen seems to be higher on what they see rather then the numbers. Allen was likely their #4 of top QB's, which makes sense after the Hackenberg experience. It would be difficult to sell a tools QB to the media/fans. 

"The final set of draft meetings is underway, and it’s time for scouts to present their background on players. Three stand out on the Jamal Adams level: Darnold, Mayfield and Barkley. Zach Truty, the national scout, has Mayfield. Shields, the area scout, has Darnold, Allen and Rosen. He’s written up 320 players in the 2018 draft cycle, but spent about 20-25% of his time over the last year on those three."

It sounds like the Jets traded up to #3 to ensure they'd get one of Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen.  In that sense, they had no interest in Allen.  

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I loved that they did that; it almost made the whole situation worthwhile.  When was the last time the Bills made a big mistake and immediately rectified it?  I honestly can't recall. 

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

First thing I thought

I know Darnold has talent....but the last USC qb the jets took didnt exactly pan out

True, and Sanchez was probably the best USC QB since Carson Palmer in 2003.  And it is the Jets.

11 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Obviously after months of practice Peterman showed enough that McD thought he would be a good option.   It was only clear after live, regular season game action that he wasn't.  I didn't want the change at that point in the season, but to think McD would play Peterman if he had shown nothing over a period of time, in the practice setting, doesn't make sense.  

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Jets not having any interest in Allen can only mean good things for the Bills.

If there is a team that is worse at evaluating QB's than the Bills............ it's the Jets.

And, of course...

jersey.jpg

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Haha (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:05 AM, stuvian said:

they are the Jets. They can still screw this up

Of course!

The fact that Darnold has had 22 turnovers in 13 games reminds me so much of Mr. Buttfuble Mark Sanchez. 13 INT's, 9 fumbles. His very first snap as a pro he fumbled it.

The turnover total is alarming. 

On 5/18/2018 at 6:54 AM, GETTOTHE50 said:

I thought this too, but I dont think they were any more ahead then the Bills or anyone else for that matter.

Teams are scouting at the same time of year, obviously. 

I bet they send in their reports at the same time too. The whole NFL is on the same timeline.  

I think that they had an general idea of what they wanted, panicked, and overpaid to get to #3 to ensure they got someone they wanted.  

It’s not considered overpaying if you get the franchise qb you wanted all along...you might think they over payed based on some chart, but believe me, the Jets do not- and that’s all that matters...value systems go out the window where a QB is concerned.

On 5/18/2018 at 6:35 AM, Wayne Arnold said:

Look at Nostradamus over here.

Just my opinion, sometimes I am incorrect and sometimes I am. I really think the Jets threw off the trajectory of the Bills with that trade. Yeah yeah I know the Jets are always bad generally and usually make mistakes, but a broken clock is right twice a day. And it may have just happened for the Jets. Let's just hope the Bills nailed the pick with Josh Allen and the Jets and Bills matchups have great meaning over the next decade or more.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Of course!

The fact that Darnold has had 22 turnovers in 13 games reminds me so much of Mr. Buttfuble Mark Sanchez. 13 INT's, 9 fumbles. His very first snap as a pro he fumbled it.

The turnover total is alarming. 

80f7f59229e76754107ca2e37cd607ca.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

It’s not considered overpaying if you get the franchise qb you wanted all along...you might think they over payed based on some chart, but believe me, the Jets do not- and that’s all that matters...value systems go out the window where a QB is concerned.

I dont give a **** who considers it overpaying or not.

That was my hot take. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

On 5/18/2018 at 9:11 AM, Wayne Arnold said:

Darnold is such a laid-back dude. NYC could be quite the culture shock for him.

This is something to keep an eye on.  Great QBs generally have a fire burning within.  Of the top QBs in this year's draft I think Mayfield and Allen are the two guys who "want it" more than anyone else.

I have become very high on Allen because (a) I'm a homer, and (b) what appears to be an intense desire to succeed coupled with ridiculous measurables.  Darnold has all of the skills, but does he have the fire?

Caveat:  I would have been very happy if the Bills drafted Darnold.  This is not an I'm-trashing-the-pick-because-it's-the-Jets post.

• Like (+1) 1