MMQB: The Jets' Long Road To Sam Darnold

Good, well written article.

The one thing it does confirm, that I suspected, is that the Jest knew they had 3 QB prospects they were happy with, before they made the trade up. While it almost certainly isn't something that will ordinarily be the case, they appear to have been well ahead with their QB evaluations for this class, and that meant they wee able to make their move early.

The fact they got the guy they preferred out of the 3, was simply gravy, and a reward for being ready sooner than others were.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Buddo said:

The one thing it does confirm, that I suspected, is that the Jest knew they had 3 QB prospects they were happy with, before they made the trade up. While it almost certainly isn't something that will ordinarily be the case, they appear to have been well ahead with their QB evaluations for this class, and that meant they wee able to make their move early.

The fact they got the guy they preferred out of the 3, was simply gravy, and a reward for being ready sooner than others were.

I thought this too, but I dont think they were any more ahead then the Bills or anyone else for that matter.

Teams are scouting at the same time of year, obviously. 

I bet they send in their reports at the same time too. The whole NFL is on the same timeline.  

I think that they had an general idea of what they wanted, panicked, and overpaid to get to #3 to ensure they got someone they wanted.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

When the Jets traded to 3 our GM said he has only spent 15 minutes with each QB, still evaluating. 

Beane will look like a genius if Edmunds and Allen are hits. If any other QB besides Mayfield hits and Allen doesn't, then we'll, you know what happens. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

The flip side is that they could have gotten one without moving up at all. By not letting the process play out they may have gotten caught in the frenzy. Would rosen plus 3 premium picks be better? Maybe. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Darnold is going to be a star.

And to think the team in NY that wins the most, the Giants, PASSED on Darnold to take a RB, which may in turn bring the Jets to glory.

Giants fans will have a hard time dealing with this.

I sure wish that was the other way around....

41 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The bills having interest in Josh Allen does not bod well for his future.  

The point was that the current regime of Mac and Bowles in NYJ also drafted Hackenberg and Petty. OTOH, McD and Beane’s regime have now drafted their first QB.

13 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Darnold is going to be a star.

And to think the team in NY that wins the most, the Giants, PASSED on Darnold to take a RB, which may in turn bring the Jets to glory.

Giants fans will have a hard time dealing with this.

Look at Nostradamus over here.

• Haha (+1) 1

They better hope Darnold is successful because the NY Media and their fans will eat him raw if he struggles. His personality doesn’t quite fit the mold. I think Mayfield would have been perfect for them, and something tells me Rosen doesn’t take media criticism well.

1 hour ago, Buffalo86 said:

If the Jets had no interest in Josh Allen, that could bode well for his future.

I wouldn't say the Jet's didn't have interest their area scout had Allen in his top 3. For obvious reasons Allen seems to be higher on what they see rather then the numbers. Allen was likely their #4 of top QB's, which makes sense after the Hackenberg experience. It would be difficult to sell a tools QB to the media/fans. 

"The final set of draft meetings is underway, and it’s time for scouts to present their background on players. Three stand out on the Jamal Adams level: Darnold, Mayfield and Barkley. Zach Truty, the national scout, has Mayfield. Shields, the area scout, has Darnold, Allen and Rosen. He’s written up 320 players in the 2018 draft cycle, but spent about 20-25% of his time over the last year on those three."