Harrison Phillips Senior Stats vs Suh

On 5/18/2018 at 1:03 AM, billspro said:

Thats not true at all. Phillips had lots of TFL and tackles at the LOS. He had to play nose against double teams, he did not have many pass rush opportunities. Phillips has more athletic ability than given credit for.

Not on the same level as Suh.  Not quite the explosion that Suh had in college.  Phillips is athletic but I repeat, he doesn't have the same explosion as Suh.  Suh was the second overall pick for a reason.  Watch his college tape and you'll see why.  Stats aren't everything, Phillips had some great statistics but he isn't the same type of talent as Suh was coming out of college. 

Phillips had a lot of tackles behind the line of scrimmage but Suh LIVED in the backfield in college.  He was just a different animal.  Watch the tape.

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Nailed it.

Suh was dominant in the NFL at first too, until his work ethic, poor attitude, and lack of discipline on the field caught up with him.

It seems like a lot of the dominant DTs fall from their greatness once they get paid. Sad to see such a great talent wasted.

Edited by Buffalo30

On 5/18/2018 at 5:04 AM, BillnutinHouston said:

Heart is not a measurable. 

not with a stop watch or a tape measure

But surely can be by watching the guy play.  KW is a great example of this, its obvious he has the biggest heart whenever he is on the field!!!

It sure sounds like Phillips might measure up well too....

Def not the same level of Suh but this guy could be a version of Kyle a Williams in 4 years. This guy will lean on Kyle long as he can then will supplant him. Pretty awesome

we have Kyles replacement ready to rock and considering his age, will be an improvement when he takes over 

I loved the Phillips pick...absolutely loved it.

Having said that, he's nowhere close to Suh, regardless of stats.  He looks like a really good player but Suh was a Heisman finalist for a reason.  I remember his performance in the Big 12 championship game against Texas and he wasn't just the best player on the field, he was the best player in the country.

Suh's senior season was off the charts.  But in 08 his stats almost mirror Harry's senior season.

My only point is that his production already speaks volumes. And that's one hell a guy to have statistical comparisons to.

He's going to be good.

13 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The comparison is Phillips to Suh??  Common, man!

Only because if you look....  There Is a good statistical comparison. I don't believe anybody has mentioned him being a dominant player like Sue. And at least I am only comparing Phillips last year in college to Sue's second to last year

On 5/17/2018 at 11:07 PM, Billsfanatixs said:

Was just looking over college DT stats; Phillips compares well with Suh, identical height and weight,  Phillips had a few more total tackles and Suh had 3 more sacks and 7 more tackles for a loss, but stats are pretty close. 

What am I missing, did Suh face tougher competition? The small differential in numbers may be far greater than I am giving credit for, but I would have though Phillips would have been touted higher.

...interesting comparison.......one thing comes to mind about the "feared" Suh.....pretty sure Bflo held him well in check when we thumped Lions in their barn and Schwartz got carried off the field....remember seeing Suh a couple of times at Nebraska and he was purely dominant...now purely dirty.....welcome Mr.Phillips.....

19 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I'm not sure about Suh but Phillips played somewhere around 90% of the defensive snaps for Stanford last season, which is a lot for a DL. He said he would have to pick and choose some plays where he wouldn't go all out in order to preserve some energy. As part of a consistent rotation, he has a chance to standout early in his career. Especially as he learns from a guy like 95. And a lot of his flaws can be corrected with coaching. 

I also thought it was funny to see that bit from a scouting report on Kyle, saying he's not much of an athlete, haha. It's funny because plenty of coaches and teammates have said Kyle is one of the best natural athletes they've been around. He's what they call a "big body athlete." He has an explosive first step, he's strong as hell and just as smart. I hear he's also a ridiculously good golfer. 

I think this Kid is going to be Kyles Long lost little brother come home. And i mean that in the most positive manner !

I agree muchly with the bolded.

16 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

Possibly Wyatt Tellier

yep !!

Looking at only stats is how people can make an argument that Tyrod is a Top 10 QB. If you actually watch him play, it’s a different story.

Suh was an absolute animal in college and it was known that we would be a top player taken in the draft. I didn’t hear about Phillips until we drafted him.

Edited by uticaclub

33 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Looking at only stats is how people can make an argument that Tyrod is a Top 10 QB. If you actually watch him play, it’s a different story.

Suh was an absolute animal in college and it was known that we would be a top player taken in the draft. I didn’t hear about Phillips until we drafted him.

I did, but not in the same sentence as Suh.

Now to be fair...I didnt know who Meatball was when we drafted him

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Yeah.. agree that Phillips should not be compared to Suh...

Number 2 versus Number 96 and all..

But... if you hadn't heard about Phillips before he was drafted then I question your interest in the draft process, particularly in a year when the Bills had three picks in the second/early third where he was being projected as going....

Phillips was a good get... They could have picked him at 53 and it wouldn't have been deemed a reach in my view...

Helped me take an edge off giving up their second rounders to get Allen as I genuinely would have been happy with him at 53 or 56...

• Like (+1) 1

Phillips stats really aren't as close to Suh as you think. They each started their last two years in college and in those two seasons, Suh had roughly 35% more production than Phillips. It's a pretty big difference.