How much longer will we have shady?

I'm afraid Shady's window is not going to be in synch with the team's window of success, assuming Allen beats the odds and develops into a franchise QB.

By the time we are good, Shady won't be in the mix.

23 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I'm afraid Shady's window is not going to be in synch with the team's window of success, assuming Allen beats the odds and develops into a franchise QB.

Yup. That's a real hard pill for many to swallow, but you are correct. He won't be part of this team's future success. 

Big fan of shady.  I honestly think this it, unless he restuctors at the end of the season for less.  4 mil cap savings.  Draft a runningback next year or see if Bell makes it out of Pittsburgh.

On the one hand, he's one of the few offensive weapons we have.  

On the other hand, he's hitting that age when backs start to decline.   

Despite his current level of ability, his trade value is minimal because of his age.  So I don't see him being traded.  When you only have one legit weapon on offense, you can't afford to give it up.  

I do see us looking to draft his replacement next year. 

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Bills will keep him till he retires. He made it the McBeane cut downs twice. He is a Bill.

Also many see him as the Fire in the Offense.
Gut tells me he will play be offered a new contract that reflects his future state. Savor him like a fine wine and use him in the appropriate occasions by 2019 if not sooner.

Let someone else grind the tough stuff

You said it the way I see it 3rdand12.  I believe he is a "McDermott" kind of guy.  He is the heart of the offense and the few million they

would save isn't worth it.  With Wood and Ritchie gone he is the "Leader of the Offense" and should stay that way next year too.

Heck with Kyle probably done after this year he is the "Leader of the Team".

The only way I see him leaving is if he get's frustrated with the O this season and wants to be traded in 2019.

I don't think that scenario will happen.

Edited by ColoradoBills

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The only way I see him leaving is if he get's frustrated with the O this season and wants to be traded in 2109.

I don't think that scenario will happen.

I don't see that happening either. Father time will catch up with him by 2109.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, rodneykm said:

I honestly think this is the last year we have him. I can see us dealing him back to Philly during the season if the negative Nancys here turn out to be correct. 

Right... because around the NFL there is huge demand for 31 year old RBs

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

So?

He will just have to get by on his multiple millions that he is paid then?

11 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I wonder if LeGarrette Blount thought the same thing when he signed with Philly and their 2nd year QB...

Maybe you're right, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

18 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I think he finishes his career in Buffalo. He hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, suprising given his age and miles on his legs. And although that time is nearing closer, his great vision will help him to stay productive near the end. I can see him playing another year or two at this level, and probably retires after a third. 

I don't agree with this.

No signs of slowing down? He has seen a jump in runs that go for negative yards, and it's not because he's doing anything different. It's because he is doing everything the same, but is no longer faster than everyone else.

He now gets injured more often, a telltale sign of "slowing down".

I really like Shady, but beyond this year I just don't see it. If his stats this year drop as much as they did from 2016 to 2017 (even with more carries in 2017), we probably won't pay him 10mil in 2019.

Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD

@Shotgunner I don't think his drop in YPC has as much to do with him, as it does the change in scheme and blocking principles of the Bills from 2016 to 2017. That, and having a much weaker WR group last year made things easier for defenses to stop the run against Buffalo. McCoy was much more of a focal point for defenses last year, IMO. And Woods is a very good blocker for a WR. Shouldn't runs for negative yards be more of a reflection of the offensive line and not the RB?

In 2015 and 2016, the Bills ran many plays with pulling linemen, which greatly helped McCoy's YPC. That, and having a capable back to spell him (which he didn't have last year). I don't know the exact number, but the Bills used pulling linemen far less frequently last season.

And he's not getting injured more frequently now. I don't know where people are getting that from.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoLe01.htm

In 2015, Rex played McCoy way too much in preseason, and he took a bunch of hard hits on several runs, leading to his injury (hamstring???). I remember it clearly, and never understood why they kept him on the field after those hits.

Watching him run last year, I don't remember any instance where I thought he had lost a step.

The last part of your post, I agree with though.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

@Shotgunner I don't think his drop in YPC has as much to do with him, as it does the change in scheme and blocking principles of the Bills from 2016 to 2017. That, and having a much weaker WR group last year made things easier for defenses to stop the run against Buffalo. McCoy was much more of a focal point for defenses last year, IMO. And Woods is a very good blocker for a WR. Shouldn't runs for negative yards be more of a reflection of the offensive line and not the RB?

In 2015 and 2016, the Bills ran many plays with pulling linemen, which greatly helped McCoy's YPC. That, and having a capable back to spell him (which he didn't have last year). I don't know the exact number, but the Bills used pulling linemen far less frequently last season.

And he's not getting injured more frequently now. I don't know where people are getting that from.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoLe01.htm

In 2015, Rex played McCoy way too much in preseason, and he took a bunch of hard hits on several runs, leading to his injury (hamstring???). I remember it clearly, and never understood why they kept him on the field after those hits.

Watching him run last year, I don't remember any instance where I thought he had lost a step.

The last part of your post, I agree with though.

I suppose the bolded is why we differ on this.

I thought, several times last year that McCoy looked to have lost a step.

That aside, my real premise is based on that huge money for a 30+ RB with declined production (despite the reasons). On it's face it just doesn't seem feasable.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills would be crazy to not trade him and get some picks for next year's draft.

I'm a big Shady fan.  But business is business.  If they find the right trading partner, it could be a win for the Bills, that team and for Shady.

Letting him become a free agent would be a major fail, IMO.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The Bills would be crazy to not trade him and get some picks for next year's draft.

I'm a big Shady fan.  But business is business.  If they find the right trading partner, it could be a win for the Bills, that team and for Shady.

Letting him become a free agent would be a major fail, IMO.

He has 2 years you see how he plays this year and decide then I’m fine with 2 years of shady and see if he wants to take a market value deal to stay or leave for a contender 

Just now, mikemac2001 said:

He has 2 years you see how he plays this year and decide then I’m fine with 2 years of shady and see if he wants to take a market value deal to stay or leave for a contender 

He's the 3rd oldest (I believe) RB in the league coming off his least productive season.  If he's still playing in two years, chances are he'll be worth very little.

I say get something for him while he's worth something.

4 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I wonder if LeGarrette Blount thought the same thing when he signed with Philly and their 2nd year QB...

Maybe you're right, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. 

Blount’s running style is not comparable with a player like Shady. Once he loses another half a step everyone will be ready for new blood at the position. Him remaining healthy for 16 games and averaging over 4YPC this season is a dream. 

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He's the 3rd oldest (I believe) RB in the league coming off his least productive season.  If he's still playing in two years, chances are he'll be worth very little.

I say get something for him while he's worth something.

I thought the oline play was poor and the scheme was terrible shady hasn’t taking hits like other rbs with no major injuries 

half the time he had a DL/LB in the backfield and had to make something out of nothing

also last year we had no backup (Tolbert sucked) I think limiting his reps and a better scheme his numbers will increase oline play still worries me but hoping a better OC can help minimize their weaknesses 

And what are we gonna get a 3rd? If that 

• Like (+1) 1