How much longer will we have shady?

1 hour ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I think he finishes his career in Buffalo. He hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, suprising given his age and miles on his legs. And although that time is nearing closer, his great vision will help him to stay productive near the end. I can see him playing another year or two at this level, and probably retires after a third. 

No signs of slowing down, you say.......you can always count on him to sit out a few games to injuries every season.

Father Time is undefeated.  At his cap number and fresh legs always available in draft at a discounted $, I suspect this will be his last year.  His ego is too big to realize what AP should have, the FA market is not kind to RBs at any age.  As a aging RB, always the reduced team deal.  Agents do their clients a disservice in not being honest with them.  Why the Bills gave him an extension when they did was confusing?  

2017 4.0 YPC, that will not merit his cap number.  Has dropped a bit over the years.

Edited by YodaMan79

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

If Allen plays like a top 10 pick should play, I see no reason the Bills can't be competing for a championship in 2019 or 2020 at the latest. We're going to have a ton of cap space in 2019 & can fill a lot of holes before the 2019 season.  I expect Allen to be playing by November or December at the latest (I'm hoping a lot sooner) this year & show up ready to start from day 1 in 2019. 

How much Kool-Aid did you drink? I want to be on your level.

10 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

Father Time is undefeated.  At his cap number and fresh legs always available in draft at a discounted $, I suspect this will be his last year.  His ego is too big to realize what AP should have, the FA market is not kind to RBs at any age.  As a aging RB, always the reduced team deal.  Agents do their clients a disservice in not being honest with them.  Why the Bills gave him an extension when they did was confusing?  

2017 4.0 YPC, that will not merit his cap number.  Has dropped a bit over the years.

Father time is not undefeated. Tom Brady has been beating it for the last 5 years

PLEASE just stay healthy! I’ll worry about this next offseason, and staying healthy will be an important factor in how that turns out. 

32 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Father time is not undefeated. Tom Brady has been beating it for the last 5 years

Brady is beating the odds, but he WILL lose. Father Time always wins. 

Edited by Augie

Since he still has 2 years on his deal, I think we'll keep him for both years at the very least - especially for next offseason when we can spend more liberally in FA to address OL/WR. I love how much of a team player he has become, how he's embraced our community and fanbase, and expressed his desire for a championship here. 

I'm thinking if Allen proves himself as franchise QB material sooner than later, an upward trajectory of this team would make him willing to sign an extension with us, but if we're going to be in a transitional phase, he'll walk as FA and there will be lots of gratitude on both ends for his time here.

Personally, I believe this is the last year we'll see Shady in Buffalo. The cap savings will be too enticing and the temptation to draft a new backfield that can grow with Allen and the offense will be too great to justify keeping Shady any longer. Perhaps Buffalo does him a favor and trades him to Philly for a late round pick so that he can chase a championship with a team that clearly still has his heart.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Personally, I believe this is the last year we'll see Shady in Buffalo. The cap savings will be too enticing and the temptation to draft a new backfield that can grow with Allen and the offense will be too great to justify keeping Shady any longer. Perhaps Buffalo does him a favor and trades him to Philly for a late round pick so that he can chase a championship with a team that clearly still has his heart.

That really has not been the MO of this front office.

When Boldin didnt want to play for us....Beane wasnt exactly accomodating to send him to another team.  I dont think Beane is in the business of helping other teams.  Also the fact that our cap room next year is already pretty high we can be major players in the free agent market.

Probably a lot of what is gonna happen will be determined on how Shady looks this year.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Thanks for checking that...it seems he was pretty durable last season and we didnt exactly platoon him with a great RB behind him either.

You're right.  We increased his workload in the rush game and passing game.  He didn't slow down last year.

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm not sure you quite understand what Beane has orchestrated with our cap.  Money will not be the reason.  

If Shady doesn't significantly get injured or dramatically slow down - he'll be back.  

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That really has not been the MO of this front office.

When Boldin didnt want to play for us....Beane wasnt exactly accomodating to send him to another team.  I dont think Beane is in the business of helping other teams. 

I get what you're saying, but this would be a different circumstance.

Boldin signed with the Bills, retired suddenly, then decided he wanted to come back and play -- but not for the Bills. Beane, in response to this lack of follow-thru on the commitment he made to the Bills and the obvious fact that Boldin wanted to play for the division rival Patriots*, decided not to let him out of the contract. 

McCoy on the other hand, would be quite different. It would be the Bills deciding they want to go with a youth movement at the position and save cap dollars by drafting a running back of the future. As a good will gesture and a "thank you" to McCoy, I could see Beane trading McCoy (to an NFC team, mind you) to a team for whom he wants to play, who is more ready for a championship run.

The Boldin situation was a response to a lack of loyalty and follow-thru. The McCoy situation would be a "thank you" to a classy player by allowing him to chase a ring while the Bills, who are still not quite at that level yet, draft and sign youth in the coming offseason.

This will be his last season.  I haven't totally written off the idea of him being traded at some point this season if we have a poor record.  Not sure another team would want to take on his contract, but if hes having a stellar stat yr. maybe the Bills woiuld look to move him for a mid round pick to a team that has SB hopes and needs a back.  

My gut feeling is that this will be his last year as a Bill.  Age will eventually catch up to him and he has a large cap hit.  If he defies the odds and continues to play at the same level, I could see him staying an additional year, but the team may restructure him at a lower number (if he is willing) and they will definitely have to draft a "RB of the future" next year whether McCoy stays or not.  I was surprised they didn't draft one this year and the FA's they have brought in at the position are all older guys, so there really isn't a successor on the roster.

Edited by msw2112