Top 10 Boneheaded Moves of NFL offseason

With absolutely no due respect to "Justis Mosqueda", whoever he really is, he's the #1 bonehead in his own article.

Knocking the Jets for giving up some 2nd round picks (!!) to get to 3, where they got their pick of two of the best QBs,  because of how things went down on draft day is just stupid. 

Alos, he makes the hiring of Gruen #1,  yet he doesn't even mention the decision not to fire Hue Jackson--the worst HC in the history of the NFL.

7 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not sure the Jets should have been the team criticized in that deal. Had the Colts held that pick until draft night, they might have been able to get a better deal once Darnold slid to three.

Ya the Jets got a steal. 

38 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Bills have had bonehead off season if I've ever seen one:

1) Signing Star who has underachieved for consecutive years now

2) Overpaying Trent Murphy who has injury concerns and was suspended for PEFS

3) Chris Ivory - really? 

4) Not addressing Wide Receiver in a remotely impactful way

5) Trading 2 second round picks for a statistically inferior prospect

6) Leaving the draft with 3 picks in the first 3 rounds when they started with 6 and have a roster full of needs.

You could also look as those moves as the greatest offseason in Bills history. We will find out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Bills have had bonehead off season if I've ever seen one:

1) Signing Star who has underachieved for consecutive years now

2) Overpaying Trent Murphy who has injury concerns and was suspended for PEFS

3) Chris Ivory - really? 

4) Not addressing Wide Receiver in a remotely impactful way

5) Trading 2 second round picks for a statistically inferior prospect

6) Leaving the draft with 3 picks in the first 3 rounds when they started with 6 and have a roster full of needs.

Debbie-Downer-Negative-Nellies-Confront-

• Like (+1) 1

Kirk Cousins $87m, $87m guaranteed, with a Keenum that could have kept the core team together (don't see thielen producing with Cousins; see terrell pryor.

Broncos releasing CJ Anderson.

Albert Wilson 3 years 24M 14M guaranteed. Albert Wilson has never topped more than 42 catches, 554 receiving yards or three touchdowns in a single season.

Lotuleilei was paid waaay to much, Because he's a Panther's defender. Position of need though, and a decent player. But Lordy.

DJ Hayden 3 years 19M

I could go on, teams really screw up free agency.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

A better deal than 3 2nd rd picks to move down to a spot where they were able to draft one of the top 3 players in the draft?  I doubt it.  That deal was perfect for them and I personally don’t think there could be another deal better

I wasn't talking about the Jets. The Colts could have gotten more for that pick on draft night when Darnold fell to three.

I still don’t get the hate on the Jets move. 

They gave up 3 2nds to guarantee a top 3 QB in the draft, and probably thought top 2 QB. (Which it turned out to be as the giants picked Barkley)

I think it was a smart move by them 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I still don’t get the hate on the Jets move. 

They gave up 3 2nds to guarantee a top 3 QB in the draft, and probably thought top 2 QB. (Which it turned out to be as the giants picked Barkley)

I think it was a smart move by them 

dumb hate

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

With absolutely no due respect to "Justis Mosqueda", whoever he really is, he's the #1 bonehead in his own article.

Knocking the Jets for giving up some 2nd round picks (!!) to get to 3, where they got their pick of two of the best QBs,  because of how things went down on draft day is just stupid. 

Alos, he makes the hiring of Gruen #1,  yet he doesn't even mention the decision not to fire Hue Jackson--the worst HC in the history of the NFL.

It's gonna be fun to watch Hue vs. Haley and the Tyrod vs. Mayfield affair. I would put my money on Hue being gone by mid season. Either way it's his last year.

17 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not sure the Jets should have been the team criticized in that deal. Had the Colts held that pick until draft night, they might have been able to get a better deal once Darnold slid to three.

I don’t think so.  The Colts wanted Nelson and beyond 6 was not sure to get him - I think they moved back as far as they wanted and got huge value.

I think the Jets could of got away with less, but they got a guy they wanted it was smart.

Good trade for both - Jets paid a huge premium, but essentially got the guy they probably would have taken if they had moved to 1.  I think they wanted and planned for Mayfield because they did not see the Browns taking him at 1.

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he is going to fall flat on his face. Just a gut feeling. 

I agree - just never impressed me as a coach and I think with everything they have going on - they are going to bust hard for a few years.

18 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

The Giants using the second overall pick on a RB is far, far worse.  If Darnold turns into a franchise QB ( I don’t think he will, but whatever) then it was a great trade.   

I do agree on the Gruden hiring, though.  He will be worse than Rex, and he’s already making huge mistakes.

9 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I wasn't talking about the Jets. The Colts could have gotten more for that pick on draft night when Darnold fell to three.

That’s an interesting point, but I’m not sure who would have offered more.  And Indy wanted to come away with a top 7 or 8 pick.

Edited by mannc

18 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

This article could very well have described the Jets' boneheaded non-move of staying at #6, watching someone else pay the price to get up to #3 and/or #4 and/or #5, thus preventing the Jets from getting their guy. Yeah, the price was steep, but no one will care if Darnold lights up the league. 

Or the story of them getting to 3 at a huge premium only to see their two favorite QBs gone

If the Giants selected Darnold (which they should have) then the Jets looked pretty bad moving up three spots to get the 3rd qb taking. The fact that Darnold of all QB's was sitting there at three makes the Jets move justified.

I can only imagine what their war room looked like when the Browns were the Browns again and took Mayfield.  

49 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Problem is this regime is infatuated with players they had in Carolina. So much so that they overpay (Star) and overplay (Tolbert).

Not the sharpest football minds do things like this. 

Today I learned the veteran minimum can be classified as 'overpayment'

20 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

This article could very well have described the Jets' boneheaded non-move of staying at #6, watching someone else pay the price to get up to #3 and/or #4 and/or #5, thus preventing the Jets from getting their guy. Yeah, the price was steep, but no one will care if Darnold lights up the league. 

I kind of disagree in assuming that staying at 6 would´ve been a bonehead move, since there is NO WAY the Jests would guess how the QBs taken will unfold until that very same day, ITOH, our team stayed put and traded until they knew how things were unfolding regarding QBs, thus why we are not in the sh1t list (quoting PTR) this time for a change! 

Edited by BuffaLoko