Top 10 Boneheaded Moves of NFL offseason

Fish make the list for getting nothing in return for Suh, and Jets make the list for giving up 3 seconds in March to move up 3 spots 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776135-the-most-boneheaded-moves-of-the-nfl-offseason

In March, more than a month before the 2018 NFL draft, the New York Jets traded three second-round picks and the sixth selection to the Indianapolis Colts for the third overall pick. According to Pro Football Focus' Eric Eager's model, the Colts should win that trade about two-thirds of the time.

The assumption was the Jets were moving up for a quarterback, which was the case, but the draft didn't shake out as we imagined in March. No. 1 pick Baker Mayfield was not the favorite to go there until the day the Cleveland Browns drafted him, and many assumed the Giants were in the market for a quarterback at No. 2.

Instead, the Giants drafted Penn State running back Saquon Barkley, leaving the likes of Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen—three quarterbacks who were potential first overall picks—all on the board. The Jets selected Darnold at No. 3, but both Allen (No. 7) and Rosen (No. 10), were taken after the sixth overall pick, the selection the Jets originally owned.

One has to wonder if New York, after the quarterbacks dropped, would've taken the trade back. If the Jets waited to pull the trigger until April, would they even have made the deal, or would they have sat back at No. 6?

I'm not sure the Jets should have been the team criticized in that deal. Had the Colts held that pick until draft night, they might have been able to get a better deal once Darnold slid to three.

• Like (+1) 7

14 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Kinda early...

But I do enjoy reading words.

I too enjoy words. 

I also enjoy laughing at the Jets...

Don't get me wrong, I think Darnold is a great QB prospect. But giving away what they did to move up three spots, weeks away from the draft was crazy. Reminds me of a similar move made by Doug to get (not Mack, who I thought for sure we were going after) Sammy...

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not sure the Jets should have been the team criticized in that deal. Had the Colts held that pick until draft night, they might have been able to get a better deal once Darnold slid to three.

Probably would have gotten both of our firsts and a second. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

the Jets got their guy.    Really all that matters 

Unless their guy was Mayfield. 

Darnold was my guy, but now that he’s a New Jersey Jets, I hope for him to bust hard.

This article could very well have described the Jets' boneheaded non-move of staying at #6, watching someone else pay the price to get up to #3 and/or #4 and/or #5, thus preventing the Jets from getting their guy. Yeah, the price was steep, but no one will care if Darnold lights up the league. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Unless their guy was Mayfield. 

Darnold was my guy, but now that he’s a New Jersey Jets, I hope for him to bust hard.

I think their guy was mayfield. Not to say they didn’t like Darnold but I think baker was their #1.

Jets gave up a lot. In hindsight the Jets move was a panic move because it looks like they didn't get their guy and they probably could of stayed at 6 and gotten Darnold.. Hindsight being 20/20 and all

captain-hindsight.jpg

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

This article could very well have described the Jets' boneheaded non-move of staying at #6, watching someone else pay the price to get up to #3 and/or #4 and/or #5, thus preventing the Jets from getting their guy. Yeah, the price was steep, but no one will care if Darnold lights up the league. 

Yeah, I can't fault the Jets for that move.... if they sat at #6 its very likely at least we would have jumped ahead of them and maybe the Cards as well.  Clearly they had a preference and weren't content with just one of the four regardless.  They got the guy at #3 who everyone believed would be #1 up until a day before the draft.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Jets gave up a lot. In hindsight the Jets move was a panic move because it looks like they didn't get their guy and they probably could of stayed at 6 and gotten Darnold.. Hindsight being 20/20 and all

captain-hindsight.jpg

Don't worry, I'm ready to provide perfect hindsight when necessary 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

A better deal than 3 2nd rd picks to move down to a spot where they were able to draft one of the top 3 players in the draft?  I doubt it.  That deal was perfect for them and I personally don’t think there could be another deal better

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Absolutely. The Jets decided to go for it - move to the #3 spot where they were certain to get one of the top 3 QBs.

One of the Jets 2nd rounders is for 2019, which values it as a 3rd this year.

Of course it is always costly to move up, but sometimes more costly if you do nothing.

4 hours ago, NextYear'sTheOne said:

Probably would have gotten both of our firsts and a second. 

Probably?  Probably would have cost a heck of a lot more than both 1st's and a second to ask them to slide to 12 vs 6.

When you say probably - are you thinking one of our firsts and a second?

Bills have had bonehead off season if I've ever seen one:

1) Signing Star who has underachieved for consecutive years now

2) Overpaying Trent Murphy who has injury concerns and was suspended for PEFS

3) Chris Ivory - really? 

4) Not addressing Wide Receiver in a remotely impactful way

5) Trading 2 second round picks for a statistically inferior prospect

6) Leaving the draft with 3 picks in the first 3 rounds when they started with 6 and have a roster full of needs.