Arena Football

5 hours ago, ddaryl said:

You just described the NBA. Wait till there is 4 minutes left and then watch the game because that is all that matters

???

1q   2q  3q  4q  T

21   29  29  26  105

26   38  31  32  127

1    2    3     4      T

39  22  23  21    105

12  23  25   22    82

when were these two games decided/won? 1st or 2nd half?

6 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Does/has anybody watched or followed Arena Football extensively ? I never went to a Destroyers game, and Houston doesn't have a team. But every year, during the off season, just because I miss football, and nothing better is on, I watch about half a  game. I'm always disappointed in the fact that there's zero defense, and it basically become a game of hot potato to see who scores last before the clock ends. I'm curious if there's some nuance that I'm missing, or is it truly a terrible excuse for football.

There are two different types of games. Arena Football and Indoor Football.

Arena has the nets and circus goofiness. Indoor Football has no nets.

Indoor is closer to real football as they actually run the ball. Arena not so much.

Both are a far cry from real football but fill a niche in spring summer programming for arenas that would otherwise be empty and is loads better than indoor soccor. I would go if team was near by.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ddaryl said:

You just described the NBA. Wait till there is 4 minutes left and then watch the game because that is all that matters

But make sure to Tivo it so you can fast forward through the commercials and all the time outs.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, cba fan said:

???

1q   2q  3q  4q  T

21   29  29  26  105

26   38  31  32  127

1    2    3     4      T

39  22  23  21    105

12  23  25   22    82

when were these two games decided/won? 1st or 2nd half?

There are two different types of games. Arena Football and Indoor Football.

Arena has the nets and circus goofiness. Indoor Football has no nets.

Indoor is closer to real football as they actually run the ball. Arena not so much.

Both are a far cry from real football but fill a niche in spring summer programming for arenas that would otherwise be empty and is loads better than indoor soccor. I would go if team was near by.

LMAO.. Basketball is boring.. That was the point. All you ever have to do is tune not the last few minutes.

13 hours ago, Irv said:

YOU ARE DESCRIBING NASCAR

Nascar is go straight turn left snore fest.. There no reason to watch it at all let alone the last 4 minutes.. Same with indy care.. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The fact the league shrank to just 5 teams is telling. People prefer real football. Unfortunately real football at a minor level is cost prohibitive.

It's actually only four teams, one of which - the Albany Empire - is in its inaugural season.

If I lived closer to Albany, I'd go to games.  But, to me, it's frankly not worth the 100 miles round-trip plus the price of tickets, food, etc.

The game sounds interesting.  The local rock station I listen to in the morning has "AFL 101," every Friday, during which they have someone from the team (usually the HC or the GM) to "quiz" one of the DJs on the rules and nuances of the game.  I think it sounds pretty cool.  A little gimmicky, but still cool.

4 hours ago, ddaryl said:

LMAO.. Basketball is boring.. That was the point. All you ever have to do is tune not the last few minutes.

Nascar is go straight turn left snore fest.. There no reason to watch it at all let alone the last 4 minutes.. Same with indy care.. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What sport is boring and what sport is interesting is completely subjective.

Euros hate baseball and love soccor. They think baseball is boring.

Americans hate soccor and love baseball. Americans are bored out of their heads watching nothing happen for 3 hours than a lucky weird bounce goal decides some team is much better than the other.

Americans hate Hockey overall and love pro Golf and NFL. (based on tv ratings only) hockey too have too many lucky goals deciding games.

Basketball has some of the highest ratings in tv sports and is by far the #1 participant sport in US history. Not even that close.

Nothing wrong with you finding it boring. To each his own but you are in the minority about basketball was my point., and the statements about NBA games mostly decided in last few minutes is dead wrong, was my main point.

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

Americans hate soccor and love baseball. Americans are bored out of their heads watching nothing happen for 3 hours than a lucky weird bounce goal decides some team is much better than the other.

Americans hate Hockey overall and love pro Golf and NFL. (based on tv ratings only) hockey too have too many lucky goals deciding games.

Basketball has some of the highest ratings in tv sports and is by far the #1 participant sport in US history. Not even that close.

Nothing wrong with you finding it boring. To each his own but you are in the minority about basketball was my point., and the statements about NBA games mostly decided in last few minutes is dead wrong, was my main point.

I laid my opinion out. I didnt' really care for a major retort trying to justify the FACT that watching the NBA sucks.

I am the majority me and me alone.....

• Sad 1

Man D. Stop being a dick.

We were just having a nice friendly debate. Which sport sucks is complete individual opinion. You never laid out your opinion about why it sucks. I was curious why you thought it sucked. No need to know now. No need to respond more. Peace out.

Edited by cba fan

On 5/17/2018 at 12:31 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Does/has anybody watched or followed Arena Football extensively ? I never went to a Destroyers game, and Houston doesn't have a team. But every year, during the off season, just because I miss football, and nothing better is on, I watch about half a  game. I'm always disappointed in the fact that there's zero defense, and it basically become a game of hot potato to see who scores last before the clock ends. I'm curious if there's some nuance that I'm missing, or is it truly a terrible excuse for football.

I hear Jay Cutler is joining the Arena League...

The thing is, when it comes to sports, its hard to get into a sport unless it has the potential to get you angry. If your team isn't playing in the game, you have to believe the fan base cares enough about their team, that if something happened that didn't go their way, they would get angry. Arena football doesn't have that. Its just a game for people that weren't good enough for the NFL or CFL. You might like baseball, but how many Bison's games would you watch on TV. Its fun to go, but there is no way it will ever feel like the real thing. I need a story line behind the game.

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

The thing is, when it comes to sports, its hard to get into a sport unless it has the potential to get you angry. If your team isn't playing in the game, you have to believe the fan base cares enough about their team, that if something happened that didn't go their way, they would get angry. Arena football doesn't have that. Its just a game for people that weren't good enough for the NFL or CFL. You might like baseball, but how many Bison's games would you watch on TV. Its fun to go, but there is no way it will ever feel like the real thing. I need a story line behind the game.

When I lived back home, I actually subscribed to the $20 a year subscription to stream live Bisons games. I was a huge fan of them, and at the time rooted for the Cleveland Indians. 

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

When I lived back home, I actually subscribed to the $20 a year subscription to stream live Bisons games. I was a huge fan of them, and at the time rooted for the Cleveland Indians. 

Did you ever see Dion Sanders play for the Bisons? 

Syracuse used to have a team....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syracuse_Soldiers

Lasted less than one season, I think they went through three owners. Side note, I worked for them since I was on temporary lay off from work, doing the pre-game and in game music. It was actually fun, but very apparent that they were not drawing the crowds needed to sell tickets and pay the players. They played on a cheap ass AstroTurf field than was laid out over the ice for our hockey team. That was one rock hard surface.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/18/2018 at 8:28 AM, ddaryl said:

Let me guess... You love hockey though?

On 5/18/2018 at 12:58 PM, cba fan said:

Your getting offended in this thread is as confusing as bringing soccer into it.

Also soccer games never go three hours and don't have commercials during play. But if you'd rather watch baseball or bud light commercials that's cool.

My three sports to watch are Football, football, and basketball. The only one I watch live unless I'm attending is the Football with the capital F because of commercials.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Your getting offended in this thread is as confusing as bringing soccer into it.

Also soccer games never go three hours and don't have commercials during play. But if you'd rather watch baseball or bud light commercials that's cool.

My three sports to watch are Football, football, and basketball. The only one I watch live unless I'm attending is the Football with the capital F because of commercials.

Confused? Yes I am. Offended not so much.

So you disparage baseball fans as you incorrectly surmise they like to sit through commercials?  and yet you like Football because it has commercials??

I was not offended just was asking for his reasons why he hated BB.

(before you go off and meant soccor with the capital F reference as soccor. In US, football in any print is American football. http://www.businessinsider.com/football-vs-soccer-map-2013-12 )

PS: those running ribbon ads around ground level of soccor matches are more than annoying.

Edited by cba fan

On 5/21/2018 at 10:32 AM, cba fan said:

Confused? Yes I am. Offended not so much.

So you disparage baseball fans as you incorrectly surmise they like to sit through commercials?  and yet you like Football because it has commercials??

I was not offended just was asking for his reasons why he hated BB.

(before you go off and meant soccor with the capital F reference as soccor. In US, football in any print is American football. http://www.businessinsider.com/football-vs-soccer-map-2013-12 )

PS: those running ribbon ads around ground level of soccor matches are more than annoying.

No that's not what I said at all...

It was about NFL fans. I rarely watch a game live unless I'm there. I'd rather start it a half hour late, disconnect, and watch the game being able to skip through commercials.

Totally misconstrued my words. The commercials give you a break from baseball, I'm sure baseball fans love commercials.

Also the soccor thing? I'm not surprised your post is this idiotic. 

14 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

No that's not what I said at all...

It was about NFL fans. I rarely watch a game live unless I'm there. I'd rather start it a half hour late, disconnect, and watch the game being able to skip through commercials.

Totally misconstrued my words. The commercials give you a break from baseball, I'm sure baseball fans love commercials.

Also the soccor thing? I'm not surprised your post is this idiotic. 

We might speak different languages and are lost in translation. I am more confused now. But curious. Not trying to be argumentative.

so you tell me my interpretation is wrong and meant baseball fans like commercials because it gives them a break from the game they love? Commercials that you hate and watch soccor, or NFL on tape delay, to avoid? 

Makes no sense. Nobody likes commercials and hardly anyone watches them. They go to concessions or kitchen or restroom or check cell phone or talk to their friends when they are on.

So did the cap F in Football reference you referred to mean soccor or American football?

Do you find the running ads on soccor field ground level annoying?

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, That_Guy said:

don't worry, the XFL is making a comeback!

I'm actually legitimately excited about this. I don't think it'll be as gimmicky as the last time. They learned from their mistakes. They're gonna cater to the good ol' boys who are boycotting the NFL, and will probably be a bit more lenient on what's allowed as far as a hit/tackle, etc. Think the NFL 15-20 years ago. Talent level won't be the same. But as long as Vince doesn't pull a USFL, and understands that he's playing second fiddle (third if you include NCAA) to the NFL for the foreseeable future, It'll be a good holdover during the NFL offseason. 

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I'm actually legitimately excited about this. I don't think it'll be as gimmicky as the last time. They learned from their mistakes. They're gonna cater to the good ol' boys who are boycotting the NFL, and will probably be a bit more lenient on what's allowed as far as a hit/tackle, etc. Think the NFL 15-20 years ago. Talent level won't be the same. But as long as Vince doesn't pull a USFL, and understands that he's playing second fiddle (third if you include NCAA) to the NFL for the foreseeable future, It'll be a good holdover during the NFL offseason. 

i'm hyped for it as well.  the 1st time around, i had a plan to become a kicker in the XFL but it folded before i could get there.  now's my chance!