Arena Football

Does/has anybody watched or followed Arena Football extensively ? I never went to a Destroyers game, and Houston doesn't have a team. But every year, during the off season, just because I miss football, and nothing better is on, I watch about half a  game. I'm always disappointed in the fact that there's zero defense, and it basically become a game of hot potato to see who scores last before the clock ends. I'm curious if there's some nuance that I'm missing, or is it truly a terrible excuse for football.

44 minutes ago, BuffaloTX said:

unnamed.thumb.gif.21c379e4612259c8842e4e299ca4ac68.thumb.gif.a716e704fec45c2404d44308041d30b7.gif

I think you have the wrong thread...

When I'm Jonesing for football, I watch CFL. The rules May be different, but its "sufficient" for me, and serves as a reminder that the NFL season is right around the corner.

Arena football just isn't my thing, but I'll attend a game just for the party atmosphere.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

and it basically become a game of hot potato to see who scores last before the clock ends. I

You just described the NBA. Wait till there is 4 minutes left and then watch the game because that is all that matters

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

Had seasons for a few years, loved going to the games.  Browning Nagle was our QB at the time.  

Certainly not NFL football.  Not defensive on purpose, wanted high scoring, long throws, acrobatic catches(falling over the boards), no run game.  Would still have my seasons today if they stuck around.  

On on a side note, thankfully mark hamister didn’t get the Sabres they way he drove the destroyers out of town.  Had great attendance for an OK team.

Edited by davefan66

I used to go to the old Albany Firebirds games during the years 1990 to 2000, I had season tickets for a year or 2 during the Bills Super Bowl years. I went to all 4 Super Bowls & my next game would be an Arena game.  I saw the Buffalo Destroyers play twice in Albany. I have no intention of seeing any Albany Empire games.  The league is currently a shell of its former self.

My 1st Arena game was in 6/23/1988 in Madison Square Garden the NY Knights were playing.  I was in NYC that day on business & stayed to watch the Arenaball game out of curiosity.  The best part of that game was there was an old guy with a young wife sitting in front of a bunch of college age guys.  The college age guys were cursing & the old guy told them to stop cursing in front of his wife.  Things got heated and the younger guys finally had enough of some old guy trying to look tough in front of his trophy wife & they cursed at him and then threw their beer at him & left.  He went chasing after them, which was kind of ridiculous since they were younger & stronger than him & he eventually returned to his seat.  I have no idea if he ever caught up with them, but since he came back & wasn't bleeding, my guess is he didn't.  What I also remember about that day was it was the day Billy Martin got fired for the last time as Yankee manager.  When the Knights were doing poorly,  I yelled out they should fire their coach & hire Billy Martin, since he had just become available.

• Like (+1) 1

The Orlando Predators used to be an awesome night back in the 90s.  Every girl on they put on the jumbotron went Girls Gone Wild, beer was cheap, and the T shirt cannon fired off about every 5 minutes.   

Football, no there wasn't much of that, even with Jay Gruden as the HC.   

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Does/has anybody watched or followed Arena Football extensively ? I never went to a Destroyers game, and Houston doesn't have a team. But every year, during the off season, just because I miss football, and nothing better is on, I watch about half a  game. I'm always disappointed in the fact that there's zero defense, and it basically become a game of hot potato to see who scores last before the clock ends. I'm curious if there's some nuance that I'm missing, or is it truly a terrible excuse for football.

No it's that bad

But a lot of the college teams have their spring games on TV, so there is that.

I used to go to the Predators games in Orlando.  Good time and high scoring. I don't live there anymore and Gruden is in Washington now.  Once upon a time he was coaching the Preds. 

Edited by JinxedBill1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I used to go to the old Albany Firebirds games during the years 1990 to 2000, I had season tickets for a year or 2 during the Bills Super Bowl years. I went to all 4 Super Bowls & my next game would be an Arena game.  I saw the Buffalo Destroyers play twice in Albany. I have no intention of seeing any Albany Empire games.  The league is currently a shell of its former self.

My 1st Arena game was in 6/23/1988 in Madison Square Garden the NY Knights were playing.  I was in NYC that day on business & stayed to watch the Arenaball game out of curiosity.  The best part of that game was there was an old guy with a young wife sitting in front of a bunch of college age guys.  The college age guys were cursing & the old guy told them to stop cursing in front of his wife.  Things got heated and the younger guys finally had enough of some old guy trying to look tough in front of his trophy wife & they cursed at him and then threw their beer at him & left.  He went chasing after them, which was kind of ridiculous since they were younger & stronger than him & he eventually returned to his seat.  I have no idea if he ever caught up with them, but since he came back & wasn't bleeding, my guess is he didn't.  What I also remember about that day was it was the day Billy Martin got fired for the last time as Yankee manager.  When the Knights were doing poorly,  I yelled out they should fire their coach & hire Billy Martin, since he had just become available.

Oh, don't you worry, I caught up with the whippersnappers and gave them the business but good.  They didn't know whether to sh=t or go blind when I got done with 'em.  

Reminds me of a story when I was in Europe in '44...

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Had seasons for a few years, loved going to the games.  Browning Nagle was our QB at the time.  

Certainly not NFL football.  Not defensive on purpose, wanted high scoring, long throws, acrobatic catches(falling over the boards), no run game.  Would still have my seasons today if they stuck around.  

On on a side note, thankfully mark hamister didn’t get the Sabres they way he drove the destroyers out of town.  Had great attendance for an OK team.

From what I understand they basically sold out the entire 100 section of HSBC, or whatever tf they call that place now.

5 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

...great venue for your boy The Cutlet to try out......PERFECT fit for a terrible excuse for football (PLAYER)..................

5 hours ago, ddaryl said:

You just described the NBA. Wait till there is 4 minutes left and then watch the game because that is all that matters

YOU ARE DESCRIBING NASCAR

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1