Hard Knocks 2018: The Cleveland Browns

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I haven't watched the second episode yet, but the first made me appreciate Hue Jackson more. I've generally liked what I've seen from him, he's landed in to dysfunctional spots that make the Bills during the drought look competent at all times.

I'm not saying I'm right, it's just how I feel watching it. It's impossible to say a guy who is 1-31 or whatever is doing a good job. But that roster has been a mess. 

Now if you're talking whole coaching staff, that meeting in the first episode looks like a train wreck where guys are challenging him. It was sharks smelling blood in the water. But his interactions with players, I generally liked it, especially the talk with Baker.

Also, all the **** he has been through and kept it to himself, stayed a professional. Didn't tell people or whine about it even though you could tell he was hurting, I thought it was admirable. That does nothing as a head coach, but I just generally find him to be a good guy. And a sympathetic figure at this point. 

I don't like a lot of NFL coaches, but I do hope somewhere, if not Cleveland, he finds success as a HC.

Wow, I came away from the first episode thinking exactly the opposite -- he's a terrible head coach!  I have empathy for his family losses, but aside from that I thought he looked clueless.

Staff is a mess and Haley knows it. I liked how he called out resting starters due to bumps and nicks in practice in the first episode as the players are not ready. Hue basically just said it's my call and deal with it. 

Going to be a long year for the Browns

• Like (+1) 1

What I think Hard Knocks does, and this goes to the Hue Jackson issue of his loss, is it humanizes the coaches and players. It demonstrates that the players, while trying to make the team or improve the team and do well, also have families, interests, concerns, challenges, and disappointments or loss in their lives. I find that aspect of it fascinating. Not to say we don't already know these men are human beings, but it is easy to be disassociated with their humanity. Hard Knocks helps to bring some of that back into focus.

As for Hue, just about everyone has said it, I feel bad for the guy because you can see he's trying - but you can also see he's in way over his head. The loss of his brother and mother in a short time at what is probably the most crucial period of his professional life, is significant amount of trauma to manage in the midst of having all of the work pressures come to bear. That said, Haley to me is funny in some respects but in other ways he's an impish, arrogant d-bag. Greggo just feels the need to always try and bully his players rather than inspire them - and, while it may or may not be true - the "heart" of that team feels....manufactured in my opinion. I'll watch next week for many of the reasons mentioned plus they play the Bills....so, of course I'll watch. But, that team really seems like a cluster of dysfunction. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think it's probably this way with a lot/almost every NFL team, but as someone that's currently going through "High Powered Organizations in the 21st Century" training this week, watching the way the Browns operate is such a shock to the system; they pretty much go against everything that you learn about how a well-functioning organization should be run.

It’s almost like a Hard Knocks parody. They look ridiculous. Having to yell at players not to stand around at camp - he looked like a frustrated dad of lazy teenagers. Are none of them self-motivated? Are there any vocal leaders on the team other than Landry (who have that speech last week but what’s he doing on the field to drive some accountability)? It’s just the coaches yelling not to stand around but then they make njoku catch 30 balls off the jugs machine and sit there in folding chairs watching him instead of actually teaching him the fundamentals of catching which he clearly needs. It reminds me of how Rex’s camp probably was. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

Haley is a tough to like but has had success as an OC.  

Hue Jackson seems like a classier version of Rex Ryan...but not by a whole lot.  

Williams...ugh.  

Still feel that letting Tyrod go and be left with Peterman and Mcarron to mentor Allen was a big mistake.   I just like his character and athleticism.  

The coverage of the Coleman trade left me wondering what the heck this guy is all about and hope he doesn’t become a distraction.  

But all in all watching Hard Knocks (despite the cheesy fluff) made me really happy that it’s football season again!

Go Bills!

Me too...the problem is his passing

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s almost like a Hard Knocks parody. They look ridiculous. Having to yell at players not to stand around at camp - he looked like a frustrated dad of lazy teenagers. Are none of them self-motivated? Are there any vocal leaders on the team other than Landry (who have that speech last week but what’s he doing on the field to drive some accountability)? It’s just the coaches yelling not to stand around but then they make njoku catch 30 balls off the jugs machine and sit there in folding chairs watching him instead of actually teaching him the fundamentals of catching which he clearly needs. It reminds me of how Rex’s camp probably was. 

I believe the Browns FO has a say what's going to be shown?  I wonder if they want Hue to look ridiculous or they just don't know he looks ridiculous and think it's normal.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I believe the Browns FO has a say what's going to be shown?  I wonder if they want Hue to look ridiculous or they just don't know he looks ridiculous and think it's normal.

I mean, it's "possible", but given Dorsey's resume and other coaches he's been with, I find it hard to believe he thinks Hue is coaching in a way or at a level he thinks is championship caliber. Honestly, and many of us have speculated the same thing since Dorsey retained Hue, I think Dorsey is merely allowing Hue to demonstrate his incompetence for this year so he can either promote Haley or bring in someone else. Getting Tyrod for him probably allows him to appear as though they're trying to win this year, when in reality, they're all holding their spots until Mayfield is ready. And Landry's contract and signing is also more about the years to come than the present. JMO....

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Lol thanks have a good one. Worried about him being a good HC, are you illiterate? 

Just put me on ignore. Don't care what you think. 

I completely agree with you on this. That's why I'm saying the assistants look like sharks smelling blood in the water. Both Haley and Williams, and probably a few others took those jobs to advance themselves. Hopefully get a few games as interim HC, win a game or two and pit their name in the mix for another HC job.

I 100% agree with you on this. Williams or Haley will be primed to take over. And when they do, they’ll be the ones that start their new shiny toy - Baker Mayfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I mean, it's "possible", but given Dorsey's resume and other coaches he's been with, I find it hard to believe he thinks Hue is coaching in a way or at a level he thinks is championship caliber. Honestly, and many of us have speculated the same thing since Dorsey retained Hue, I think Dorsey is merely allowing Hue to demonstrate his incompetence for this year so he can either promote Haley or bring in someone else. Getting Tyrod for him probably allows him to appear as though they're trying to win this year, when in reality, they're all holding their spots until Mayfield is ready. And Landry's contract and signing is also more about the years to come than the present. JMO....

That's what I was getting at.  It makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

-I don't think there's a person coach in the entire world sports more unlikable than Gregg Williams.

Fixed

13 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Hue seems like a dad that is trying to be cool and be friends with his kids and their friends, but also trying unsuccessfully to be the authority figure.  A guy that the kids humor so they can get away with whatever they want.  

He looked so weak when standing up there saying “yo if you get in trouble, you get one mulligan! Just one though and you better not lie!” Meanwhile josh Gordon is still on the team... Then has Calloway come up like a 4th grader and forced apology in front of the class which was unintelligible. 

You just know the team does not respect him. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2