Am I the only one who has confidence in our WR's?

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know how any reasonable person can be confident in his group. Beane isn’t even confident; he tried to trade back up for Kirk. It’s a terrible group.

Beane came right out and said we drafted for need in the later rounds. Naturally we drafted 2 WRs with our last picks. It isn't exactly a secret.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know how any reasonable person can be confident in his group. Beane isn’t even confident; he tried to trade back up for Kirk. It’s a terrible group.

If you’re going to limit this to “reasonable” people, we need some kind of test here. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I'm not confident, but it's not total dog shite. You forgot to mention Reilly, who I think can make the jump to a solid #4.  I'm good with KB and Kerley.

?1 is Z Jones.  Can he mature and actually contribute. (I think so but maybe not as a true #2)

?2 is health. I thought Streater flashed some skills, and hopefully he can be a force.  Did Z's health hold him back?  Can Holmes play?

?3 the rookies. We don't know how good Ray-Ray, Proehl and Foster will be with the pads on in full contact.

So I'm in the camp of bringing in a true #2 as a safety valve and letting it all play out. Would love Dez, Maclin or another backside of his career star that is a proven NFL vet at a decent price tag. If cut, D Thomas, Crabtree, Britt, could all help.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, jr1 said:

I have no confidence in Zay. He either has a drug problem severe mental illness

If he's passing drug tests,  practices hard everyday and coaches feel he's giving it his all, he deserves the benefit of doubt.

58 minutes ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Worst WR corps in the league. This is the most homer thread of all time. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid 

Kelvin Benjamin moved the chains on 3rd down with Cam until the cows came home. 

Zay had 158 catches his final year of college. 

They will both fare much better now that Taylor’s out of the equation.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

First time I'm hearing this. Any link to that ?  Would  love  to read it!

Just now, B Fan in LA said:

You forgot to add an unproven Offensive Coordinator.................

I did indeed.   I do like what I saw from Daboll at Bama. Working with a QB who couldn't throw the ball down the field...familiar?  But then when he got a QB who could, his offense completely changed.   So I'm confident Daboll can actually call plays.   We'll have to see what his gameplanning is like.  and his ability to develop a young QB> 

• Like (+1) 1

All qb's miss seeing open receivers, even the elite ones.

But Tyrod did it more than most.  He had Woods Sammy and Goodwin, all guys that have proven they can get separation in this league, and he still underwhelmed.

I think Streater will have an impact if he has the camp he had last year.  Remember Benjamin gets hurt a lot, he's basically another Sammy/Goodwin as far as reliability, so we'll need some veterans to step up at some point this year.   Kerley might beat out Zay for the slot duties.

I think Benjamin and Zay are very capable. I believe with an offense who's goal is to actually throw the ball with a accurate QB. Unlike Tyrod who was terrible in my opinion and got worse every year. He made some great plays with his legs but they are plays he wouldn't have had to make if he was a good passer. If he could take a 3 step drop read the field and deliver the ball where it needed to be a lot of those big runs on 3rd down wouldn't have been needed. So i have faith in our WRs as well

59 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Kailin Clay is really fast

...and Josh Allen can throw the ball really far. If only we could get fast and far to be in the same place at the same time.

Add a legit #1 and I’m good. 

The importance of a big time WR is a bit overstated these days, at least in terms of wins. Receivers miss games and teams generally don't miss a beat. Or receivers play the entire season and their team still winds up with a losing record (OBJ's best statistical season came in 2015 and the Giants went 6-10). Half of the leaders in receptions in 2017 were on teams that didn't make the playoffs. The top three leaders in receiving touchdowns in 2017 (D. Hopkins, D. Adams, J. Graham) all sat home during the playoffs last season. 

Tom Brady has played most of his career without a true #1 WR. He's depended on small, speedy slot receivers like Welker, Edelman and Amendola. Gronk regularly misses games every season and the Pats still win. Kirk Cousins established himself as a top ten QB without having a big time receiver during any of his seasons.

Of course it's a benefit to have a game-breaking WR but I don't think it's a necessity to win games. It still all comes down to how coaches utilize their players. Case in point, you can move up and draft a player expected to be a big time WR but he can't do much if his coaches spend time during his rookie year using him as a decoy instead of dialing up plays to get him the ball. Beyond that, the Bills have been a run-first team since 2014. Greg Roman's scheme in 2015/16 featured rather elementary route combos and overall had a passing attack that wasn't difficult for defenses to figure out. 2017 may have had a different OC and scheme but it still had a simple passing scheme. Plus, the WR group here doesn't really have any guys that separate with their route running. Combine that with a QB hesitant to throw into tight coverage and you get a dead-last ranked

Bills are still going to aim to be a run-first team with an opportunistic defense. They're still going to keep the passing attempts around 25-30 a game. They're still laying the foundation for this team and the side of the ball they've chosen to focus on first is defense, for obvious reasons. They're closer to having their defense where they want it than they are with their offense. I assume next season will be the year they work to bring in some better offensive talent to put around Josh Allen. With the way they prioritize positions, I think, for right now anyway, WR isn't near the top of the list. They'll get there, though.  

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Zay Jones better make a big jump. 

Zay will be fine. 

I'm going to catch hell for this because nuance is lost on so many here, but when I see Zay move on the field, just as a physical specimen I see a young Andre Reed.  Similar build and running stride.  Flame away.