Coming to Buffalo - Bears Game 4th November

Hello All,

I'm starting to plan a trip to Buffalo from the UK for the game versus Chicago on 4th November. 

I plan on it being a short trip - Saturday to Monday so my time in Buffalo will be limited sadly. I'll be looking at staying in downtown Buffalo. Please can somebody tell me the best way to get from downtown out to Orchard Park and back on game day?

Also, any suggestions on where to get a huge plate of wings, fries and a beer on the Saturday night would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

Hello All,

I'm starting to plan a trip to Buffalo from the UK for the game versus Chicago on 4th November. 

I plan on it being a short trip - Saturday to Monday so my time in Buffalo will be limited sadly. I'll be looking at staying in downtown Buffalo. Please can somebody tell me the best way to get from downtown out to Orchard Park and back on game day?

Also, any suggestions on where to get a huge plate of wings, fries and a beer on the Saturday night would be greatly appreciated. 

Stop at Duffs and grab some wings...

But most importantly, heckle amd harass the Chicago fans. The goal at the Ralph (or "The Cap") is to catch a football game and scare away opposing fans. We have a reputation to uphold.

Welcome to the board. Hang up your coat and stay awhile.

Welcome mate!

I’m not sure why you’d want to stay downtown. It’s not like London (which I’ve been to many times). You’ll need a car to get around WNY anyway so I’d stay closer to the airport in Amherst by the big UB Campus from where you can hit Duffs for wings, Ted’s Hot Dogs, take the expressway north to see Niagara Falls, and south for the Bills game, and yet easily head back to the airport.

35 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Welcome mate!

I’m not sure why you’d want to stay downtown. It’s not like London (which I’ve been to many times). You’ll need a car to get around WNY anyway so I’d stay closer to the airport in Amherst by the big UB Campus from where you can hit Duffs for wings, Ted’s Hot Dogs, take the expressway north to see Niagara Falls, and south for the Bills game, and yet easily head back to the airport.

I do not know if I have EVER seen worse advice on here..and I am being serious. Uber is your friend in Buffalo! Absolutely stay downtown!! 

Gabriels Gate is on point, can stay and drink in Allentown, or go one of million places in downtown to have fum.

In terms of going to the game, I will most likely be going to that game and either staying downtown or on Grand Island. Either way I will  drive right through downtown to the stadium. No worries on picking you up if you want to join us at Hammers for the TBD tailgate and ketchup ceremony. 

@BritBill Feel free to PM , just hit my member name and then hit the message tab. Can help with hotel suggestions etc if needed as well.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 3

Thank you all for the information so for. It's very much appreciated. Please keep them coming!

I'm just waiting on a friend to confirm if he's joining me then flights will be booked tonight.

@plenzmd1 Thank you for your help and offer of a ride to the game. I'll be in touch via PM once I know more.

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Welcome mate!

Awful advice. Downtown has a lot happening these days with canalside, allentown, elmwood village, and chippewa/theatre district. There are a lot of breweries around now, plus little shops in the allentown & elmwood village area. You will need to uber or rent a car, but downtown the subway is free above ground so you move decently plus you can rent bikes. Most of the hotels downtown are right on or near the subway also. The marriott garden is nice downtown as is the marriot actually in the harborcenter facility. Pearl St. Bar and Grill has some excellent food plus massive beer bongs about 2 1/2ft high you can drink from. The riverworks area is right by the Sabres arena and pretty popular year round for food drinks and a variety of outdoor entertainment which in early Nov you still may be able to catch.

In regards to game day its all up to you on what type of experience. The lots on the Bills ground do not open until 9 but still can be fun. The major party lots are typically private or the buss lot. You will need some kind of ride to the stadium but I am sure if you looked up group travel to the stadium you can find stuff plus as others here have offered if they can help you car pool. I will say while the tailgating is amazing and everything, I do recommend you check out the field house and stuff in front of the Bills Store. They have a lot of neat free stuff you can do and the field house when open is cool to see quickly if you never have been to a game here.

57 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If I’m coming from London, I’m not sure I want to spend my limited amount of time in a bar (pub) in Buffalo.  But that’s just me!  Sheeesh

rather spend it at Duffs on Millersport? Or Teds???? Think you cant get to the Falls from downtown? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Public transit in Buffalo sucks so you should rent a car or Uber

For wings if you want to stay downtown and not travel too far I like Gabriel's gate and there's also always the original Anchor Bar downtown.

i lived directly up the block from gabriel's gate on north street, and completely agree about the wings.  all the food there was fantastic.  they also have a bad ass fish fry.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

rather spend it at Duffs on Millersport? Or Teds???? Think you cant get to the Falls from downtown? 

No, the point was that you need a car to really get around in WNY.  Therefore you don't need to stay downtown.  As someone said earlier, there isn't public transportation in the Buffalo area, so you might as well stay wherever you can park a rental car, be close to the expressway, and then you can get around and see all of the sights in the Niagara Frontier. (If our UK visitor is coming from London, they'll be more used to taking The Tube or Trains to get around...that isn't an option in WNY.)  I cannot imagine coming all the way from England and returning home without seeing Niagara Falls, even if only for a few minutes.  Those that live in WNY (like I did many years ago) don't think of it as a international attraction, but the Falls are far more sight-worthy than the 'Canal' District.

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

No, the point was that you need a car to really get around in WNY.  Therefore you don't need to stay downtown.  As someone said earlier, there isn't public transportation in the Buffalo area, so you might as well stay wherever you can park a rental car, be close to the expressway, and then you can get around and see all of the sights in the Niagara Frontier. (If our UK visitor is coming from London, they'll be more used to taking The Tube or Trains to get around...that isn't an option in WNY.)  I cannot imagine coming all the way from England and returning home without seeing Niagara Falls, even if only for a few minutes.  Those that live in WNY (like I did many years ago) don't think of it as a international attraction, but the Falls are far more sight-worthy than the 'Canal' District.

listen, I don't want to get in an argument with you, but if he wants to get a car, get a car. Bzillions places to park it in downtown. Go to the Falls by driving, or take an Uber. The Falls is just as close from downtown as it is from the Amherst UB campus, maybe even closer. Getting to the stadium is a world easier from downtown than from Amherst UB campus. The man stated he wanted to come over and have wings and few pops.. the last thing you want to do after drinking more than one or two is get behind the wheel...especially when it's on the wrong side!!! So I would hope he is going to Uber no matter where he stays once he goes out and has a few.. Knowing the Drink drive laws in the UK are so much tougher than the US, I am going to assume he was going to do that anyway.

Really no debate if you are coming from out of town for a "Buffalo" weekend where the better experience is to be had, and it ain't in some suburb that is exactly the same as every other suburb in America. If you want to come to Buffalo to experience Buffalo, only one place to do it..in Buffalo.

End of rant?

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not from London ?

This trip is purely about the football and spending a small bit of time in Buffalo. If we get the time we might have a toby up to the falls. All depends on flight times and prices. I'm fairly well travelled - from the Pyramids of Giza to the Hancock Observatory. If I get to see some sights - great. 

At the moment I'm just focusing on getting to the game and getting fed and watered. 

Expedia is currently offering up this hotel to us - http://adamsmark.com/ 

6 hours ago, BritBill said:

Hello All,

Any bar or mom and pop pizzeria will have the Wings and fries

but if you also want a drink at the same time maybe go to Duffs. They have great wings and show sports

The Bar Bil tavern has some of the best wings in WNY. They are in east aurora

716 is right smack downtown buffalo... owner by Terry Pegula 

35 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I'm not from London ?

This trip is purely about the football and spending a small bit of time in Buffalo. If we get the time we might have a toby up to the falls. All depends on flight times and prices. I'm fairly well travelled - from the Pyramids of Giza to the Hancock Observatory. If I get to see some sights - great. 

At the moment I'm just focusing on getting to the game and getting fed and watered. 

Expedia is currently offering up this hotel to us - http://adamsmark.com/ 

stay far far away from the Adams Mark

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hey BritBill. There are a few of us UK Bills fans on here...

I dunno Bill...

The Jags are a team on the upswing... You're an admitted fan of Blake Bortles.... Jax plays at Wembley every year... Kahn is in tight with the mayor of London.... Florida home games offer more of a break from the weather than say, Buffalo... You'd be missed, but I don't think anyone here would blame you... :)

Edited by #34fan
  • Haha (+1) 1