AJ Mccarron shouldn't be slept on (dont think its been posted yet)

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Peterman would be lucky to win 2 games. 

Allen I suspect wins a similar number to AJ in 2018 but I just think whatever year Allen starts his first games you are going to have to live with some inconsistency. Not sure putting it off to 2019 will make him that much more polished, though maybe it will.

Equally Allen is the one who if it does all come together can be a good starting Quarterback in this league. AJ can be a Brian Hoyer.... he will have some moments where he starts and looks capable and others where he doesn't. Firmly in the "top end backup" category for me. 

The passing game was abysmal last year. AJ is a better passer than Tyrod. You appear to be placing a high value on Tyrod's ability to run.

We have upgraded the roster generally (OL and WR is a big concern), and I think Daboll is > than Dennison. 

I am a little more optimistic than 6 wins with McCarron, especially if we can get some help on offense, but I haven't analyzed this year's schedule vs last year's.

Just now, CuddyDark said:

I doubt he has the physical tools to compete at a high level in the NFL. Can he be a starter, probably. Will he be an all time great, probably not even close.

i think he can be a mid-tier guy. That's good enough with a strong surrounding cast.

11 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I am perfectly happy, no matter how poorly he plays, starting McCarrot for at least two years and developing Allen on the bench.  

The only thing that Allen is going to develop sitting on the bench for two years is splinters. 

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

i think he can be a mid-tier guy. That's good enough with a strong surrounding cast.

I'd rather start the rookie. AJ looks like a classic backup in the NFL. Plays for 18 years, wins some games. Everyone loves him. He's probably closer to Ryan Fitzpatrick, than a true starting NFL QB.

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) you used college awards as an argument that McCarron is a good NFL QB

2) SouthNY used another QB who earned college awards to make the point college awards do not have a strong correlation to NFL success

3) that would appear relevant to the argument you offered that McCarron is good because, college awards and honors.

So, the same stuff different day. 

Many people here claim their knowledge comes from watching college game film and that makes them believe they know which QB will be a success or failure.    

It's all conjecture.   I'll say it again.  If these people are so great at evaluating talent, they would be working in the NFL or on a sports show.  

I'd give a guy who won 2 of 4 games in his sophomore season better odds of reaching 8 wins in 2018.   

Lets not overlook real NFL games AJ played and not forget to mention that of those two losses -  

• 1 was in OT against the SB winning Bronco's and their great defense and
  • 1 was in a playoff game against the Steelers where AL had the Bengals in the lead going in for the clincher when

With 1 minute and 30 seconds left on the clock and a 1 point lead his RB fumbled the ball at the Steelers 9 yard line. Then  thanks to two consecutive 15-yard penalties, one on linebacker Vontaze Burfictand, the other on Adam Jonesthe Steelers ended up in FG range  to score with 14 seconds on the clock. 

We have all heard how some of the Bills close Losses with a the former QB were and how much credit he was given for tossing 180 ypg, yet here we see people giving a young QB little to no faith after being "nearly" 4-0 while tossing 180 ypg.

It's not hard to see the hypocrisy here, not one bit.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I believe that the Bills offense will be far better then what most believe.  AJ will be a better pocket QB, will make on-time throws and has enough movement skills to buy time and make a few plays with his legs.

The offensive line is going to be better with a new style of play and better coaching.  

The wide receivers are going to improve with a healthy Benjamin and Zay Jones and the new additions.

My expectations for AJ are 3500 yards passing with 22 TD's and 10 Ints, 61% completion rate.

Care to share whatever your smoking?

12 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

You’re sleeping with AJ?  Does His wife know?

12 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

Look I know Dalton is a hero in Buffalo but to say he is a quintessential franchise QB is misleading.  The fact that AJ could not unseat him suggests that that McCarron really is  a possible strong backup QB.  There is nothing really in his history that says he is going to take that huge leap forward in his career.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

You’re sleeping with AJ?  Does His wife know?

Look I know Dalton is a hero in Buffalo but to say he is a quintessential franchise QB is misleading.  The fact that AJ could not unseat him suggests that that McCarron really is  a possible strong backup QB.  There is nothing really in his history that says he is going to take that huge leap forward in his career.

I don’t think we can infer anything from him not being unable to seat Dalton. Dalton was capable and there was no strong motivation to replace him. I don’t think McCarron was given a good opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wyo_Bills Fan said:

Can't argue with a man who sets and lives by low standards.  To each their own!

It's low standards to want to develop a QB so he'll perform over a 15-year career?

Can't argue with a fool as myopic as you.

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

30th in passing.... the Bills will be seriously unlucky if McCarron cannot best Tyrod Taylor as a passer

FIFY.  I think it's possible that the Bills can generate more passing offense under McCarron than Taylor, IF our OL is as good as Cincy's was in 2015 and IF our WR come through - Zay Jones returns to his college form and Benjamin goes all out in a contract year.

The Bills as a whole, had a top-half-of-the-NFL offense in 2015 and 2016.  A big part of that was McCoy, yes, but part of it was the threat Taylor represented to throw deep and to run.

So the Bills will be doing very nicely indeed if McCarron bests Taylor for offensive output.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Tebow won awards primarily on his ability to run, McCarron won awards based on his ability to pass. Pocket passers are far more likely to have NFL success than running quarterbacks. Therefore, I don not think it is a fair comparison. 

If one were comparing Tebow and McCarron as QB, and not simply trying to make the point that college awards don't indicate NFL potential, you'd have a fair point.

There is no question that McCarron is a far better passer than Tebow dreamed of being.  But he also had an amazing supporting cast at 'bama.

• Like (+1) 1

Tebow has more playoff wins than any Bills QB playing for Buffalo in the last 17 years or so.

Tebow and McCarron don't have the same QB style at all. It's an unfair comparison.

You linked AJ mccarrons college accolades, which don't try to bs, was an attempt to imply that he would be good in the NFL based on that.

I showed tebows accolades as a very fair comparison that college accolades don't matter in the NFL.

The passing game was abysmal last year. AJ is a better passer than Tyrod. You appear to be placing a high value on Tyrod's ability to run.

We have upgraded the roster generally (OL and WR is a big concern), and I think Daboll is > than Dennison. 

I am a little more optimistic than 6 wins with McCarron, especially if we can get some help on offense, but I haven't analyzed this year's schedule vs last year's.

I think this is a fair assessment.   The OL and WR are the big questionmarks.  

AJ Green is one amazing dude at WR.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FIFY.  I think it's possible that the Bills can generate more passing offense under McCarron than Taylor, IF our OL is as good as Cincy's was in 2015 and IF our WR come through - Zay Jones returns to his college form and Benjamin goes all out in a contract year.

The Bills as a whole, had a top-half-of-the-NFL offense in 2015 and 2016.  A big part of that was McCoy, yes, but part of it was the threat Taylor represented to throw deep and to run.

So the Bills will be doing very nicely indeed if McCarron bests Taylor for offensive output.

If one were comparing Tebow and McCarron as QB, and not simply trying to make the point that college awards don't indicate NFL potential, you'd have a fair point.

There is no question that McCarron is a far better passer than Tebow dreamed of being.  But he also had an amazing supporting cast at 'bama.

Exactly to the bold.

9 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I believe that the Bills offense will be far better then what most believe.  AJ will be a better pocket QB, will make on-time throws and has enough movement skills to buy time and make a few plays with his legs.

The offensive line is going to be better with a new style of play and better coaching.  

The wide receivers are going to improve with a healthy Benjamin and Zay Jones and the new additions.

My expectations for AJ are 3500 yards passing with 22 TD's and 10 Ints, 61% completion rate.

Except for the fact that he has never done this to date.

He feels non-existent pressure and gets happy feet in the pocket.

He is absolutely not a mobile QB.

He is a game manager, always has been. 

He doesn't drive the ball consistently, he pushes it.

His arm strength is questionable.

Im rooting for him, but he has a lot of red flags. IS it just a coincidence that all these other QBs got huge money and AJ was left as the guy no one signed?

18 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Why is it so hard to believe that I want to see a rookie QB developed for once, and not thrown to the wolves?

I thought you were making a joke.  The only way I want Allen to sit is if either (a) he shows he's not ready in TC or preseason; or (b) the QB in front of him is playing at a high level.  Sitting and "learning" behind mediocrity isn't going to help anyone.

I have a feeling it's going to be obvious in training camp that Allen is head and shoulders (literally and figuratively) above the other QBs on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1