AJ Mccarron shouldn't be slept on (dont think its been posted yet)

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

So do I. They might still go with McCarron early but it will not last long. Remember Houston went with Tom Savage...... for 2 Quarters. 

This to me is terrible logic.  Obviously, Watson was the better Qb and no reason why he should have took all those snaps from Watson in Tc and Preseason.  It took Watson about 3 weeks before he was rolling.  If he had those reps early he would have gotten to playing at a higher level sooner.  After the first preseason game Watson was the better player.   

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

This to me is terrible logic.  Obviously, Watson was the better Qb and no reason why he should have took all those snaps from Watson in Tc and Preseason.  It took Watson about 3 weeks before he was rolling.  If he had those reps early he would have gotten to playing at a higher level sooner.  After the first preseason game Watson was the better player.   

It actually only took Watson a game to get rolling. He was only average his first start on a short week at Cincy on TNF. He was excellent after that. 

I agree it is poor logic though. It isn't what I would do. It is what I think they might do. 

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

lol if our QB for the opening game in 2019 is AJ McCarron, the Bills made a huge mistake. 

There is nothing wrong about easing a QB into the NFL. Many rookie QB's don't start the 1st few games, many sit a year.. Some come out and start hot and fade away after teams get tape on tyhem, others maintain or keep getting better, and some just have the wheels come off early and can't recover.

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

The only way you develop is by playing. Learning on the bench is a myth. And if Allen starts and plays bad 1st couple games and people worry about him losing his confidence then he doesn't have the mental toughness to be a franchise QB anyway.

Sorry this is not a completely true statement. Not all players learn the same way or at the same rate.... a major way to regress is to put a player into a position before he is fully ready. Some people do better by being eased into something, some people can jump in and get off to a quick start. You see it every day life, no two people are the same and different personalities, different cognitive functions require different approaches.

This one size fits all mentality from fans is not the mindset of successful coaches/teams

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

And I said that Dareus was a dud is 2nd yr. I call it like I see it.

I believe you call it like you see it

Dareus went on to 2x probowl and 1x all-pro his 3rd and 4th years and was referred to by many knowledgeable as one of the best, if not the best, DT in the NFL esp. 2014

If you called him a "dud", you might want to revisit what you're seeing

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

The only way you develop is by playing. Learning on the bench is a myth. And if Allen starts and plays bad 1st couple games and people worry about him losing his confidence then he doesn't have the mental toughness to be a franchise QB anyway.

How do you know that?

for all the pundits who say he needs time on the bench to develop - why do they think that and why do you believe they're all mistaken?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dareus went on to 2x probowl and 1x all-pro his 3rd and 4th years and was referred to by many knowledgeable as one of the best, if not the best, DT in the NFL esp. 2014

He had a few good years and now at 28 he appears to be washed up.

As good as may been 3 or 4 years ago, I wonder how great he could have been if had been more mature and was motivated.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How do you know that?

for all the pundits who say he needs time on the bench to develop - why do they think that and why do you believe they're all mistaken?

Learning on the bench is good for becoming comfortable in the film room/prep/ mental side of the game. But no practice in life for any task is better than actually doing it.

Do you think a golfer is more prepared for a tournament by being someone's caddy or actually playing a practice round? 

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

He had a few good years and now at 28 he appears to be washed up.

As good as may been 3 or 4 years ago, I wonder how great he could have been if had been more mature and was motivated.

Agreed.

My point is, if you called him a "dud" in his second season, then he went on to all-pro and probowl and praise 3rd and 4th....you might have a hair-trigger on your "dud" caller.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't recall exactly when I started criticizing him. It was when he showed up to camp grossly out of shape and overweight and when he was working on business deals (opening a bar/night club) while he left the team to mourn his brother. Likely after the second season.

I soured on the guy pretty quickly and my instincts were right. 

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

You have to give him the tools to be successful. If you just throw him unprepared then you will lose games, which is not the goal. If you give him a chance to learn your offense, your personnel and see what NFL defenses are like for a few weeks then you have a much better chance of winning when he does play.

But I agree that it's hard to learn certain things from the bench. I'm one of the only people who advocate giving your developmental QB some snaps during the week. Put in a small package of plays for each week suited to his skill set and let him have a series or two per game, just like you do for every other position as well as in college. I'm honestly surprised that NFL teams don't do this.

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Dalton took a sack on 4.9% of plays, which was good for #13th best in the league that year amongst starters.

Aj was 9.2% which would put him second to last (#35) for qualifying players.

Smaller sample size for AJ obviously, and he was obviously adjusting to starting, but I think they had a decent line, better than ours is projected this year.

I don't disagree with what you said.

I like mccarron better than Tyrod since I think a pocket passer is more consistent than a running QB.

I think our oline isn't great, and that AJ has a good chance to get annihilated behind our line, while Tyrod could at least run and escape better than AJ can, so he covered up some of the oline flaws.

Our receiving corps this year is also nowhere near the bengals 2015, so I'm not sure why pointing out what Tyrod did in 2015 has to do with what AJ is working with this year.

The O Line only needs to be  good up to the point where a running lane opens for the ball carrier or the QB releases the ball.     

Having to fight for 5 or more seconds because of a sandlot QB  is never a recipe for success. 

It's a bit more involved in that but the basic concept is correct 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I am perfectly happy, no matter how poorly he plays, starting McCarrot for at least two years and developing Allen on the bench.  

how about one year and i will send you case of Perrier ?
I think Allen Should sit as long as AJ is at least middlin'  for the Bills.
Have some real hope AJM can hold down the fort till next years FA stacked cash blitz o rama. When all the pieces finish the "Trust the Process " puzzle

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Which is greater ... 
Number of posters that know who Spiro T. Agnew is or 
Number of posters that can tell you who the last Bills punter was that completed a pass.

I'd say more know the punter, but I can only guess Brian Moorman. I do know Spiro T was Nixon's VP,  I was in high school back then.

Another punter question, who was the punter that also played linebacker?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, jabu said:

I'd say more know the punter, but I can only guess Brian Moorman. I do know Spiro T was Nixon's VP,  I was in high school back then.

Another punter question, who was the punter that also played linebacker?

it's definitely Moorman.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

You’re sleeping with AJ?  Does His wife know?

Look I know Dalton is a hero in Buffalo but to say he is a quintessential franchise QB is misleading.  The fact that AJ could not unseat him suggests that that McCarron really is  a possible strong backup QB.  There is nothing really in his history that says he is going to take that huge leap forward in his career.

So you're gonna take Marv Lewis' opinion on this? Marv Lewis? Really?

I'm gonna wait until he plays at least a few PS games before  I make any evaluation.

Brett FAvre  couldn't beat out Chris Chandler btw.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The O Line only needs to be  good up to the point where a running lane opens for the ball carrier or the QB releases the ball.     

Having to fight for 5 or more seconds because of a sandlot QB  is never a recipe for success. 

It's a bit more involved in that but the basic concept is correct 

I agree with you on the sandlot thing.

They do need to do more than just "open running lanes"

They need to create a pocket for the QB on pass plays.

If they don't do that effectively then the passing game falls apart.

Cincinnati's oline in 2015 was average to slightly above average, ours this yeah should be worse, at least on paper.

Hopefully it's not.

......kid was a steady Eddie, cerebral game manager at 'Bama.....nothing flashy but still netted two National Championships.....still wonder why OBD didn't take a 5th round flyer on the kid...oh wait.....Bo knows that OBD knows QB's.....