What Do YOU Remember about Thurman Thomas?

I won't ever forget that if not for 'wide right', Thurman would have SB MVP on his CV.

I'll also ask the question, has any SB MVP ever come from the losing team?

Much like Bruce, or Andre, one thing that does stand out about Thurman, is that he made plays when you needed him to, by and large. Ignoring some of his other numbers, or those of Bruce and Andre, I think it's the one thing that defines them as HOF players, i.e. making plays when they were needed.

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

I won't ever forget that if not for 'wide right', Thurman would have SB MVP on his CV.

I'll also ask the question, has any SB MVP ever come from the losing team?

Much like Bruce, or Andre, one thing that does stand out about Thurman, is that he made plays when you needed him to, by and large. Ignoring some of his other numbers, or those of Bruce and Andre, I think it's the one thing that defines them as HOF players, i.e. making plays when they were needed.

...certainly wished for a better outcome for Thurmal than oh fer 4.....that draft day puss said this guy may be something and the puss was right.....he showed up big time.....hard to believe Barry Sanders was his backup at OSU.....

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

A time before sports became politically correct 

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

His passion and hatred whenever we played the Dolphins will always stick out in my mind. Unfortunately, so will the fact that he went directly to the Dolphins when his time in Buffalo was finished.

To be honest, meeting Thurman Thomas when I was 12 years old will always be the worst fan/player experience of my life. He was incredibly rude and mean to a kid who was just trying to say hi to one of his heroes. I'll let it slide, and I'll forgive, but it's impossible to forget.

I've heard Thurman on record as admitting he was a jerk to the fans back in his playing days(hell all those old Bills players were to be fair)but that he regrets being that way and now I've never heard anybody who has had a bad encounter with him in recent years.  People mature as they go through life.  Can't hold onto grudges forever.

10 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

I wonder if that was same game. When preparing for their first offensive snap Kent Hull stood

up and pointed at a Miami DT. When asked later what it was all about. Hull said I just told him,

today we are going to kick your f%#^*n  asses. I believe that's in Larry Felser's book. 

FANTASTIC! 

Loved Kent Hull as much as anyone on the Superbowl teams.

RIP.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly wished for a better outcome for Thurmal than oh fer 4.....that draft day puss said this guy may be something and the puss was right.....he showed up big time.....hard to believe Barry Sanders was his backup at OSU.....

Thurman and Barry in the same backfield on the same team at the same time has to be the best 1---2 RB combo in collegiate history.  

That first play on offense in the 1990 playoffs against Miami.

Kelly throws a pass down the right sideline. Not a very good one but Thurman somehow does a backwards dive and catches it.....and the motor was started.

One of the most exciting players I’ve ever watched.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've heard Thurman on record as admitting he was a jerk to the fans back in his playing days(hell all those old Bills players were to be fair)but that he regrets being that way and now I've never heard anybody who has had a bad encounter with him in recent years.  People mature as they go through life.  Can't hold onto grudges forever.

Oh yeah, I understood, and dont hold a grudge. And anyways, I got that pic with him 20 years when I ran into him at the Winter Classic!

One of the most patient runners I've ever seen. He had such a unique running style L Bell is the closest I can think of right now.

PLays looked like slow motion, until you see that it ended 8 or 10 yards down field.

Thurman avoided negative plays and almost always gained something. Rare to ever drop a pass. WR good hands.

If teams could game planned to stop the run, he would do 60-100 yards of damage through the air, If they keyed on his short area catching, he would gash them on the ground.

I remember consistent production. 4 years in a row led the NFL in yards from scrimmage, something not done before or since.

There were lots of 5-10 yard runs, almost none longer than 50 though. Equally good inside or outside.

I recall an MVP season in 1991

Many years Thurman was in the top 3 in rushing with  game or two to go and had to sit the last game or two to prep for another playoff run, never won a rushing title, but could have won multiple

Three games remind me of Thurman Thomas at his best

Monday night against the Jets, he went off like a fire cracker 18 carries for 214 yards (11.4 ypc)

Superbowl XXV against the Giants 15 carries for 135 (9 ypc), and 5 Rec for 55 yds

and the 93 AFC Championship game against KC when he gashed them for 186 yards and three TDs

He and Bruce Smith are still my favorite all-time Bills.

Edited by RocCityRoller

Knocking LBs away from Jim Kelly in pass pro or running WR routes and making difficult catches;  his passion for the game.  I remember that Monday night game against the Rams.  He almost killed us with a fumble late in the fourth.  His effort on the ensuing offensive possession was beastly.

• Like (+1) 1

The most noticeable thing right away was that when he was stopped he always found a way to fall forward and gain a couple extra yards.     So many extra yards gained after he was wrapped up, not sure how he did it at his size, but he never got pushed back.

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

your stupid statements "did he ever miss a block"

that's just dumb.

Have you ever heard of the word “hyperbole”? It’s not a dirty word, and it has it’s place in grown up conversations. Many people think about his running and catching, but don’t give him enough credit for his exceptional blitz pick-up ability. And that was one statement, not statementS. But sure, you use “stupid” and “dumb” in the same post to describe MY post. . 

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Have you ever heard of the word “hyperbole”? It’s not a dirty word, and it has it’s place in grown up conversations. Many people think about his running and catching, but don’t give him enough credit for his exceptional blitz pick-up ability. And that was one statement, not statementS. But sure, you “stupid” and “dumb” in the same post to describe MY post. . 

The op asks "What Do YOU Remember about Thurman Thomas?"

and your biggest thought came through your head was how good of a blocker he was? think about how that looks.

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

The op asks "What Do YOU Remember about Thurman Thomas?"

and your biggest thought came through your head was how good of a blocker he was? think about how that looks.

You’re embarrassing yourself, but you don’t seem to recognize that fact. I mentioned running and catching first and said in bold it was great. Then I mentioned the blocking... albeit with a little hyperbole. The OP did NOT ask what is the ONE thing you remember, but you conveniently said it was the “biggest thing that came through” my head. You’re putting words in my mouth to defend your baseless attack of my post. 

Do you NOT remember his blocking? I phrased it as a question, you could have just answered. I added it because the blocking is often overlooked by many. 

This is very middle school-ish.

I don’t care how I look here, but if I did I’d be just fine with my position, because I’m clearly right. I’ve posted stupid stuff here in the past,, and I’ll admit it when I get it wrong. Maybe it’s your turn to act like a grown up and admit you whiffed. But I won’t hold my breath....or even really care. 

Edited by Augie