What Do YOU Remember about Thurman Thomas?

I remember his diving catch on the sideline in the home opener in 1992 vs the LA Rams.  It was one of the best catches I have ever seen.  I have looked online forever to find it and I can't.

• Like (+1) 1

The first time I ever saw Thurman was during a post game interview after the Bills beat Miami. I forget exactly what the reporter asked, but Thurman's response was "They got their ass kicked". Given my hatred for Marino and the Dolphins, that response solidified my loyalty to the Bills.

Edited by buffalo2218
  • Like (+1) 1

His rookie season he missed a couple of games with nagging injuries. One being the 31-6 win over Dolphins on a Monday night in Miami. (I was there). Thurman said later on Talley pulled him aside and told him that needed to play through these injuries . Every player is hurting but you are very important to the team and we need you out there. Thurman said that helped him become the player he was.

14 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Dolphin killer

Greatest tribute to Thurman came from Dolphins DC Tom Olivadotti following the ‘95 Playoff game.

Reporter: How do you stop Thurman Thomas?

Olivadotti: Trade for him

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I remember us drafting him and how the big story was his drop to the 2nd rd. That was a gift that was a big catalyst to the SB years

It helped that we didn’t have a 1st round pick -trading it in the Great Halloween Trade the previous year for Cornelius Bennett. Thomas was so pissed at all the other teams, he swore vengeance on them from Buffalo’s backfield. 

Thank you, Bill Polian!

• Like (+1) 1

Truly defined the term "all-around" back.  There was nothing he didn't do exceptionally well -- rushing, receiving, pass blocking.

Thurman also typified the sort of player who could use a "slight" -- real or perceived -- to motivate himself even further.

When I think of Thurman I immediately think of all the games against Miami -- he just owned the Fish.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's what comes to mind when I think of Thurman.  He could have gone for 200+ that game.

well, he did have 186 yds

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Truly defined the term "all-around" back.  There was nothing he didn't do exceptionally well -- rushing, receiving, pass blocking.

Thurman also typified the sort of player who could use a "slight" -- real or perceived -- to motivate himself even further.

When I think of Thurman I immediately think of all the games against Miami -- he just owned the Fish.

and hated them as much as we did

His passion and hatred whenever we played the Dolphins will always stick out in my mind. Unfortunately, so will the fact that he went directly to the Dolphins when his time in Buffalo was finished.

To be honest, meeting Thurman Thomas when I was 12 years old will always be the worst fan/player experience of my life. He was incredibly rude and mean to a kid who was just trying to say hi to one of his heroes. I'll let it slide, and I'll forgive, but it's impossible to forget.

• Like (+1) 1

Standing in the parent pick hall at Ellicott Elementary, realizing that I was standing next to Thurman ... and figuring out he's is such a normal guy, just the next parent in line to pick up his son.

That ... and every time he touched the ball, he was a threat to take it to the house.

What’s really interesting is that I can’t point to any one play or moment.  It was simply his consistency and unbelievable presence in the offense.  For as good as he was he was never flashy.  He simply produced and produced.  As others said he never took a play off and never let up.

• Like (+1) 2

Direct Snap

Could truly play as a wide receiver

Toughness

Played great in big games

Had 268 yards from scrimmage in week one against the fish after holding out til the last minute.

Averaged over 2000 yards from scrimmage over a 4 year period

13 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Post game press conference after a playoff game against Miami...said "We kicked their ass" and remember seeing it on ESPN and commentator saying, "Wait...can you say "ass" on tv"?  Apparently, you could...and he did.

I wonder if that was same game. When preparing for their first offensive snap Kent Hull stood

up and pointed at a Miami DT. When asked later what it was all about. Hull said I just told him,

today we are going to kick your f%#^*n  asses. I believe that's in Larry Felser's book. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

What’s really interesting is that I can’t point to any one play or moment.  It was simply his consistency and unbelievable presence in the offense.  For as good as he was he was never flashy.  He simply produced and produced.  As others said he never took a play off and never let up.

Every play, 8-12 yards. Over and over and over and over.

This is a little different from the OP's intent...but it points to his longevity.  I remember how he always took a long time to get up from the ground after a run.  He'd fix his socks, adjust his pads, etc.  I always thought it was a way to cover up injuries so that teams couldn't target the injuries he sustained.  He took a beating from all those carries!  

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

BTW, not sure if it was mentioned but Happy Birthday Thurman! I found out earlier today that he and my eldest son were both born on May 16.

Wait...you didn't know your sons birthday?  LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

So I was born and raised in NJ. I can remember being 16 yrs old and going to the meadowlands in 90 and 91 watching Thermal own the Jets and going home with my Thomas jersey covered in yellow mustard from the pretzel bombarbments I got when I cheered. Watching him play live in his prime was one of the fondest memories I have of the Superbowl run years. 28 years later this honor is way overdue.

15 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Post game press conference after a playoff game against Miami...said "We kicked their ass" and remember seeing it on ESPN and commentator saying, "Wait...can you say "ass" on tv"?  Apparently, you could...and he did.

• Thank you (+1) 1