Laurel or Yanny

Team Laurel or Team Yanny  

46 members have voted

1. 1. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/science/yanny-laurel.html

Very cool. I heard nothing but Yanny in the original. Check out this link where they play it at different pitches:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2018/05/16/laurel-yanny-pitch-zw-orig.cnn

My wife, son and I just listened to the different pitches. My son heard nothing but Yanny the whole time. My wife and I heard both depending on the pitch. But for the most part she heard Laurel when I heard Yanny. 

There is something seriously afoot here. Why are these a thing all of a sudden? Someone discovered and is learning to exploit perceptual differences between people. That's heavy stuff. The best way to divide people is to make them unable to agree on simple stuff.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

The first time I played that clip I heard Yanny

Then I started messing with the slider and started to move Laurel near the left of the slider.  A few minutes later I went back and played the original clip again and hear Laurel.  Moved the sliders around and hear Laurel in most positions.  

Freaky :unsure:

Edited by /dev/null
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, The Poojer said:

If I put the sliders 2.5 to 3 bars to the left of Yanni I hear both.   Call me suspicious but if you recorded both words, filtering the lows out of one and the highs out of the other, that is what you would get.  One heard at the highs and one heard at the lows, and somewhere in between, both.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

If I put the sliders 2.5 to 3 bars to the left of Yanni I hear both.   Call me suspicious but if you recorded both words, filtering the lows out of one and the highs out of the other, that is what you would get.  One heard at the highs and one heard at the lows, and somewhere in between, both.

This.

I can do that.  Listen for a while, then slide back to middle and still hear both.

But, I hear Yanny first. BUT, it has always been more of a "YAM-ME" for me.  Not sure where the they get the "n."

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This.

I can do that.  Listen for a while, then slide back to middle and still hear both.

But, I hear Yanny first. BUT, it has always been more of a "YAM-ME" for me.  Not sure where the they get the "n."

Oh thank god lol.  Everyone is debating Laurel and Yanni and I hear Yam-me too! Wife hears Laurel.  She though I was messing with her and got annoyed until I showed her the articles.  We then proceeded to  the blue/gold dress again and I see gold she see blue and black.  Fun times, thanks internet for needlessly getting me in trouble with the missus.  I don't need your help I do just fine on my own!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It depends on what you are playing it back through also.  On my phone it's laurel, when I heard it on TV later it was Yanny.  On the NY Times thing it's Laurel and I need to click right twice to hear Yanny.

Oh, and that dress is blue.

Myself, ever so slightly left to hear Laurel. ? I guess I lean Left.