Laurel or Yanny

Team Laurel or Team Yanny  

46 members have voted

1. 1. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/science/yanny-laurel.html

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I cant see how anyone gets yanny out of that. Probably plays boths words just to screw with everyone.

i heard this minutes ago, and couldn't figure out how anyone could hear anything but yanny.  how the !@#$ does this happen?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My son and I are sitting 10 feet away and he heard Yanny and I just looked at him as if he was f***ing with me.  He swears he hears Yanny.  NYTimes has a tool that you can slide a resonance bar left and right to hear when it changes.  I made it almost all the way to the left before I heard yanny

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I cant see how anyone gets yanny out of that. Probably plays boths words just to screw with everyone.

Someone was discussing this, according to what he researched, if you have full range of hearing (you can hear a wider spectrum) you will hear "Yanny", those wth a smaller spectrum will hear "Laurel" but that tool gives a great way to check how the other side hears it.

I hear both very clearly.  There is "YANNY" in a higher frequency and it is the predominant sound being produced.  Under that, in a much deeper (lower frequency) is "LAUREL".  I hear the second syllable in "LAUREL" much more prominently than the first.

I can totally see why different people hear 2 different words, b/c they are both sort of there.  If your hearing cheats to higher frequencies, you'll be in the "YANNY" camp, if you pick up lower frequencies better, you'll hear LAUREL or something more like that.

Listen to it over an over and tell yourself to ONLY listen for 1 or the other.  You should be able to hear it.  Then listen ONLY for the other word...you should hear that too.

If this is supposed to be a sound clip to show people what "LAUREL" sounds like, I'd say it's pretty ****ty and could have been better.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I hear both very clearly.  There is "YANNY" in a higher frequency and it is the predominant sound being produced.  Under that, in a much deeper (lower frequency) is "LAUREL".  I hear the second syllable in "LAUREL" much more prominently than the first.

I can totally see why different people hear 2 different words, b/c they are both sort of there.  If your hearing cheats to higher frequencies, you'll be in the "YANNY" camp, if you pick up lower frequencies better, you'll hear LAUREL or something more like that.

Listen to it over an over and tell yourself to ONLY listen for 1 or the other.  You should be able to hear it.  Then listen ONLY for the other word...you should hear that too.

If this is supposed to be a sound clip to show people what "LAUREL" sounds like, I'd say it's pretty ****ty and could have been better.

:lol:

It is supposed to be a sound clip of "laurel."  And I agree. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If I move it all the way toward Yanny on the tool I hear Yeery

I hear yawy.

Edited by Doc

YesI did have a stroke.  But they played it before asking what you heard. every single time it was Laurel.  There is no way the el in laurel could sound like ee in Yanni.

6 minutes ago, Wacka said:

YesI did have a stroke.  But they played it before asking what you heard. every single time it was Laurel.  There is no way the el in laurel could sound like ee in Yanni.

Because it doesn’t.   

It’s both words at different frequencies.  

Your ears hear one and not the other