BadLandsMeanie

The NFL Needs A Parental Advisory For The Music They Use

Is a Parental Advisory a reasonable Idea?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Pick The appropriate answer in the category based on If you are a Parent or not. Yes or No to Parental Advisory

• I am a Parent - Yes to a Parental advisory
    • I am a Parent - No to a Parental advisory
    • Yes to a Parental advisory
    • No to a Parental advisory

29 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Can I just add that I think these new dangled video games are dangerous too?!

Plumbers eatin’ shrooms and jumping on turtles til they die?!

Next thing you know kids are stomping turtles for fun. What’s next, frogs? What’s the world coming to? 

For real tho, when I’m old enough to be bothered by the way everyone younger than me does things I’m going to keep my mouth shut. Is there anything more lame and cliche than old people telling everyone else how wrong they are? 

You think theyd know better since the same exact thing happened to them. I mean, is wisdom truly wasted on the aged? 

When I get to talk to young men like you, I think the problem with the Supreme Court ruling legalizing abortion was that they did not make it mandatory. 😁

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

When I get to talk to young men like you, I think the problem with the Supreme Court ruling legalizing abortion was that they did not make it mandatory. 😁

Im really not all that young. I just don’t feel the need to put down the interests of others. What part of my post did you disagree with? 

You don’t think it’s silly and cliche when the older generation has to constantly bash what younger folks like? Yeah, because people love being around those folks. 

Old folks always wonder why they’re ignored. Oh I don’t know, because when you talk to them they tell you your interests suck and how much better the things they like are. 

Yeah, sign me up for that fun fest. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I'm curious how you figured this out all by yourself...yet you still think the NFL needs to tell you how to protect your kids from it.  

Thats a wonderful rejoinder! Well done!

But again in my tired old refrain, read, read Tom, read the words I wrote. I plainly said I was told by a poster what the words were. 

"And then Buffalo716 tips me off about the lyrics. "

And I went on a bit how I never noticed.

I know why you hate me. My jokes are funnier than yours. I don't blame you.

I am curious though. If you hate everyone who has funnier jokes than you do, is there anyone you do not hate? 😊 

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Im really not all that young. I just don’t feel the need to put down the interests of others. What part of my post did you disagree with? 

You don’t think it’s silly and cliche when the older generation has to constantly bash what younger folks like? Yeah, because people love being around those folks. 

Old folks always wonder why they’re ignored. Oh I don’t know, because when you talk to them they tell you your interests suck and how much better the things they like are. 

Old people don't tell me my interests suck.

I wonder, do young people tell you that your interests suck too? Could be a message in there for you.

15 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I think Andre is what Childish Gambino is going for, really not that much of a fan of his.  Red Bone was alright, but that "This Is America" song people have been raving about... really isn't all that special in my opinion. It's actually pretty lame and offers little that's new. The video is more creative than the song.

Interesting that you bring that song up.

I think most people have no idea what he is saying. And I think I do know.

What do you think he is saying?

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I will explain and then I will stop because really explaining things that are plain isn't my personality.

Adults smoke. Saying kids shouldn't is normal. Adults drink. Saying kids shouldn't is normal. Saying, VERY PLAINLY, that I think children should not be doing this adult thing with this music without the parents knowing, isn't being old, or boring, or out of touch. It is STANDARD behavior. 

OK? So if you want to disagree fine but how about you disagree with what the FD&ck I am saying instead of what I am not?

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

7 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

But again in my tired old refrain, read, read Tom, read the words I wrote. I plainly said I was told by a poster what the words were. 

I am curious though. If you hate everyone who has funnier jokes than you do, is there anyone you do not hate? 😊 

I wonder, do young people tell you that your interests suck too? Could be a message in there for you.

Interesting that you bring that song up.

I think most people have no idea what he is saying. And I think I do know.

What do you think he is saying?

Well, when I first heard the song, I took it as a parody. I thought he was saying, we as a community, black and white, have these issues and instead of addressing them, we distract ourselves with partying, crappy trap rap that glorifies all that is destroying so much of the black community (and really those who live in impoverished areas in general, regardless of race).

Then I saw all the adlibs, and things I thought were the parody, he's actually featuring all these ****ty artists and just playing the victim card through out the whole song.

At least that's how it comes across to me, I'd be interested in your perspective. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

2 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

You’d better keep telling everyone how funny you are. They’re going to forget pretty quickly with gems like these. 

Old people don’t tell you your interests suck? Are we talking about the same old people? I’m almost certain your “old people” are a bit older than mine. Yours probably don’t do much talking these days with the six feet of dirt separating them from you. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

You’d better keep telling everyone how funny you are. They’re going to forget pretty quickly with gems like these. 

Old people don’t tell you your interests suck? Are we talking about the same old people? I’m almost certain your “old people” are a bit older than mine. Yours probably don’t do much talking these days with the six feet of dirt separating them from you. 

I don't wanna get the "not contributing" stop sign so I will just let you have the last word on this. Ok?

7 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Rap died with Tupac. 

Compare this:

To this:

Tupac was legendary, notorious BIG too

Still, Eminem, Jay-Z, Dre, Snoop, Cube, NAS all  talented and representative of a golden era.

Watch 8 mile and tell me that guy isn’t a poetic genius. 

Fantastic voyage Coolio and Drake- HA!!

10 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I don't wanna get the "not contributing" stop sign so I will just let you have the last word on this. Ok?

We’re good. I just don’t see how it’s an excuse to say it’s standard behavior. 

Its standard until its not. It was standard for women not to vote. Then it wasn’t. 

Im going to be part of the solution, not the standard. My musical tastes are probably very similar to your own. Just doesn’t make me feel better to tell people I’m right and their wrong. 

People dig what they dig. 

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Still, Eminem, Jay-Z, Dre, Snoop, Cube, NAS all  talented and representative of a golden era.

Ick... genius again. Lots of geniuses in rap, huh? 

Pretty sure if that was true they wouldn’t shut up about it. It would be in every line. 

“Dad left, told mom men suck, went on the nets and took the test for men-sa! What?! 5,000,000 iq, huh?! 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like 1

I love hearing people with no rhythm, that can't relate to hip hop at all, speak about how much it sucks.

You know nothing of the culture or the genre and you have no desire to.  Your opinion means nothing.

Always bringing up Tupac as a reference but couldn't recite a single Pac verse or name 3 of his songs if their life depended on it. 

Spare me...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Well, when I first heard the song, I took it as a parody. I thought he was saying, we as a community, black and white, have these issues and instead of addressing them, we distract ourselves with partying, crappy trap rap that glorifies all that is destroying so much of the black community (and really those who live in impoverished areas in general, regardless of race).

Then I saw all the adlibs, and things I thought were the parody, he's actually featuring all these ****ty artists and just playing the victim card through out the whole song.

At least that's how it comes across to me, I'd be interested in your perspective. 

Ok. Its very abstract art he has there I think you will agree. So I am just saying some of what  see, not like I have the right way. Though to me it was blinding.

He is dancing to upbeat music of a traditional style, then he says this is America, and then ..

He shoots people but he doesn't shoot gangsters. What he is doing is murdering the old culture. Gospel singers. Man with hood on and later a guitar wasn't singing blues I don't know that music but the image of the older black musician in a simple setting with his guitar is iconic. 

Because this is America 2018.

Don't catch you slippn' mean always be on your guard. He says that a lot. Not a healthy  way to live. He looks half crazy.

Then he hands the guns to who? Who hides them for him? The clean cut kids. Look like they dressed for church. From this I get that he is saying the whole culture is complicit. Not just the gangsters. They help him.

Because "Black man, get that money" over an over again. That is the message he is saying is given to young black men. Grandma told him this. Complicity.

GET MONEY

He mocks two songs, one of which is Gucci Gang, all about materialism, and I forget the other without watching the vid again. Not an omage there he is being harshly critical.

Then "I'm on Gucci, I'm so pretty" I hear him, mocking isn't a strong enough word, when he says that stuff.

'Your just a black man in this world, you're just a bar code yeah, driving expensive foreigns...: A barcode is on merchandise is how I take that. 

And he mentions not many brand names. I think Gucci is the only one, and that isn't a compliment when he says it.

I don't know all the words he used I just don't have the dialect down. But from the images and the words I do know, I see  man in a chaotic society where he can never relax and who is pressured to get money, expensive stuff, and be pretty. And to me it jumps out as that.

I think he is brave.

23 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Ok. Its very abstract art he has there I think you will agree. So I am just saying some of what  see, not like I have the right way. Though to me it was blinding.

He is dancing to upbeat music of a traditional style, then he says this is America, and then ..

He shoots people but he doesn't shoot gangsters. What he is doing is murdering the old culture. Gospel singers. Man with hood on and later a guitar wasn't singing blues I don't know that music but the image of the older black musician in a simple setting with his guitar is iconic. 

Because this is America 2018.

Don't catch you slippn' mean always be on your guard. He says that a lot. Not a healthy  way to live. He looks half crazy.

Then he hands the guns to who? Who hides them for him? The clean cut kids. Look like they dressed for church. From this I get that he is saying the whole culture is complicit. Not just the gangsters. They help him.

Because "Black man, get that money" over an over again. That is the message he is saying is given to young black men. Grandma told him this. Complicity.

GET MONEY

He mocks two songs, one of which is Gucci Gang, all about materialism, and I forget the other without watching the vid again. Not an omage there he is being harshly critical.

Then "I'm on Gucci, I'm so pretty" I hear him, mocking isn't a strong enough word, when he says that stuff.

'Your just a black man in this world, you're just a bar code yeah, driving expensive foreigns...: A barcode is on merchandise is how I take that. 

And he mentions not many brand names. I think Gucci is the only one, and that isn't a compliment when he says it.

I don't know all the words he used I just don't have the dialect down. But from the images and the words I do know, I see  man in a chaotic society where he can never relax and who is pressured to get money, expensive stuff, and be pretty. And to me it jumps out as that.

I think he is brave.

I would love for you to be right, but literally no one has interpreted this song or video the way you have. I initially took a similar view when I heard the song, then I listened to it again, heard people talk about, and then listened again.

All the adlibs and people you'd essentially be assuming he's criticizing are on the song. He has Quavo, Blocboy JB, 21 Savage, Slim Jxmmi. 

No one has interpreted the song and video the same way you have. At that point, it's far more likely you're the one who doesn't get the song. Doesn't it seem a little bit convenient that the song meshes with what you believe so well? You didn't write the song, and it is open for different interpretations, but I'm someone who likes your view of the song more than my actual view of the song and I think you're just flat out wrong. 

The shooting of the guitar player at the beginning with the more laid back, up lifting music is a comment on what America made him, and the black community. It's a lot of commentary about the systemic racism that exists in this county (not saying I agree with all this, just how I take what he is saying), he hands the gun to children, they treat the gun with more importance than the human bodies left behind. The choir being shot up is a reference to what happened in Charleston. 

Quavo is adlibbing him on I'm so Gucci... Migo's constantly is talking about Gucci... He's not taking subliminals at him... Rappers just don't do that anymore, even though it would be absolutely genius if he was using Quavo to diss himself.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I would love for you to be right, but literally no one has interpreted this song or video the way you have. I initially took a similar view when I heard the song, then I listened to it again, heard people talk about, and then listened again.

All the adlibs and people you'd essentially be assuming he's criticizing are on the song. He has Quavo, Blocboy JB, 21 Savage, Slim Jxmmi. 

No one has interpreted the song and video the same way you have. At that point, it's far more likely you're the one who doesn't get the song. Doesn't it seem a little bit convenient that the song meshes with what you believe so well? You didn't write the song, and it is open for different interpretations, but I'm someone who likes your view of the song more than my actual view of the song and I think you're just flat out wrong. 

The shooting of the guitar player at the beginning with the more laid back, up lifting music is a comment on what America made him, and the black community. It's a lot of commentary about the systemic racism that exists in this county (not saying I agree with all this, just how I take what he is saying), he hands the gun to children, they treat the gun with more importance than the human bodies left behind. The choir being shot up is a reference to what happened in Charleston. 

Quavo is adlibbing him on I'm so Gucci... Migo's constantly is talking about Gucci... He's not taking subliminals at him... Rappers just don't do that anymore, even though it would be absolutely genius if he was using Quavo to diss himself.

Yeaah it didn't escape me that it looks to me like just what I think as well.

What can I do?

How I see everyone else interpreting it is, they can't see anything else. They are pre-programmed to see it that way and how much of anything you read was original? I only read enough to see that everybody disagrees with me. :) But i didn't see anything new in what they said. Pretty much things we have already heard a thousand times wouldn't you say, as far as the message?

Is Donald Glover trite? Not that I have seen! I watch his show. By no means is it trite. It has been hit and miss a bit for my taste this season, but never trite.

And, I see some of the same message in that show, which is also, from my perspective, always missed.

The second to last one this year about the Fubu shirt. A kid winds up dead, over a Fubu shirt. (Not that simple but it boils down to that).

Nobody I read saw anything in that either.

That would be amazing if he was using Quavo as you say.

I wonder if Glover will ever spill the beans on what his message is there. 

• Like 2

Suggesting any kind of morality or decency in song selections in this forum will (and likely has) found you disparaged and diminished by the majority using their preferred tool of name calling and/or millenial logic. You are also unlikely to be taken seriously by the liberals who have all kinds of excuses about how children process information in today's age. I personally agree with you but good luck making your point on this forum.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Name something. 

Well, I bet I know tens of thousands? Or thousands anway.

But for some reason this popped into my head. It is old I guess.

It is also a masterpiece.

7 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Cool. I don’t particularly like Stevie Wonder’s music myself, but those who do should imo be able to enjoy it free of judgement and ridicule. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yeaah it didn't escape me that it looks to me like just what I think as well.

What can I do?

How I see everyone else interpreting it is, they can't see anything else. They are pre-programmed to see it that way and how much of anything you read was original? I only read enough to see that everybody disagrees with me. :) But i didn't see anything new in what they said. Pretty much things we have already heard a thousand times wouldn't you say, as far as the message?

Is Donald Glover trite? Not that I have seen! I watch his show. By no means is it trite. It has been hit and miss a bit for my taste this season, but never trite.

And, I see some of the same message in that show, which is also, from my perspective, always missed.

The second to last one this year about the Fubu shirt. A kid winds up dead, over a Fubu shirt. (Not that simple but it boils down to that).

Nobody I read saw anything in that either.

That would be amazing if he was using Quavo as you say.

I wonder if Glover will ever spill the beans on what his message is there. 

Fair enough... My favorite teacher was an English teacher in High School... One of the things I learned from him is that sometimes poets are told what their poems mean by the people who read it. It always stuck with me, and I think it's accurate. If someone, or the majority of your audience take something away from a piece, that's what you wrote. It doesn't necessarily matter what you set out to do, the piece will be judged by how others view it.

So you could be right, and I respect your view of the song. I just don't view that as what he set out to do. I like Atlanta, his minor work on 30 Rock, and his character on community a lot more than his work as a hip-hop artist for the most part. I was excited about the song when I first heard the audio. I flipped on CNN and I saw all these people raving about it, calling him a genius. Then I listened to the song, and when I listen to the song the first time around, I just try to take it in. And it had everything I like, the bridge, the chorus, it's not 16, hook,16, hook for 4 minutes then end the song. It is creative, but then I was just really disappointed when I saw who was featured and listened to it and tried to interpret everything.

Like I said, I'd really rather your interpretation of it all be right, I just genuinely don't think that's what he was aiming for. He could have gotten co-opted by people, but I'd think by this point he'd speak up if he felt he was being misrepresented. However, as you alluded too, he's a creative dude, and sometimes they seem to thrive in that being misunderstood area and enjoy throwing it back in everyone's face who was wrong. 

19 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

Suggesting any kind of morality or decency in song selections in this forum will (and likely has) found you disparaged and diminished by the majority using their preferred tool of name calling and/or millenial logic. You are also unlikely to be taken seriously by the liberals who have all kinds of excuses about how children process information in today's age. I personally agree with you but good luck making your point on this forum.

Weird that only 14 posts in you seem to have such a rough, worn, and callus view of the forum.

It's also the typical conservative, backing yourself into a corner,when no one is backing you into that corner, then claiming you've been bullied into that position.

I'm conservative, and this board is like 90% conservative. WNY is one of the most conservative areas in the country. This post is ridiculous. 

Get off your burner account, coward.

19 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Like it, what do you think of this song? I've been listening to it ever since I caught it on the car commercial. Love it.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Cool. I don’t particularly like Stevie Wonder’s music myself, but those who do should imo be able to enjoy it free of judgement and ridicule. 

All that just to set up your barb?

Well listen to it a few times it will have been worth it if you can adapt to it enough to hear it for a the magnificence that it is to me.

Back to your barb.

You Asked me, Right? You asked me, which is different, from my ENTIRE purpose, which is to say there is no asking happening here. And no information given. 

For the love of God why is it so hard to get that extremely simple point across? What is it with you guys?

Retort about my Topic, my question, the point I keep saying again and again. Not something that I didn't say. Geeze.

You know what scares me? I will tell you. I have such and EXTREMELY hard time getting Many posters here to understand my basic message that I say over and over and it is in plain language but it just doesn't happen.

And then I find out that person is a brain surgeon or something and it freaks me out man. The brain surgeon can't understand and I have to spend an hour explaining an 8 word sentence and what it means. And I wonder who in the world I trust with important tasks that can't understand a sentence.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

All that just to set up your barb?

Well listen to it a few times it will have been worth it if you can adapt to it enough to hear it for a the magnificence that it is to me.

Back to your barb.

You Asked me, Right? You asked me, which is different, from my ENTIRE purpose, which is to say there is no asking happening here. And no information given. 

For the love of God why is it so hard to get that extremely simple point across? What is it with you guys?

Retort about my Topic, my question, the point I keep saying again and again. Not something that I didn't say. Geeze.

You know what scares me? I will tell you. I have such and EXTREMELY hard time getting Many posters here to understand my basic message that I say over and over and it is in plain language but it just doesn't happen.

And then I find out that person is a brain surgeon or something and it freaks me out man. The brain surgeon can't understand and I have to spend an hour explaining an 8 word sentence and what it means. And I wonder who in the world I trust with important tasks that can't understand a sentence.

Thanks for listening.

Most surgeons are gross to be honest. Who wants to cut a human up and look at all that nasty stuff.. not me.

They're like the garbage men of doctors... I don't want my hands near all that stringy **** inside people.

They've got screws loose, just don't tell them you like Stevie Wonder or disagree with any opinion they have and you should be good. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Stop being offended by everything, it's not a good look. It's 2018 kids and athletes listen to rap music, old people don't like it. I'm sure your parents were big fans of the music you liked as a kid.  

30 years from now they'll be listening to oldies rap and complaining about how new music is crap.

I play drums, so cheesey sounding drum machines make my blood curdle. Almost all rap songs I hear have that, so I'm out.

Drum machines have no soul.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Scarface is still going strong...  Pac, scarface, 8ball and mjg, ugk, three 6 mafia, wu tang, mob deep, early eminem...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Ick... the word genius is handed out far too frequently these days.

If one of these entertainers were truly genius’ believe me we’d know. 

Kanye is a lot smarter than he is portrayed in the media.

Go watch even his most recent thing on tmz, the extended unedited version, where he explains his comment about "voluntary slavery"

No he's not a genius like Einstein, but musically, he's brilliant and innovative.

I think he is legit crazy.

Most artistic geniuses are.

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I used to be a big Kanye fan... I'm not huge on him anymore though, I do respect him musically though even though I think he gets more credit than is deserved. 

I really haven't like much of what he has done since 808's and heartbreak and beyond... Now someone who I think is great that I think is forgotten about, Andre 3000. His half of the last real Outkast album, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is something I don't think you get from a rapper often at all. I think he took musical chances on that album. Outkast is another one of my favorites, even though Big Boi is washed and Andre refuses to record music. I respect it though.

I think Andre is what Childish Gambino is going for, really not that much of a fan of his.  Red Bone was alright, but that "This Is America" song people have been raving about... really isn't all that special in my opinion. It's actually pretty lame and offers little that's new. The video is more creative than the song.

I don't love all of Kanye's stuff, but I respect his effort at his craft, and his risks to do things differently.

Yeezus was a really solid effort and very risky.

His public stuff is a bit wild, but as I said before, go through the stuff that isn't just mech is snips, he's pretty well thought out when your hear his context, even if I don't agree with all of it.

I agree with the rest of your post fully

6 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I love hearing people with no rhythm, that can't relate to hip hop at all, speak about how much it sucks.

You know nothing of the culture or the genre and you have no desire to.  Your opinion means nothing.

Always bringing up Tupac as a reference but couldn't recite a single Pac verse or name 3 of his songs if their life depended on it. 

Spare me...

Being a parrot who says “for the culture” is way lamer than Nathan in accounting who knows a few Coolio songs.  

I’ll let you get back to listening to 21 savage rap about getting high and banging your girl while shooting people in the face dawg. “Culture” ☠️☠️☠️😝

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Weird that only 14 posts in you seem to have such a rough, worn, and callus view of the forum.

It's also the typical conservative, backing yourself into a corner,when no one is backing you into that corner, then claiming you've been bullied into that position.

I'm conservative, and this board is like 90% conservative. WNY is one of the most conservative areas in the country. This post is ridiculous.  

Get off your burner account, coward.

Interesting that noting "only 14 posts" which I have made itself is intended to diminish my response. Having been a Bills fan for many years I have followed this forum.  Only recently have I decided to speak my piece. Your intention is to prove that with your many, many posts that your point has to be superior and correct but your reply is both flawed and laughable. I am not  backing myself into any corner. I stepped forward and stated my piece. Yours is the ridiculous post.