Brian Daboll’s Temper

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I tried finding the original article by Michael Silver, but it doesn’t seem to exist anymore. Anyway, I haven’t heard similar stories from other QBs, so hopefully Daboll’s mistreatment of Colt McCoy was a singular incident. Josh Allen mentioned his coordinator was very energetic and always in his ear, but he welcomed that style of coaching. Perhaps this is a non-story in 2018, or maybe it’s something to keep an eye on...

“There were times I had to pull my helmet off to call a play in the huddle,” McCoy recalled in an interview earlier this month. “Guys could hear him yelling, and they’d say, ‘Just take it off.’ People said to me, ‘Man, I ain’t never seen anything like that. Just hang in there.’”

Brian Daboll was an a-hole in Cleveland

Daboll’s rough treatment of Colt McCoy

And then there was this, from an interview with a KC reporter...

Q: In the last week, we've talked to a lot of people in Cleveland and Miami in the media that worked with you, and really high reviews from a lot of the local people. However, when you Google Brian Daboll, one of the first things that comes up is a Mike Silver article about harsh treatment of Colt McCoy. Can you maybe talk about your relationship with Colt and if the article was fair and if so, why there was that dynamic?

DABOLL: "The relationship with most of the players that I've coached, I have a very, very good relationship. Colt and I have a good relationship. It's not a bad relationship. I think there are certain times when you're a coach and sometimes emotion can get to you that maybe you step back and say, 'Boy, I would rather have handled it that way rather than this way,' but I think the job as a coach is to tell the players what to do, show them how to do it and really not accept any excuses. It's an emotional game, and just like certain things in my life, not just football, some things I wish I would have done differently here and there, but I have a lot of respect for Colt as well as the other guys that I've coached. I'm a high energy, up-tempo guy. I expect perfection. I know that's not possible all the time, but I think we need to all hold ourselves to a high standard of really setting the tone and expecting the highest detail and the highest execution from all of ourselves."

Q&A with Brian Daboll

So it would be an interesting, tough, and topical question by the Buffalo News and other reporters to question McDermott in his next press conference about whether he approves of this approach and intends to endorse Daboll to use it with the Bills current QB room, and whether Daboll coached that way in Alabama.

5 hours ago, ALF said:

Wow , Daboll really wants to win. I would think he learned to dial it back a bit from Colt McCoy.

f that dialing back. thats why they brought in a Pastor minister Rabbi priest cleric or two.
 do your job.

wait. that sounds familiar..

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

That was such a great game. 

I was very impressed with Tua, and also with the way Daboll just changed his offense on the fly like that (when Tua came in the game). It was almost like a completely different offense from the 1st half. 

this was a signature move. The one that likely cemented  McBeanes  thinking moving forward..It is a big deal in context

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Eh... that might be a big deal in another industry but not in the NFL. Obviously as a coach you're going to start at the bottom and work your way up. He moves out of the college ranks within a couple years and has some longevity with New England. After that, he bounces around not because his head coach kept firing him, but because his head coach (and entire staff) were getting fired. 

I think McDermott likes the guy for his high energy but I'm sure he's informed Daboll that he has a certain level of expectation when it comes to respect between coaches and players. McDermott is not the kind of coach to run around and scream like a lunatic and hurl insults, so I doubt he'd be the type of coach to tolerate from one of his assistants. 

I'm hoping you're right.  We'll see.

5 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

Brian Daboll's coaching resume':

Twelve jobs in 20 years.....hmmm ? 

What is a restrictive earnings coach?  Never heard of that. 

I'm not really surprised. He wasn't molded by, but he worked under Saban. Has worked in both pro and college ranks, college guys usually seem to be a little more off the wall with **** and what they think is ok. Saban reportedly made a guy cry in Miami. Not saying that the guy isn't a B word for crying, but that's what these college coaches do. They go off and lord over people. DIfference is in the NFL the tables are turned, and these guys, especially a guy like Allen are of more importance to a team than a coach. 

Marrone had his issues also.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but I think it'll be ok. The other positive is Allen doesn't know anything other than playing at levels of football yet where guys do anything other than scream at you and overreact. I could be wrong, but in my limited levels of playing and being around the game it seems like you just get screamed at until you get to the NFL. Even then you get bitched at, but I think it's a little more mild. Especially for stars.

5 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

What is a restrictive earnings coach?  Never heard of that. 

It's a coaching job right out of college.  Kind of like an internship.

Daboll was only 25 when he went to New England.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Good. I like a coach that has high expectations for his players.

It's one thing to have high expectations.  It's another thing to keep yelling at your QB about the last play, when he's trying to call the next play.

From Pop Warner and HS on, coaches tell their players to let go of a bad play and look ahead .....focus on what you need to do next, not what you just did.

How can a Grown-ass Man coaching Grown-ass Men in the NFL expect his QB to do that necessary thing, if he can't do it himself?

I don't personally know anyone who is either motivated or improved by constant yelling and belittling .  The occasional ass-chewing, sure, but that's more motivational if it's a contrast, if you know what I mean.   I think it gets both tuned out and internalized.  So it's very disturbing to me to think this could be our new OC's MO

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I would have been yelling at Colt McCoy, too, he has no business being on an NFL field. And besides, anyone named Colt McCoy should not be a whiny baby about being yelled at. When coaches used to tell him they needed a timeout he used to mope and go sit in the corner for ten minutes. 

Come on...he put upTeddy Bridgewater numbers in his second year

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's one thing to have high expectations.  It's another thing to keep yelling at your QB about the last play, when he's trying to call the next play.

From Pop Warner and HS on, coaches tell their players to let go of a bad play and look ahead .....focus on what you need to do next, not what you just did.

How can a Grown-ass Man coaching Grown-ass Men in the NFL expect his QB to do that necessary thing, if he can't do it himself?

I don't personally know anyone who is either motivated or improved by constant yelling and belittling .  The occasional ass-chewing, sure, but that's more motivational if it's a contrast, if you know what I mean.   I think it gets both tuned out and internalized.  So it's very disturbing to me to think this could be our new OC's MO

I think 20 years in the NFL including multiple stints with NE speaks for itself, not to mention being hired by Nick Saban and McDermott. I am not too concerned about some comment by McCowan. Perhaps McCowan has an over-sensitivity issue? 

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I think 20 years in the NFL including multiple stints with NE speaks for itself, not to mention being hired by Nick Saban and McDermott. I am not too concerned about some comment by McCowan. Perhaps McCowan has an over-sensitivity issue? 

Yeah, he hated being referred to as "McCowan".

"I've got a ton of respect for coach Daboll," McCoy said. "I ended up playing about half the season with him, so we did a lot of good things. … When I started playing, I learned a lot. I think that's natural in your first year, but I'll always consider myself a learner. I want to learn and I want to know the game, and I think coach Daboll really knows the game."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-09-22/sports/fl-miami-dolphins-0923-20110922_1_colt-mccoy-dolphins-coach-tony-sparano-dolphins-offensive-coordinator

Edited by Sky Diver

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Are you saying Dayboll would have made a good USMC DI?  Inductees go off to join the armed forces and go through rigorous training for not much more than room and board, yet players making large amounts of money can't put up with some adversity?

Does one have to delineate all the ways in which the NFL has different performance requirements and different desired outcomes than Army basic training?

Or can you think of say, 5 or 10 for yourself?

20 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Who is McCowan?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does one have to delineate all the ways in which the NFL has different performance requirements and different desired outcomes than basic training?

Or can you think of say, 5, for yourself?

Who is McCowan?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does one have to delineate all the ways in which the NFL has different performance requirements and different desired outcomes than basic training?

Or can you think of say, 5, for yourself?

Who is McCowan?

I meant to say McCoy.

Matt Moore speaks highly of Daboll.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2011/12/02/good-relationship-between-miami-dolphins-oc-brian-daboll-and-qb-matt-moore-leading-to-success-on-offense/

Jason Hurts on Daboll: “He’s been nothing but a brother and a father figure to me,” Hurts said. “He’s always been there for me. I appreciate that. He’s been there for this whole offense. He’s been leading us and doing all the things you ask an offensive coordinator, he’s done. He’s all positive.”

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/rankinfile/2017/12/29/hurts-daboll-bond-strong-but-must-improve-win-titles-alabama/989545001/

More on Daboll from a UA player: “We’re not numbers to him, we’re actual players and we’re people,” Hentges said. “That just shows why we love him so much. He knows all of us genuinely and he wants the best for us. Just things like that make it seem like he really cares about us and that’s why we love him so much.”

https://alabama.rivals.com/news/brian-daboll-and-alabama-players-share-plenty-of-nicknames

"I expect perfection. I know that's not possible all the time, but I think we need to all hold ourselves to a high standard of really setting the tone and expecting the highest detail and the highest execution from all of ourselves."

Not making any comparisons here, but this reminded me of old quote from Vince Lombardi. Something like "We strive for perfection. Nobody's perfect, but in the pursuit of perfection, you can achieve excellence".

Lombardi certainly was a fiery coach. Maybe Daboll was being too hard in the moment, but it was Cold McCoy for Pete's sake, and it was the Browns...not exactly you known for their high structure characteristics. McDermott is all about accountabilty, but is also very structured. I'm sure if Daboll were to get "out of line" a bit, McDermott would be in his ear. And I'm sure Daboll has learned a lot from mistakes over the years.