Brian Daboll’s Temper

9 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

Twelve jobs in 20 years.....hmmm ? 

Eh... that might be a big deal in another industry but not in the NFL. Obviously as a coach you're going to start at the bottom and work your way up. He moves out of the college ranks within a couple years and has some longevity with New England. After that, he bounces around not because his head coach kept firing him, but because his head coach (and entire staff) were getting fired. 

I think McDermott likes the guy for his high energy but I'm sure he's informed Daboll that he has a certain level of expectation when it comes to respect between coaches and players. McDermott is not the kind of coach to run around and scream like a lunatic and hurl insults, so I doubt he'd be the type of coach to tolerate from one of his assistants. 

• Like (+1) 2

Are you saying Dayboll would have made a good USMC DI?  Inductees go off to join the armed forces and go through rigorous training for not much more than room and board, yet players making large amounts of money can't put up with some adversity?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

Brian Daboll's coaching resume':

That explains everything now...the William & Mary connection.  Never held an off. coordinator job for more than 2 years.  Good luck with Daboll.  I see the offense no better off with this cast-off.   Local boy or not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think the OP came to a hasty conclusion and is trying to lead others down the path.  The thread could just as easily have been called "Brian Daboll's Passion" or "Brian Daboll's Tough Love" -- seems like there's not much to see here.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Give him a QB and we'll see what he can do.

He would never get in a player's ear. :)

That was such a great game. 

I was very impressed with Tua, and also with the way Daboll just changed his offense on the fly like that (when Tua came in the game). It was almost like a completely different offense from the 1st half. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

OK, I see.  His career really can't be looked at by the "list" of jobs.

Daboll's first NFL gig was under Belichick from 2000-2006 we he was called an "up and comer" to the coaching league.

After Eric Mangini left New England to become HC of the Jet's, Daboll was asked a year later to join as QB coach.

Mangini left the Jet's to become Cleveland's HC, Daboll followed and was promoted to OC.

After Mangini got fired Daboll went to MIA as OC, it was the year MIA had Sparano and Bowels as HC's.

Daboll, out of a job because of MIA HC coaching changes, got hired as OC for Romeo Crennel (his last year as KC HC).

When Reid took over as KC's HC he brought in Doug Peterson and Daboll went back to New England for 3 years.

Daboll went to Alabama to kick start his OC coaching career and then came to Buffalo.

Some think he was too young for his first OC gigs and he has matured as a coach.

I hope that is true and under a "stable" environment in Buffalo he will evolve into a good OC.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

OK, I see.  His career really can't be looked at by the "list" of jobs.

Daboll's first NFL gig was under Belichick from 2000-2006 we he was called an "up and comer" to the coaching league.

After Eric Mangini left New England to become HC of the Jet's, Daboll was asked a year later to join as QB coach.

Mangini left the Jet's to become Cleveland's HC, Daboll followed and was promoted to OC.

After Mangini got fired Daboll went to MIA as OC, it was the year MIA had Sparano and Bowels as HC's.

Daboll, out of a job because of MIA HC coaching changes, got hired as OC for Romeo Crennel (his last year as KC HC).

When Reid took over as KC's HC he brought in Doug Peterson and Daboll went back to New England for 3 years.

Daboll went to Alabama to kick start his OC coaching career and then came to Buffalo.

Some think he was too young for his first OC gigs and he has matured as a coach.

I hope that is true and under a "stable" environment in Buffalo he will evolve into a good OC.

Good post.

Amazing what a little context does. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That was such a great game. 

I was very impressed with Tua, and also with the way Daboll just changed his offense on the fly like that (when Tua came in the game). It was almost like a completely different offense from the 1st half. 

Tua is impressive. He's played that way in every game he was in, including the A-Day game.

24 minutes ago, eball said:

I think the OP came to a hasty conclusion and is trying to lead others down the path.  The thread could just as easily have been called "Brian Daboll's Passion" or "Brian Daboll's Tough Love" -- seems like there's not much to see here.

I’m not trying to lead anyone down any path, nor did I come to a hasty conclusion. Perhaps you didn’t read the original post in its entirety. 

1 hour ago, Ifartalot said:

I'd chill on this. His resume shows a guy climbing the offensive ranks, getting three shots at OC before he was really ready, going back to his first employer (who gladly took him back for 4 seasons) to refine his skills, practicing those skills at a high level on the college field, then getting another opportunity at the job he wanted on the pro level. Most freelance employees will work at multiple jobs refining the skills they need before taking over or breaking off on their own.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I tried finding the original article by Michael Silver, but it doesn’t seem to exist anymore. Anyway, I haven’t heard similar stories from other QBs, so hopefully Daboll’s mistreatment of Colt McCoy was a singular incident. Josh Allen mentioned his coordinator was very energetic and always in his ear, but he welcomed that style of coaching. Perhaps this is a non-story in 2018, or maybe it’s something to keep an eye on...

“There were times I had to pull my helmet off to call a play in the huddle,” McCoy recalled in an interview earlier this month. “Guys could hear him yelling, and they’d say, ‘Just take it off.’ People said to me, ‘Man, I ain’t never seen anything like that. Just hang in there.’”

Brian Daboll was an a-hole in Cleveland

Daboll’s rough treatment of Colt McCoy

And then there was this, from an interview with a KC reporter...

Q: In the last week, we've talked to a lot of people in Cleveland and Miami in the media that worked with you, and really high reviews from a lot of the local people. However, when you Google Brian Daboll, one of the first things that comes up is a Mike Silver article about harsh treatment of Colt McCoy. Can you maybe talk about your relationship with Colt and if the article was fair and if so, why there was that dynamic?

DABOLL: "The relationship with most of the players that I've coached, I have a very, very good relationship. Colt and I have a good relationship. It's not a bad relationship. I think there are certain times when you're a coach and sometimes emotion can get to you that maybe you step back and say, 'Boy, I would rather have handled it that way rather than this way,' but I think the job as a coach is to tell the players what to do, show them how to do it and really not accept any excuses. It's an emotional game, and just like certain things in my life, not just football, some things I wish I would have done differently here and there, but I have a lot of respect for Colt as well as the other guys that I've coached. I'm a high energy, up-tempo guy. I expect perfection. I know that's not possible all the time, but I think we need to all hold ourselves to a high standard of really setting the tone and expecting the highest detail and the highest execution from all of ourselves."

Q&A with Brian Daboll

Anything authored by Silver is trash too begin with. He has been promoted way above his IQ level. I actually knew that moron when he wrote for the press democrat in Sonoma county California during the super bowl years. The idiot actually argued (and then printed the next day) a story on the comeback game. He bet and lost while telling us the Bills comeback game was played in Houston and not Orchard Park. Moron. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ifartalot said:

Or he worked for Belichick and Saban and he is not a HC for the Bills.