Brian Daboll’s Temper

I tried finding the original article by Michael Silver, but it doesn’t seem to exist anymore. Anyway, I haven’t heard similar stories from other QBs, so hopefully Daboll’s mistreatment of Colt McCoy was a singular incident. Josh Allen mentioned his coordinator was very energetic and always in his ear, but he welcomed that style of coaching. Perhaps this is a non-story in 2018, or maybe it’s something to keep an eye on...

“There were times I had to pull my helmet off to call a play in the huddle,” McCoy recalled in an interview earlier this month. “Guys could hear him yelling, and they’d say, ‘Just take it off.’ People said to me, ‘Man, I ain’t never seen anything like that. Just hang in there.’”

Brian Daboll was an a-hole in Cleveland

Daboll’s rough treatment of Colt McCoy

And then there was this, from an interview with a KC reporter...

Q: In the last week, we've talked to a lot of people in Cleveland and Miami in the media that worked with you, and really high reviews from a lot of the local people. However, when you Google Brian Daboll, one of the first things that comes up is a Mike Silver article about harsh treatment of Colt McCoy. Can you maybe talk about your relationship with Colt and if the article was fair and if so, why there was that dynamic?

DABOLL: "The relationship with most of the players that I've coached, I have a very, very good relationship. Colt and I have a good relationship. It's not a bad relationship. I think there are certain times when you're a coach and sometimes emotion can get to you that maybe you step back and say, 'Boy, I would rather have handled it that way rather than this way,' but I think the job as a coach is to tell the players what to do, show them how to do it and really not accept any excuses. It's an emotional game, and just like certain things in my life, not just football, some things I wish I would have done differently here and there, but I have a lot of respect for Colt as well as the other guys that I've coached. I'm a high energy, up-tempo guy. I expect perfection. I know that's not possible all the time, but I think we need to all hold ourselves to a high standard of really setting the tone and expecting the highest detail and the highest execution from all of ourselves."

Q&A with Brian Daboll

Well, I imagine I would lose my temper with Colt McCoy too.

Also, just working for the Browns would make me lose my temper. Terrible organization, terrible color scheme, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I would have been yelling at Colt McCoy, too, he has no business being on an NFL field. And besides, anyone named Colt McCoy should not be a whiny baby about being yelled at. When coaches used to tell him they needed a timeout he used to mope and go sit in the corner for ten minutes. 

5 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Can I patent "just throw Daboll!" when we all get sick of his old school, run-first scheme? I'm guessing this happens by week 3.

Give him a QB and we'll see what he can do.

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

it's a known fact that Saban coddles his players... :D

He would never get in a player's ear. :)

• Like (+1) 1

Brian Daboll's coaching resume':

Twelve jobs in 20 years.....hmmm ? 

Edited by Ifartalot
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm asking, is Colt McCoy the only player that Dabol had this type of relationship with?

If so, the one thing I remember about McCoy when he was in Cleveland was he played scared.

I kind of think this is no big deal.  The Buffalo Bill's offensive can use a little fire in them.

5 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

Brian Daboll's coaching resume':

.....hmmm ? 

Dabol's resume has been talked about a lot after his hire.

Just curious what the ...hmmm is about.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Dabol's resume has been talked about a lot after his hire.

Just curious what the ...hmmm is about.

Willingness to go anywhere and do whatever it took to advance his career in the NFL.  Very seldom to coaches stay in one place very long, and I don't think Daboll is done.   If he develops Allen and gets this offense going, he'll be a HC in 3 years himself.