[Vague Title]Great Scott !! Why is He Always to Blame ??

With the talk of the Bills retiring Thurman's number this year on the NFL web site they have put up a number of video's highlighting some of Thurman's career one of which is Super Bowl 25. In the heading it says how Thurm should have won the MVP but as alway at the end the give ration of S**T about Scott missing the field goal to lose the game .

Well i get it that that one kick could have , should have , would have won the game & i think we all know no matter when we here the term "Wide Right" get that same thought or feeling that we had that glorious day but to say it was all Norwoods fault for losing the game is a crock ! 

The Bills D let so many plays get through for extra downs in that game that if they were not allowed it would have sealed the game for the Bills not to mention that Norwood from something like 46 yds & out was something like 34% & from 46 yds in his numbers jumped to like 60+% ?

So why didn't they least try one quick out for a couple of yds or give to Thurman which was dominating the run game that day for a extra 2 or 3 yds it wouldn't have taken all the time they had left on the clock for one play, they had 8 seconds left . Can you say hurry up offense which the Bills were known for !!!! 

I just still don't get why all of the focus was on one guy winning or losing the game when its a team sport which the D is part of & the numbers showed that he was less accurate at the distance & the coach of all people should have known that & tried to get him in a better position .

There is enough blame to go around i just wish they would look deeper into it & spread the blame around a bit ! I would think Norwood felt like total S**T after but adding the media & the fan base on his back its a wonder the dude didn't commit him self !! He for sure went into exile because of it !! 

I know it's part of the past but seeing that got my stuff stirred up again SORRY !! 

Edited by T master

6 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Jim Kelly trying to be the hero cost the Bills the game.

Yeah ironically Kelly was lauded as a great guy at making us score quick but couldn't manage the clock better to give us 1 more play to make the kick that much closer.

24 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Marv Levy’s coaching cost the Bills the game.

Agreed.  thurmon ran for between 145-155 yards in 14 attempts and they only had three up front.  If they would have kept running, then they would have brought more up front and then they would have changed their approach, and then the KGun could have worked.

terrible coaching

• Like (+1) 3

It was a team effort. Defense could not make stops. Reed dropped a pass. Talley missed some plays. It was a great game, someone had to lose sadly, and it was us.

If we played that Giants tam 10 times, we probably win 8. That Sunday the Giants got the better of us.

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Bruce's safety cost us the game.  If he'd forced a fumble, that's a TD instead of two points.

Actually it was Hostetler's hands that cost us the game.  He was a QB with big hands, otherwise fumble and TD.

So, yup, Hostetler's hands  :nana:

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Bruce's safety cost us the game.  If he'd forced a fumble, that's a TD instead of two points.

That's a bit of a stretch to say that play cost them the game, haha. Bruce still has no idea how Hostetler was able to hold onto the ball on that play. By all means he definitely should've fumbled it as Bruce chopped at it and even got his hand on it. Somehow, Hostetler holds onto it and pulls it up at the last possible second. 

Someone else already mentioned it here but I'll echo the sentiment that the Bills were too stubborn to adjust their offensive game plan to handing the rock to Thurman all night. Dude was on fire and NYG even had several plays defensively where they only had two (friggin' TWO!) DL on the line. I mean, how the crap did they not talk about that on the sideline? Like, nobody thought to say, "Yo, they're playing to stop the pass all night, why don't we change it up and start calling our bread and butter run plays for #34 here?" And then the minute the Giants adjust and start stacking the box to stop the run, you let Kelly audible and start picking them apart. 

Overall, a case of team-wide overconfidence and a lack of coaching to get the players focused cost them the game. To have their offense shut down the way it was and having the defense miss some key tackles but still have a chance to win it on the last play shows just how insanely talented that group was. Not winning that one will always sting because that was arguably the best Bills team in their history and quite possibly an all-time top ten team in NFL history.

Edited by blacklabel

7 minutes ago, phypon said:

Actually it was Hostetler's hands that cost us the game.  He was a QB with big hands, otherwise fumble and TD.

So, yup, Hostetler's hands  :nana:

I'm still amazed that he was able to hold on to the ball on that play

37 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

It was a team effort. Defense could not make stops. Reed dropped a pass. Talley missed some plays. It was a great game, someone had to lose sadly, and it was us.

If we played that Giants tam 10 times, we probably win 8. That Sunday the Giants got the better of us.

Didn't they beat the Giants on the road in week 17 that year?

8 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

That's a bit of a stretch to say that play cost them the game

No ****, Mr. Wizard.  I was mocking the whole "this play cost us the game" argument.  Now have another drink.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

Well i get it that that one kick could have , should have , would have won the game & i think we all know no matter when we here the term "Wide Right" get that same thought or feeling that we had that glorious day but to say it was all Norwoods fault for losing the game is a crock ! 

I agree with ur assessment, and had this convo in the past with friends. But unfortunately it's just the way it is. 

Similar to the way David Tyree(not Plaxico Burress w/ game winning touchdown)was the hero against the Pats. Yes he made an incredible play, but that is not the only play made during the game, it's just the one that sticks out the most being towards end of game(Tyree would not have the notoriety he does if he made that catch in 1st half). There are many examples of players donned the hero or at fault in closing moments in games in every sport.