Has a 1st or 2nd round QB you disliked been successful?

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think the Redskins got an older Kirk Cousins.  If that is what they wanted, they got it.

I could be wrong.  I think Kirk was far more developed at a younger point in his career.  Basically, the first year he got significant playing time (5 starts, 3rd season) he was able to complete >60% of his passes, 285 ypg, too many picks but TD>INT (barely).  You look at Alex Smith first 3 seasons, I would never, never have thought he would go on to be a viable NFL QB -  I'm talking <50% completions, 1 TD 11 INTs etc etc.   And I think Cousins >> Smith now.

But I could be mistaken.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Deshaun Watson - I read that QBs that throw under 55 mph can't succeed. When he threw 49 he came off my proverbial board.

You are the only one on here willing to admit disliking Watson.  Everyone on here thought he would be a bust due to his lack of arm strength but now everyone claims they knew he would be great.

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong.  I think Kirk was far more developed at a younger point in his career.  Basically, the first year he got significant playing time (5 starts, 3rd season) he was able to complete >60% of his passes, 285 ypg, too many picks but TD>INT (barely).  You look at Alex Smith first 3 seasons, I would never, never have thought he would go on to be a viable NFL QB -  I'm talking <50% completions, 1 TD 11 INTs etc etc.   And I think Cousins >> Smith now.

But I could be mistaken.

Good post, you very well could be right.  Just going by the teams they are on, Cousins could certainly look better than Alex Smith; much better supporting cast in Minny.  My initial point was that I believe both are slightly above average QBs who need a good supporting cast to win.  Cousins will have that and look good.  Smith will probably look about average as a Redskin.

Michael Vick - I thought he was overrated because of his accuracy and questioned his durability if he was going to run the ball as often as he did in college.

Eli Manning.  I thought he was over-hyped because of his father and brother.

Alex Smith - the gimmicky offense at Utah State combined with questions about his arm strength made me think he'd be a bust.

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Derek Carr comes to mind. I didn’t think that he’d be awful but didn’t think that he’d be good. He’s better than I expected.

That's my example. Even after his first year, I still thought he was going to be a bum.

11 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Cam and Goff.... and I still don't think Goff is good

Goff threw for almost 4k yards with 28 tds and less than 10 ints in his second year. I would take that all day from a young developing QB.

15 minutes ago, Jeetz1231 said:

Goff threw for almost 4k yards with 28 tds and less than 10 ints in his second year. I would take that all day from a young developing QB.

I think that is the system... not Goff. I believe a QB like Cousins would throw for 5k and 40 TDs. I just don't think Goff is all that impressive and McVay makes him look better than he actually is.

Tbh, a lot of the time I don't pay that much attention to the QBs coming out, if the Bills don't look like they are going to be drafting one.

There's been the odd one I really didn't like, and been proven right about (Clausen), and I think I was very leery of Newton, due to his style of play, rather than his ability.

Currently Bortles would be about he most likely candidate, as he seems to be developing decently, and I thought he was way 'over drafted'.

I suppose, to an extent, Tannehill falls into a similar category to Bortles. I still think he was a 'reach', but he's done better than I expected, although that may be 'Phins bias coming into play. ;)

12 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Deshaun Watson - I read that QBs that throw under 55 mph can't succeed. When he threw 49 he came off my proverbial board.

Agreed. I thought the same thing about him.  The other issue I had with him was his size and style of play though.  His injury last season might be a sign of things to come so I’ll leave the jury out on him.  Still, he did better than I thought he would. 

11 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

You are the only one on here willing to admit disliking Watson.  Everyone on here thought he would be a bust due to his lack of arm strength but now everyone claims they knew he would be great.

Not everyone thought he would be a bust. 

• Like (+1) 1