Has a 1st or 2nd round QB you disliked been successful?

I didn't think Alex Smith would really be any good. It took a while but clearly he's a very solid quarterback. Having a different OC for his first seven seasons (as well as multiple different HC's) certainly hindered his development but once he was put into a system that played to his strengths he was finally able to reach his potential. 

Designing schemes and game plans based around what your players naturally do well has always been my answer on "how to succeed" when it comes to developing players. It's not rocket science. You identify what the guy does well and draw up plays that utilize those skills. In the meantime, you work with him on areas of weakness while still sharpening his skills that he already does well. 

You don't pull a Rex Ryan and come in, assess your team which is composed of players best suited for a straightforward/see ball-get ball 4-3 style of defense and say, "Alrighty fellas, we're gonna dig up my dad's old playbook from the mid-80's and run that sh*t! Sweet, right? I mean, it's been 30 some years since my old man came up with this stuff so obviously there's just NO WAY anyone has had the time to figure it out! And I know you're all used to simple calls and straightforward assignments but here's what's up now, each one of you can have up to 416 different assignments based on what the offense is showing you! To help you remember those assignments I've devised a foolproof system of checks so you'll know what to do when you hear the check. If you hear 'Barf Nugget' that means you drop into coverage. If you hear 'Sloppy Joe Slapped My Wife' then you'll know to rush the passer. If you hear 'Sloppy Joe Slapped My Wife With A Barf Nugget' then you know that you'll be simultaneously covering the tight end and the running back coming to the flats as well as rushing the passer and dropping into a zone. This is genius, I'm tellin' ya! And to make sure this system runs as perfectly as it can, I've acquired a secret weapon. This secret weapon is responsible for some historic defenses! It's mah brudder Rob!! Oh and by historic, I meant historically bad!"

OK so I got a little carried away but you get it. Don't try to fit round pegs into square holes.

Edited by blacklabel

Derek Carr for me too. It wasn't that I disliked him. I had him graded pretty much where I had Rudolph this year right on that 1st / 2nd round borderline. If he could play at his 2016 level for most of his career I will have been wrong on him because that was top 10 QB play. His 2017 tape however.... 

Bortles is the one I have liked more than most that hasn't quite hit the level I thought. He is still a serviceable starter and played a Championship game last year, but in hindsight I had Bortles and Carr the wrong was round but was dead on with Teddy and Manziel that year. 

10 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

EJ. 

Best hard count in the game.

You jest but the number of people that said he would be out of the league in 4 years are wrong so I would consider that a success.

Granted he's not successful on the field but still getting a decent paycheck from the raiders.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

That was the first name that came to my mind. I just saw a few games in college, and didn’t think much of him. Not that he’s GREAT, but he’s much better than I thought. 

I thought he was the classic great college/horrible pro QB.  Truth be told, he looked pretty damn good when he was starting last year.  And to think I was afraid the Bills were going to draft him.  But you're right; too small of a sample size to know anything for sure.

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

Deshaun Watson - I read that QBs that throw under 55 mph can't succeed. When he threw 49 he came off my proverbial board.

I already didn't want him, but that arm speed bit was the icing on the cake.  It's nice to see some of these tried & true rules being proven wrong, what with us having a sub-57% QB.

11 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Alex Smith and Cam Newton. I thought they were products of gimmicky offenses that used a 1 read system and easy throws. I didn’t think either would ever be competitive in the NFL. 

Alex Smith is a good example.  I've been impressed by how he's developed.  Still not sure he's what the Redskins think he is though.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Still not sure he's what the Redskins think he is though.

I think the Redskins got an older Kirk Cousins.  If that is what they wanted, they got it.