Cap Space June 1st

I was reviewing Sportac for the Bills available cap space and with only Josh Allen and Harrison Phillips unsigned (monies are built in based on draft choice slotting) leaving the Bills with around 10 Million plus left.

First, as of June 1st what happens to the cap space when Eric Woods retirement goes into effect?  Do the Bills gain or lose a little cap space along with picking up a roster spot.

If we gain some additional cap money how might you suggest we move forward to player additions.

Your thoughts and feedback are always appreciated.

I think with Eric Wood, he didn't retire at his "retirement presser" because they plan on putting him on IR to save the cap space.

From what I understand, it's dead money if he's retired, but comes off the books if he's IR'ed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Shotgunner said:

I think with Eric Wood, he didn't retire at his "retirement presser" because they plan on putting him on IR to save the cap space.

From what I understand, it's dead money if he's retired, but comes off the books if he's IR'ed.

That's fine as long as they don't screw him out of money.   The Steelers accelerated Shazier's money into bonuses so he could get it right now, we better not fenagle his contract to screw him out of money for being injured.   

24 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Watch the Fitz roast video that was recently posted, oddly enough, it explains it fairly well.

24 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

That's fine as long as they don't screw him out of money.   The Steelers accelerated Shazier's money into bonuses so he could get it right now, we better not fenagle his contract to screw him out of money for being injured.   

I doubt that.. I'm sure its already worded in the contract on how the money is handled. Putting him on IR actually may bring him more money until his official retirement...  If he retired he would not get any bonuses from that point on. If they IR him and hes on the roster i beleive he would be entitled to any bonuses outside of a workout bonus

• Like (+1) 1

His current cap charge is $8.88 mil. If he retires or goes IR before June 1st it would jump up to $10.64 mil, costing us about $1.77 mil more in cap this year.

After June 1st his hit goes to $8.4 mil this year with $2.16 mil pushed off til next year. So when he retires or whatever after June 1st we will gain about $400,000 in cap space this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Tuco said:

His current cap charge is $8.88 mil. If he retires or goes IR before June 1st it would jump up to $10.64 mil, costing us about $1.77 mil more in cap this year.

After June 1st his hit goes to $8.4 mil this year with $2.16 mil pushed off til next year. So when he retires or whatever after June 1st we will gain about $400,000 in cap space this year.

I believe that your explanation is correct.  It was insinuated the Bills were waiting for June 1 for the exact reason you stated.

What I haven't heard is about Wood's Roster Bonus for this year, that could affect the $400,000.

As for how much Cap is left after Allen, Phillips and Kerley (I would guess about 1 million for Kerley) sign, I get after offsetting the top 51 at $12.5 million.

Beane wants some room so I would guess he has about 5-6 million to play with still.

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....BUMBLES 247 is the Master Capologist but I haven't seen him posting here for months..........

You got that right Oldtimer!  Bumbles was the Master and we had a lot of good talks.

He taught me a lot about the NFL financials.  He is missed and I hope all is well with him!

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You got that right Oldtimer!  Bumbles was the Master and we had a lot of good talks.

He taught me a lot about the NFL financials.  He is missed and I hope all is well with him!

...he used to post at BILLIEVERS......so I put out an APB on him, hoping to report back shortly...............

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I believe that your explanation is correct.  It was insinuated the Bills were waiting for June 1 for the exact reason you stated.

What I haven't heard is about Wood's Roster Bonus for this year, that could affect the $400,000.

As for how much Cap is left after Allen, Phillips and Kerley (I would guess about 1 million for Kerley) sign, I get after offsetting the top 51 at $12.5 million.

Beane wants some room so I would guess he has about 5-6 million to play with still.

Right. The $400,000 could actually be $0. We would still save a little over a mil by waiting til June 1st - but "saving" means not adding cap hit this year, not gaining any.  Either way, waiting til June 1st keeps us from losing an additional $2.7 mil this year. The most we will gain is $400,000 but that's $250,000 roster and $150,000 workout that's up in the air. So we keep from adding a couple mil this year by waiting, and we might also gain a couple hundred thousand but I doubt it. Regardless, the most we gain from our current number is $400,000 and that's not enough to change a whole lot as far as spending on FAs.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

....found BUMBLES 247 on Believers site.....here is what he posted about June 1 cap implications.........

They don't amount to doodly. We might save as much as $400,000 on Wood. That is, we don't add anything to his cap hit like we would if he retired before June 1st. And it's possible his roster and workout bonuses might be saved (totaling $400,000) but I doubt it.

To put it another way, Woods current cap hit already assumes he's going to still be here on June 1st. Any "savings" realized by not retiring or whatever until June 1st just means our cap hit won't get any bigger when he retires after that date. Then there's a possibility we may gain some or all of $400,000 in cap space when he does retire, depending on wording and when his roster and workout bonuses for this year are paid (but I doubt it). I don't think his cap charge is going to change at all. Waiting until June 1st just ensures it doesn't get any bigger.

Richie has already been put on the reserve list, but since it was his last year anyway there was no savings by waiting til June 1st, so no change with him either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1