Emmett Cleary left NFL to go to medical school

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/275379/why-an-nfl-lineman-walked-away-at-27-to-pursue-med-school

Had Cleary made the Lions this season, he would have been paid $705,000. In his career, a combination of Indianapolis, Cincinnati, the New York Giants, Dallas and Detroit paid him $1,370,788, according to Spotrac. He could have kept going. It would have paid well. But medicine has always been on his mind, and the length of time he would need to become a doctor wouldn’t become shorter just because he played football longer.

At least if he saved well he will not need to pay student loans like some doctors.  Some DO get an education in college and not in "individual interdisciplinary studies".

After taxes and even basic living expenses, I wonder how well this will cover it? At least he has undergrad fully covered and complete I assume. I have a buddy who’s daughter is looking at schools like Duke and Johns Hopkins with an eye towards medical school. He’s thinking it might take something close to what the NFL has netted him so far. 

A coworker graduated with a double BS in Electrical Engineering and Biology.  During summer spending time in summer camps and practices he put in and got late admission to medical school wanting to go into cybernetics.  Latest I heard from him he is about to graduate from medical school with Doctorate in EE and MD degree.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/275379/why-an-nfl-lineman-walked-away-at-27-to-pursue-med-school

At least if he saved well he will not need to pay student loans like some doctors.  Some DO get an education in college and not in "individual interdisciplinary studies".

Yeah but it probably would make sense to do so...those loans dont come due til after you graduate and he could invest that money or continue to collect interest on it while in school instead of paying up front.

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah but it probably would make sense to do so...those loans dont come due til after you graduate and he could invest that money or continue to collect interest on it while in school instead of paying up front.

Having that money set aside may limit what he’s able to borrow, actually. 

3 minutes ago, transient said:

That's the crazy part...who has a better chance of paying you back? A broke college kid with no guarantee of future money or a guy with a bunch of money in the bank?

If you went to get a personal loan who is likely to get the loan?? How do the rules reverse for school when you are borrowing 10x the amount of money as you would for a personal loan...

Edited by matter2003

27 minutes ago, transient said:

I imagine he would find it difficult to qualify for a student loan, but I would thnk he could get personal loans.

51 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

my son is in med school. while the loans only have to be paid starting after graduation, interest starts accruing immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

My Uncle David joined the Marines, though he was drafted by the Colts as a defensive end... the Marines paid better in the 50s.   He was the 6'5" Ivy League Trophy Winner out of Dartmouth...  David Bathrick.  He later became a German Professor and philosopher.