Buffalo News in financial trouble

On 5/16/2018 at 6:26 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

The good news writers need to transition to online content so that we can stop seeing the garbage put up there.    Today, anyone or everyone writes their crap online and we have to read it...Journalism at its cross roads.

On 5/17/2018 at 6:13 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..print media has been dying a slow death for years.....I'd bet the only diehard "delivered to my door" subscribers are oldtimers who do not use a computer and want to read the paper with their morning coffee....in the 24/7/365 real time news, print copy is probably printed up at 11PM and delivered to your door by 6AM with already stale news.....my late wife religiously delivered hard copy door to door for 15 years and we watched subscriptions decline each year....many switched to SUNDAYS ONLY just for ads and coupons....you can get enough info locally as far as headlines without an on-line subscription.....time becomes the essence and people won't subscribe on-line for in depth reading anymore IMO....

Hmm. A light bulb just went off. 

I think Bezos should buy into the Buffalo News and deliver the paper by drone. You could actually deliver it just as the reader was getting up, drop it on their front porch to ensure the news being reported was timely. I think I'm going to send him a letter on Monday when the post office is open again. 

This idea is in the incubator stage but I think it's got some legs to it.

Thanks OTALFG.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ganesh said:

The good news writers need to transition to online content so that we can stop seeing the garbage put up there.    Today, anyone or everyone writes their crap online and we have to read it...Journalism at its cross roads.

So are communication skills...

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/18/2018 at 3:11 PM, Boyst62 said:

Or the content blows ass and not worth the read.  

Quality sells. bull **** rags don't. 

Yep, I'll pay for something worth my money. As a former reporter myself, I appreciate good reporting, good columns, good writing. None of that exists with the news. It's the only goddamn paper in this town, and we're supposed to feel sorry that it f*@$ed up a monopoly? Think about for a second.... they have a monopoly and fubared it.

It's the same with Tops. Both are owned by investors not committed to improving and investing in the product but cutting corners and maxing profit.  Both have been institutions in this town and both are dying, deservedly so.

Edited by zonabb
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We used to leave Braves games at the Aud and they had the advanced addition of morning news for sale on the way out. The morning version would tell me what I just saw. How many versions did they have to create? Now we get the full news with live stats on our phones still sitting in our seats. 

It’s a new world.....

As will be tomorrow....

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The p is not close to the b on the QWERTY.

Just saying. 

Then again, it could be a 'Charlie Farquharson / Don Harron' purposeful mangling of the language to reinforce a point.  Harron was a master at that art.

18 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Hmm. A light bulb just went off. 

I think Bezos should buy into the Buffalo News and deliver the paper by drone. You could actually deliver it just as the reader was getting up, drop it on their front porch to ensure the news being reported was timely. I think I'm going to send him a letter on Monday when the post office is open again. 

This idea is in the incubator stage but I think it's got some legs to it.

Thanks OTALFG.

Or the gentle reader can rev up their electronic tablet, click on their news-sites of choice, and get timely news over coffee without the involvement of paper, printing presses, drones, or the need to expose the neighbors to the glory of the new bathrobe their kid gave them for Christmas.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or the gentle reader can rev up their electronic tablet, click on their news-sites of choice, and get timely news over coffee without the involvement of paper, printing presses, drones, or the need to expose the neighbors to the glory of the new bathrobe their kid gave them for Christmas.

They would have burned you at the stake in Salem for even thinking such things, Warlock Bills Fan. Your idea could never work.  "Electronic tablets"? Good luck with that plan. 

• Haha (+1) 1

It would be fun to watch them pull it out of the nosedive. But again it is a very bad circumstance to be in deep financial trouble and not even know what business you are in. They don't know what business they are in. 

They are in the advertising business. But people will not buy ads in the newspaper.

What this means is, that the ads in the paper are ineffective. If the ads were effective they would sell like hotcakes. 

Their focus needed to be to find out why their ads don't work for the customer and fix it. That's job one and they are still not doing that even as the ship is taking on water.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:54 PM, Sky Diver said:

The root of the problem is the content. Newspapers are out of touch with readers.

So newspapers stating everyone hates Trump and thinks he's a buffoon is out of touch ?

.....well they all did say Hillary would win in a landslide too.

Guess they are wrong about a lot.

:doh:

• Like (+1) 1

You can say these things about just about every newspaper in every city in the country. 

People don't read the paper anymore.  News on TV all day, sports on TV all day, weather on TV all day, coupons replaced with groupons, internet, handheld mobile phones, talking and thinking in bullets and sound bites.   Newspapers will be gone soon.  

Then an there are the people, like in this thread, that will entirely abandon a media source because of a story they didn’t like.  Opinion columns and editorials are not valued anymore. Just read this thread and see “they do t agree with my politics, so I’ll follow something that does”.  

Edited by Bob in STL

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

It would be fun to watch them pull it out of the nosedive. But again it is a very bad circumstance to be in deep financial trouble and not even know what business you are in. They don't know what business they are in. 

They are in the advertising business. But people will not buy ads in the newspaper.

What this means is, that the ads in the paper are ineffective. If the ads were effective they would sell like hotcakes. 

Their focus needed to be to find out why their ads don't work for the customer and fix it. That's job one and they are still not doing that even as the ship is taking on water.

I'm not sure the advertising problem can be fixed.  Consolidation and the internet have eliminated a lot of local small business.  Look at your local broadcast news.  A few decades ago you would have shoe stores, Sears, grocery stores, appliance and electronics stores with most of those being locally owned small businesses.  Most of those local businesses have died off.  95 percent of advertising today for the local news is liability lawyers (who are based out of town in a number of circumstances), national insurance companies, and large volume car dealers.  The change is not devastating for the local news as they only need to several minutes and the ambulance chasing lawyers have filled in for the mom and pop furniture and appliance stores that have gone out of business.  A paper relies on a much larger advertiser volume which simply does not exist any more.  Two thirds of the car dealers that advertised in the local paper 30 years ago are no longer in business.  The advertising problem can not be fixed to a point to be like it was a generation ago.

45 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm not sure the advertising problem can be fixed.  Consolidation and the internet have eliminated a lot of local small business.  Look at your local broadcast news.  A few decades ago you would have shoe stores, Sears, grocery stores, appliance and electronics stores with most of those being locally owned small businesses.  Most of those local businesses have died off.  95 percent of advertising today for the local news is liability lawyers (who are based out of town in a number of circumstances), national insurance companies, and large volume car dealers.  The change is not devastating for the local news as they only need to several minutes and the ambulance chasing lawyers have filled in for the mom and pop furniture and appliance stores that have gone out of business.  A paper relies on a much larger advertiser volume which simply does not exist any more.  Two thirds of the car dealers that advertised in the local paper 30 years ago are no longer in business.  The advertising problem can not be fixed to a point to be like it was a generation ago.

I guess that I would add that the prospects for many area businesses look worse than they did a decade or more ago.  I sure would hate to be a new car dealer today receiving pressure from my manufacturer to build a new Taj Mahal  type building just to sell a new Ford or Chevy as many regional dealers have done.  The spending money is with people who are getting up there in years and simply will not be around or paying all their disposable income to the nursing home.  Leasing is the venue that gets most younger 10-12 dollar per hour wage earners into new vehicles.  If that goes away due to a glut of used inventory to sell off that would seriously hurt most new car dealers.   Similar situation for consumer product type dealers such as Harley-Davidson.  What younger person with a family who is blue collar can afford a 30K bike?

Edited by RochesterRob

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

All of that is probably true. But I think if they can not find a way to use their advantages in advertising they are all done. I think they should be focusing on that.

Put another way if I was CEO of TBN my word to the troops would be something like. "Headline 2 years from now. "Retailers are struggling across the nation, except in Western New York. Read why" And the why will be us ladies and gentlemen. Let's get to work."

This guy's letter was more like : "Cutbacks, And We gotta do something"

They are dead.

The advertisements are artless, and actually annoying. I had a paid subscription and the top 1/3 of the page was some big ad, for trucks or whatever, pushed in my face that I had to read around.

My thinking is they know who I am, my name, they know where I live, they know what I read. They could even know with little to no effort, where I buy my groceries. 

That is a tremendous advantage which they make no use of.

They push ads in my face in a random way. Like google does. I had typed in , you name it, teddy bear in my browser for some reason and then google will show me teddy bear ads for the next 2 weeks.

Meanwhile I was unable to search the ads in the buffalo news. I saw no interface to do that.

I want a mattress who has one on sale? No way to know.

A lawnmower? No way to know.  No way to search. 

I can't have a preference list that the paper would notify me of ad for items I am interested in. 

They could easily have an advertising experience tailored for me that I myself helped to set up.

What are the specials at my local supermarket this week? If I want to know, they come. I like a certain type of music. Any artists coming? I could be sure i would know automatically.

They could regain their position as an indispensable resource to the community. Such that you are at a disadvantage compared to your neighbors if you do not subscribe. And your life will take more time if you do not subscribe.

Instead they push random ads in my face.

Oh well.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

• SDS locked this topic