Buffalo News in financial trouble

58 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The trouble is the money has moved out to the burbs over the past 50 years where people may or may not take TBN.  

Link?   

People living in the burbs tend to better educated, more affluent and larger consumers of ideas/information than their older, less educated and poorer urban counterparts.    If anything, that geographic shift should be a plus for newspaper readership...

10 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

So newspapers stating everyone hates Trump and thinks he's a buffoon is out of touch ?

.....well they all did say Hillary would win in a landslide too.

Guess they are wrong about a lot.

:doh:

Well she did get 3 million more votes. 

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

The loss of Macy's and Bon Ton--two major ad accounts that went poof--put a major dent in their revenue. 

From personal experience I know Macy's is a bad customer.  They will order a lot stuff just before they declare bankruptcy and after bankruptcy they will have a big sale depreciating values of suppliers' items because it is hard to sell them to other vendors when Macy's is  selling for less than vendor sells for.

I am sure they pulled same stunt on Buffalo News (and all of the newspapers controlled by parent) so loss of Macy's is NOT as big as it sounds.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well she did get 3 million more votes. 

Damn that Electoral College !

Nothing wrong with California, New York and some major U.S. metros deciding for the rest of the country who should be their President.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

Nothing wrong with California, New York and some major U.S. metros deciding for the rest of the country who should be their President.

Well, for one thing, that's where 80% of Americans live. Urban areas. What do you have against majority rule? 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well, for one thing, that's where 80% of Americans live. Urban areas. What do you have against majority rule? 

Were you this concerned about the EC in 1992, 1996, 2008, and 2012?  The Founding Fathers saw the festering poverty of the large cities of Old Europe and the root causes therefore they considered it detrimental to let large cities have a majority of voting power.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Founding Fathers saw the festering poverty of the large cities of Old Europe and the root causes therefore they considered it detrimental to let large cities have a majority of voting power.  

The also saw the narrow world view of poorly educated rural farmers and thought the same thing....

On 5/15/2018 at 10:54 PM, clayboy54 said:

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving bunch! Enjoy the unemployment line, chumps.

this post reflects how low a person you are.

to go so far as to desire something bad to happen to a group of people and their families is as ignorant as ignorant gets.

and then to have two people actually like it.

i see we've reached the shallow end of the pool here.

jw

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

22 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

Because it' more in league with mob rule.

Lol! Effin' brilliant.  Yes, elections won by the majority are tantamount to tyranny!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

If you PM me your address, I will mail you a mood coloring book. It's on me; you can take it to your crying room.

Hey, I'm not the one crying about it. Just pointing out the fact. If anyone is still crying about it, it's the Orange Emporer.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:50 PM, billsfan1960 said:

When I lived in Buffalo, my paper of choice was the Courier Express, the writes were better along with the sports coverage in my opinion. Phil Randall (I think) was a great spots writer.

Rinallo?

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Were you this concerned about the EC in 1992, 1996, 2008, and 2012?  The Founding Fathers saw the festering poverty of the large cities of Old Europe and the root causes therefore they considered it detrimental to let large cities have a majority of voting power.  

Nice try. Actually the Electoral College was supposed to be a stop gap against the public voting for someone who was entirely unqualified for the presidency.  Obviously that failed.

21 hours ago, Lurker said:

Link?   

People living in the burbs tend to better educated, more affluent and larger consumers of ideas/information than their older, less educated and poorer urban counterparts.    If anything, that geographic shift should be a plus for newspaper readership...

It would be a plus but TBN spends an inordinate amount of its effort being the PR arm of Byron Brown and the City. TBN rarely covers anything in any depth in the suburbs, outside of Amherst. Since the suburbs are balkanized into very small geographies, the TBN has them thinly covered but when taken on the whole, when you write off a lot of small suburbs as a collective, that's hundreds of thousands of potential readers.

I'll continue to say it. Our media here sucks. And the issue specifically with the TBN is that is full of loud mouth columnists who spend more time criticizing everything but lack the expertise to be taken serious and never offer a solution, whether it's the people cover govt or sports. 

And since TBN has no block their website when I use AdBlocker, I don't even see the front page anymore. So I wasn't paying for it before but they could count my visits as traffic for ad sales, not they've lost that. In the end, I was reading TBN less and less. As someone mentioned, it has become boosterism, PR, and supporting/promoting conspicuous consumption. It no longer actually resembles a news agency and I won't apologize for not shedding a tear when it suffers anymore than I did when fill in the blank company fails. Everyone seems to love competition and creative destruction. This is a front row seat to that process. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Nice try. Actually the Electoral College was supposed to be a stop gap against the public voting for someone who was entirely unqualified for the presidency.  Obviously that failed.

And how was this unqualified person supposed to be stopped?  By magic?  Implementing the electoral college was the best preventative measure for under-qualified individuals getting elected as they could not simply spout rhetoric to appeal to the uneducated masses which more often than not lived in the city prior to mass public education which occurred in the 19th Century.  So you more or less are supporting my point.  Big city mob rule = demagogue ruler.  By the way that (EC) succeeded when a certain former First Lady did not get elected whose greatest achievement as US Senator was to get a section of highway in WNY named after a great man in Tim Russert oddly enough.  Even her health care ideas which liberals fawned over was nothing more than a rehash of 1960's and early 1970's Democratic Party ideas.

35 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

And how was this unqualified person supposed to be stopped?  By magic?  Implementing the electoral college was the best preventative measure for under-qualified individuals getting elected as they could not simply spout rhetoric to appeal to the uneducated masses which more often than not lived in the city prior to mass public education which occurred in the 19th Century.  So you more or less are supporting my point.  Big city mob rule = demagogue ruler.  By the way that (EC) succeeded when a certain former First Lady did not get elected whose greatest achievement as US Senator was to get a section of highway in WNY named after a great man in Tim Russert oddly enough.  Even her health care ideas which liberals fawned over was nothing more than a rehash of 1960's and early 1970's Democratic Party ideas.

Well I'm sure you must be proud of how the current administration is doing fighting graft and corruption.

Also, as a reminder, that former first lady was also a senator and a secretary of state. I know, it's not much. Certainly nothing like being a game show host and crooked developer.

One last thing, just so I'm clear. Is it only mob rule when the side you support loses?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

7 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

So much for one man, one vote. I guess some votes are worth more than others in our "democracy."

Edited by vincec
  • Thank you (+1) 1