Buffalo News in financial trouble

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That technology could affect all kinds of websites. Turn the internet into a toll road. Maybe that's not such a good idea.

But that is how the big corporations would like for it to be, for sure.

One of the fundamental problems with any  of this, is the distinct perception that many 'net users have, from over the years, where they believe they have been ripped off by corporations, something which has been blatantly obvious with the differences in pricing of multimedia items, e.g. cds, dvds, blurays, where there have been, and often still are, disparities of pricing that simply aren't justifiable. The same thing with an awful lot of technology, which at a component level is largely sourced from a few places, yet again, the pricing is not equitable throughout the world market.

I think the idea of micro payments would have a good degree of merit, and tbh, bigger news outlets might well be able to go down that route, but it's taken  long time for them to become acceptable to many people, and it's only through having deep pockets that the music biz, has actually eventually, stumbled upon a more viable model. Even though a lot of the 'local' news outlets are now owned  as part of 'portfolio' type groups, by larger corps, I don't see the will to stick with loss making until they can come up with a viable model for themselves.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:07 PM, Captain_Quint said:

I can't believe that they still list 16 pages of TV listings for the week. That's insanity in 2018. 

I actually look at the TV Topics every Sunday.  For one thing.  I look at the premium movie channels on the bottom of the listings to see what new movies they are showing..................I have searched online to find something like that.  The best I can see is if you go to HBO's site and look in there, then Showtime, etc. 

Do you, or anyone, know where this info is all in one place, like in TV Topics?

53 minutes ago, bbb said:

I actually look at the TV Topics every Sunday.  For one thing.  I look at the premium movie channels on the bottom of the listings to see what new movies they are showing..................I have searched online to find something like that.  The best I can see is if you go to HBO's site and look in there, then Showtime, etc. 

Do you, or anyone, know where this info is all in one place, like in TV Topics?

Just press 'Guide' on your remote control. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Captain_Quint said:

Just press 'Guide' on your remote control. 

And, then scroll thru all those channels to see if there's movies that I'm interested in?  As opposed to taking a minute to look at the 4-5 lines at the bottom of the page in TV Topics?

Comcast has really good search features too. Mine is voice controlled, so you hit a button, say "Fraggle Rock", and it brings up all the different options to watch or record Fraggle Rock. I think Time Warner has that feature too. 

On 5/16/2018 at 1:34 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

the cost of one crappy beer per month.

Hello good sir. Please cease and desist from disparaging thy golden brew. Even a PBR is good if its cold.

Thank you 

..print media has been dying a slow death for years.....I'd bet the only diehard "delivered to my door" subscribers are oldtimers who do not use a computer and want to read the paper with their morning coffee....in the 24/7/365 real time news, print copy is probably printed up at 11PM and delivered to your door by 6AM with already stale news.....my late wife religiously delivered hard copy door to door for 15 years and we watched subscriptions decline each year....many switched to SUNDAYS ONLY just for ads and coupons....you can get enough info locally as far as headlines without an on-line subscription.....time becomes the essence and people won't subscribe on-line for in depth reading anymore IMO....

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

I think Americans have been dumped down by smart phones, internet, etc. 

I see some of the workers at job and wonder how they got job other than they are contractors and the contracting companies hire inexpensive workers from home country.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Comcast has really good search features too. Mine is voice controlled, so you hit a button, say "Fraggle Rock", and it brings up all the different options to watch or record Fraggle Rock. I think Time Warner has that feature too. 

The problem is basically what I'm looking for is recent Oscar nominee movies (for the major awards).  There's no real way to search that on the TV.  I look at TV Topics, and for example, last week, I see Dunkirk is premiering on HBO.  So, I go right to the DVR. 

30 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Maybe the Pegulas should buy them out. They might get some good press for the Bills once in a while. ?

Haha.  They should buy The News.  Fire Sully and Bucky.  Then, sell The News! 

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

America moves more toward a typical S. American bifurcated society every day.  

In due course, we will have two segments to our population: monied/educated driving BMWs making up a small % of the population, and then everyone else, living paycheck to paycheck and not being able to read very well.

Ancient Rome was structured similarly.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2018 at 8:56 PM, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

This level of financial acumen belongs in the Business section of The Buffalo News!

Yes, i was thinking the same thing, didn't even bother to respond to it, not worth it trying to educate people.

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think Americans have been dumped down by smart phones, internet, etc. 

I see some of the workers at job and wonder how they got job other than they are contractors and the contracting companies hire inexpensive workers from home country.

Anyone note the irony here?

6 hours ago, bbb said:

The problem is basically what I'm looking for is recent Oscar nominee movies (for the major awards).  There's no real way to search that on the TV.  I look at TV Topics, and for example, last week, I see Dunkirk is premiering on HBO.  So, I go right to the DVR. 

If I buy you a subscription to TV Guide, can we stop talking about this?