Buffalo News in financial trouble

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Don't be so glum.  The kiddie corps 'journalists' at WIVB will be glad to tell you where to get Buffalo's Best Shoe Shine.

That is so true, local news stations shows are mostly superfluous.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I find it funny that a company owned by Warren Buffett would be in financial trouble. The Oligarch worth $75 Billion should stop taking so much money out of the paper and find a way to lower operating costs by taking less money back to Omaha.

Print media is a dying entity.   It is destined to go the same way as the pager and the walkman.    Trying to keep it alive because of some nostalgic draw is as foolish and trying to maintain steam powered transportation.

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Print newspapers aren't dying because of high operating costs.  Declining revenues in print and classified ads are killing them.  Buffet said he thinks only the NY Times and Wall Street Journal will survive in the long run.    And unfortunately Jerry Sullivan still remains alive, like an old scarred cockroach. 

The Washington Post will survive. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/washington-post-still-plays-catch-gaining-times-n833236

Social. Less than a quarter of digital readers come in through the home screen. If you want people to see your story, build a large social following.

Interaction. One of the keys to a strong social following? Interact with users. We can’t just be a megaphone.

Ah, I get it now. That is why guys like Mike Harrington are so thin skinned & argumentative with everyone on twitter. He is "interacting" with users.... lol. 

Just now, Ifartalot said:

It is sad,  but the BN is getting their comeuppance partly due to the hard leans of so many of their reporters.

With constant Trump bashing by Zremski, Turner & Zyglis, and Sullivan, Gleason & Harrington tearing down the Pegulas, many cancelled their subscription. 

I have zero issue with Zremski. I actually think he's quite good.

But Bucky + Sully + Harrington drive me mad. They just seem way too jaded by all the years of losing. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

But Bucky + Sully + Harrington drive me mad. They just seem way too jaded by all the years of losing. 

You mean like 95% of Sabres and Bills fans have been over that same time period?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

if they fire Bucky and Jerry and replace them with some balanced reporters without an ax to constantly grind I wil buy a subscription

I told others recently that the BN was hurting they didn't believe it to be true, but there entire online model screams money issues

I hate both guys but one clarification.  They're columnists, not reporters.    Their job is to stir the pot, attract eyeballs (which they do, much like the hosts at 'GR) and generally get people talking about them.   

But like proverbial trees falling in the woods, if enough people stop reading/clicking their work product, they become boat anchors on the bottom line... 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

They're columnists, not reporters.    Their job is to stir the pot, attract eyeballs (which they do, much like the hosts at 'GR) and generally get people talking about them.   

This goes over the head of so many here, that it's not even worth arguing about any more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Agreed on Zremski.   He's top notch and actually too good for the Snooze, IMO.     

The other guys are just playing to the 'drunks on a barstool' / lowest common denominator contingent... 

• Like (+1) 1

Best! News! Ever! And I am sure they'll blame something not of their doing but in reality, people see it as a corporate profit center for a billionaire and one that only publishes fluff pieces kissing the collective azz of every politician and developer in WNY and basically tell everyone how awesome WNY is, when it's in fact dying a slow, 60+ year death. People wnt good reporting, want people in govt held accountable. Instead it's turned into Byron Brown's personal media empire. Sean McDermott has held more press conferences in his time here that Brown has in his what, 4 terms? They don't hold him to anything. Meanwhile the sports section is tougher on sports figures than the news is on any politician. Funny how that works. 

So today is an awesome day!!!! Love it, love it, love it.

I hope that paper dies off and The Public fills the void and grows.

2 minutes ago, zonabb said:

basically tell everyone how awesome WNY is, when it's in fact dying a slow, 60+ year death.

You must be fun at parties.    That is, if anyone would invite you to one...

Kind of hard to feel bad for them and their geocities online presence. I've seen more intuitive webpage designs in high school newspapers. They doggedly refuse to get rid of writers people hate and are clinging to a business model that hasn't been successful since the 80s. 

13 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

They doggedly refuse to get rid of writers people hate 

The Guild (union) contract locks that in, unfortunately.    Buyouts or retirements are the only way to trim the deadwood.   I expect to see a few on the sports desk in this latest round of cost cutting...

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

if they fire Bucky and Jerry and replace them with some balanced reporters without an ax to constantly grind I wil buy a subscription

I told others recently that the BN was hurting they didn't believe it to be true, but there entire online model screams money issues

Bucky and Jerry are also my top reasons for not subscribing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bucky and Jerry are also my top reasons for not subscribing.

I agree and from what I read its a large amount of people

You'd think the braintrust at BN could figure out this on their own

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

I agree and from what I read its a large amount of people

You'd think the braintrust at BN could figure out this on their own

I suspect those two are protected by the union.

• SDS locked this topic