Buffalo News in financial trouble

6 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

I will miss Jerry Sullivan's positive outlook on the Buffalo Bills

Another example of CTE?

29 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I think you mean Phil Ranallo.

Very funny guy. Used to write the "What's up Harry" sports column.

His bet stuff was Monday mornings after any Bills game.

Delivered that paper for three years.

Sullivan isn't fit to have emptied Ranallo's or Weller's or Felser's wastepaper baskets.

2 hours ago, ALF said:

I've always had a subscription to the BN , might be time for them to go all online for a cheaper price and up to the minute news.

To the [BN]competent, the up to the minute news means more photos of drunks leering for the camera.

13 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

If they listened to the people over the years and stopped running all the good talent out the door they would be fine. They did it to themselves. 

It's their first negative quarter in the last 40, which is pretty remarkable given the landscape. The News is known as a well run paper, relatively speaking. The headwinds are just so strong now.

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I can't remember the last time I opened a newspaper. 

I open and read at least one every day (NYT and occasionally others). It remains a better way to read the news (in my opinion) because you are visually more likely to see and read stories that are not in your own personal wheelhouse. I am firmly convinced that I'm a more informed person because of print newspapers. Reading things digitally, is fine, but it's not the same.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 7

I'd much rather lose 2 of the 3 local TV newcasts rather than the BN.  Talk about useless.  Weather and sports updates that you can get online 24x7, local crime and fire stories, a couple of fluff pieces, and the occasional investigative piece.  This is a media that should be reported as dying.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I find it funny that a company owned by Warren Buffett would be in financial trouble. The Oligarch worth $75 Billion should stop taking so much money out of the paper and find a way to lower operating costs by taking less money back to Omaha.

Print newspapers aren't dying because of high operating costs.  Declining revenues in print and classified ads are killing them.  Buffet said he thinks only the NY Times and Wall Street Journal will survive in the long run.    And unfortunately Jerry Sullivan still remains alive, like an old scarred cockroach. 

12 hours ago, Augie said:

What’s a newspaper?   

Exactly, I suspect all physical print media is hurting.  I know my company doesn't run any ads or coupons in physical print any more, it's all digital now.  And reading online is easier, faster, and doesn't kill any trees.  I'm a little surprised any physical newspapers still exist.

It's the first quarterly loss in 10 years. While that's not bad by average business standards, it is bad for a Warren Buffett owned business.

My guess: If they don't turn it around soon, it will be digital only everyday except Sunday.

3 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Thank you. Regardless of the salty takes Sully et al have had over the years - most of which warranted, frankly - these are still people with families. At the end of the day, this isn't the fault of the reporters per se, but that of the execs and digital people that ever really made TBN that enticing from a design standpoint. The site is clunky and not programmed well by an editor. They probably could go use a wordpress theme and have a better site in a week. 

My take on Jerry is of a divorced alcoholic. Is he a family man?

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

if they fire Bucky and Jerry and replace them with some balanced reporters without an ax to constantly grind I wil buy a subscription

I told others recently that the BN was hurting they didn't believe it to be true, but there entire online model screams money issues

• Like (+1) 2

I feel bad for those at the Buffalo News who will likely lose a job, as the inevitable down-slide of the newspaper industry as we know it continues.

As for some of the sports writers there, I would like to feel for them, but when guys like Sullivan act like pompous a-holes, it's hard to sympathize.

Let this be a lesson to EVERYONE: No matter what you do for a living in life, remember work is temporary. We are all replaceable. Don't let it get to your head.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Now people will have NO CHOICE but to get their news from local am radio stations.    The future is yours Promo!

there is a fork in this road, one bares right an dleads to the AM radio, the other leads left and heads ot the internet

Kind of funny to think AM radio is the answer to the BN news going TU because most everyone complains about WGR as much as BN in regards to sports news...

Serious question - which of the following is a better source of Bills news: The Buffalo News or YoloInOhio and 26CornerBlitz?

That's your answer on why TBN is irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

if they fire Bucky and Jerry and replace them with some balanced reporters without an ax to constantly grind I wil buy a subscription

I told others recently that the BN was hurting they didn't believe it to be true, but there entire online model screams money issues

Bucky and Jerry are both pretty rough. Once in a great while, Jerry writes something decent. I don't think anyone disagrees that the man is a talented writer, it's the non-stop negativity that turns people off to reading his stuff. What's worse is the influence they've had on Jay Skurski. After Tyler Dunne left (their best guy behind Tim Graham) I was like, "Eh, at least Skurski is still there" but more and more his stuff resembles Bucky and Jerry. 

I thought it was obvious they weren't doing good when an outlet like Bleacher Report is able to offer one of your better writers a whole lot more. Bleacher Report has grown into a reputable source but back in the day, it was pretty rough and barely anyone took them seriously.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It is sad,  but the BN is getting their comeuppance partly due to the hard leans of so many of their reporters.

With constant Trump bashing by Zremski, Turner & Zyglis, and Sullivan, Gleason & Harrington tearing down the Pegulas, many cancelled their subscription. 

Edited by Ifartalot

1 minute ago, Ifartalot said:

It is sad,  but the BN's is getting their comeuppance for the hard leans of so many of their reporters.

Constant Trump bashing by Zremski, Turner and Zyglis, along with Sullivan, Gleason and Harrington tearing down the Pegulas, has soured many locals to their paper. 

Their comeuppance shall be had!!!