The difference in making the playoffs this year was...

2 hours ago, BakersBills said:

Referees....

had to say it, looks at the 17 year drought and this year.

The main difference is we got the breaks.

The fumble in ATL, 100% incomplete pass any other year imo. Won them that game.

The Von Miller Penalty, really changed that game as well. Never happened in the drought.

The only really terrible calls that I saw was the Benjamin TD, Gronk hit, and the OPI against the jags. 

looking back during the past few seasons we could have easily won 2-3 more games just based off terrible calls that went the other way.

Especially rex's first year when we were robbed of 2 tds against the giants and the ridiculous PI in london vs the JAGS. those two games put us in.

I dont think the NFL really liked Rex as he had terrible luck with calls. The NFL has never been a fan of Big personalities imo.

Nope.  The Ryan fumble was a fumble.  He lost control of the ball and batted it forward.  And the Bills were leading the Broncos by 7 when the Von Miller penalty occurred and Trevor Siemian was horrible. 

• Like (+1) 3

If I was a rich guy would my trophy wife care how I got rich?  She wouldn't care if I won the lottery or earned it as long as the money is in the bank. The Bills made the playoffs and I loved it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The very easy schedule, and the lucky way that even when we played the few good teams we caught them in slumps.

And that we never beat ourselves under this regime, something that always happened in past years.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

The law of averages. The Bills were 9-7 at least two other times during the playoff drought and things didn't fall their way. This time , it did. Calls by officials in individual games is far too specific. It wasn't about how the Bills amassed their 9 wins, but rather about what went on with the rest of the AFC around them. Those occurrences decided which teams advanced to the postseason and which stayed home. Perhaps the 2017 team managed the 9-7 season with less talent than the '04 and '14 teams had, but 9-7 is still 9-7. 

3 hours ago, BakersBills said:

Referees....

had to say it, looks at the 17 year drought and this year.

The main difference is we got the breaks.

The fumble in ATL, 100% incomplete pass any other year imo. Won them that game.

The Von Miller Penalty, really changed that game as well. Never happened in the drought.

The only really terrible calls that I saw was the Benjamin TD, Gronk hit, and the OPI against the jags. 

looking back during the past few seasons we could have easily won 2-3 more games just based off terrible calls that went the other way.

Especially rex's first year when we were robbed of 2 tds against the giants and the ridiculous PI in london vs the JAGS. those two games put us in.

I dont think the NFL really liked Rex as he had terrible luck with calls. The NFL has never been a fan of Big personalities imo. 

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong about this.  You conveniently leave out the games we got screwed by the refs too.  What you just described is what happens every single year...we get some calls and we get some BS calls against us.  Its the NFL.  

That is not why we made the playoffs.  We made the playoffs because we won 9 games and lost 7 and got in on a tie breaker.  BAD calls contributed to the 7 losses, just like favorable call contributed the 9 wins.  You cant count one and not the other in the impact.  

And if anyone wanted to really simplify why we made the playoffs...it comes down to:  Better Defense.  Better Balance.  Better Kicker.  Better Coaching.  Better Culture.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

In a 4 way tie there is no way to do head to head unless each team has played each other. The Chargers beating us and the Titans shouldn't place them above the Ravens. The Ravens didn't play anyone so where would they be placed?

The Chargers lost out because they had a worse conference record. The Bills have lost out similarly in the past. 

I understand the reasoning.  We were very fortunate.for once.  Out of curiosity, when has this happened to the Bills in the past?

D E F E N S E

You cannot give up over 23  ppg and win.  Pats never give up more than 20.  We were leading the league in scoring defense for the first 5 weeks and until we traded Dareous were shutting everyone down.  The offense clearly suffered under Dennison and with no real recievers to speak of but with a good defense managed to eek out 9 wins. 

Just to add to that, Rex and his defense gave up 25 or more in half their games.  Half.  With the offense playing the way it did if that defense had done anything close to what McDermott did they would have made the playoffs easily.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Coaching.

It's obvious. 

The roster was WORSE than it was under Rex Ryan. Considerably so, in some areas. But they still won 9 games and made the playoffs. Why? Coaching. McDermott had his men prepared, scheme sound, and fundamentally sound. They gave up a lot of yardage, but they did not (with the exception of the mid-season losing streak) give up a lot of points. And oh, about that losing streak. How many times have we seen past Bills teams start out hot, enter a losing streak like that mid season, and completely go off the rails? Not this team. They were resilient, mentally tough, and won the games they needed to win to put themselves in position for the Andy Dalton miracle. The bounceback started in ARROWHEAD, of all places, against a Chiefs team that made the playoffs. Again, how many must-win November games have we lost to the Chiefs in the past decade? Not this Bills team.

I never, ever accept "bad refereeing" or injuries as excuses. Both happen all over the NFL, every single year. The Bills made it because they understood their schemes, executed them well enough to win 9 games, and earned it....and because Andy Dalton had a horseshoe in his ass.

Coaching.

Preach.

Because...faith.

4 hours ago, Augie said:

.....I thought the answer would be more wins. 

Calls go for and against you every game. Better teams find ways to take advantage of the good calls, and overcome the bad calls. 

The better team doesn't always win and calls do determine the outcome of some games. 

Luck.   But don't feel guilty, after 17 years it was their turn.

They got the right bounces

They got the right calls

They got a miracle TD from the Bengals

They got a log-jam of teams at 9-7 and the right tie-breakers

13 minutes ago, The Red King said:

You mean like the Saints and Chargers?  ?

Yup.  And there were 2 teams who were arguably good and in slumps: the Falcons and Chiefs.  The Bills have played the Chiefs tough every year they've faced them though and the Falcons were in a post-SB-choke funk. 

11 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

this year definitely seemed like we got a lot of calls and quite a few bounces to go our way. 

yes, but there is always a bit of luck involved. and for the past 17 years, i have felt like this team was friggin' cursed.

There's no need for a curse when you hire bad GM after bad GM for so many years.