The difference in making the playoffs this year was...

Referees....

had to say it, looks at the 17 year drought and this year.

The main difference is we got the breaks.

The fumble in ATL, 100% incomplete pass any other year imo. Won them that game.

The Von Miller Penalty, really changed that game as well. Never happened in the drought.

The only really terrible calls that I saw was the Benjamin TD, Gronk hit, and the OPI against the jags. 

looking back during the past few seasons we could have easily won 2-3 more games just based off terrible calls that went the other way.

Especially rex's first year when we were robbed of 2 tds against the giants and the ridiculous PI in london vs the JAGS. those two games put us in.

I dont think the NFL really liked Rex as he had terrible luck with calls. The NFL has never been a fan of Big personalities imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

.....I thought the answer would be more wins. 

Calls go for and against you every game. Better teams find ways to take advantage of the good calls, and overcome the bad calls. 

• Like (+1) 1

this year definitely seemed like we got a lot of calls and quite a few bounces to go our way. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

.....I thought the answer would be more wins. 

Calls go for and against you every game. Better teams find ways to take advantage of the good calls, and overcome the bad calls. 

yes, but there is always a bit of luck involved. and for the past 17 years, i have felt like this team was friggin' cursed.

42 minutes ago, BakersBills said:

Referees....

The Von Miller Penalty, really changed that game as well. Never happened in the drought.

The only really terrible calls that I saw was the Benjamin TD, Gronk hit, and the OPI against the jags. 

looking back during the past few seasons we could have easily won 2-3 more games just based off terrible calls that went the other way.

Especially rex's first year when we were robbed of 2 tds against the giants and the ridiculous PI in london vs the JAGS. those two games put us in.

I dont think the NFL really liked Rex as he had terrible luck with calls. The NFL has never been a fan of Big personalities imo. 

You are 100% wrong about the Falcons call... the ball was knocked out of his hand and he tried shoveling it forward 

it was not a forward pass by the rules because the ball was knocked loose and then shoveled forward 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BakersBills said:

Referees....

The Von Miller penalty was a big break for sure, made it that much easier to close the game out, but game changer? As I recall there were some questionable calls against the Bills in the first half. Siemien's interceptions were the game changers that day IMO.

The difference last year was getting in with only 9 wins. Right off the bat that takes some degree of good fortune. And it was capped off by Dalton to Boyd.

Coaching.

It's obvious. 

The roster was WORSE than it was under Rex Ryan. Considerably so, in some areas. But they still won 9 games and made the playoffs. Why? Coaching. McDermott had his men prepared, scheme sound, and fundamentally sound. They gave up a lot of yardage, but they did not (with the exception of the mid-season losing streak) give up a lot of points. And oh, about that losing streak. How many times have we seen past Bills teams start out hot, enter a losing streak like that mid season, and completely go off the rails? Not this team. They were resilient, mentally tough, and won the games they needed to win to put themselves in position for the Andy Dalton miracle. The bounceback started in ARROWHEAD, of all places, against a Chiefs team that made the playoffs. Again, how many must-win November games have we lost to the Chiefs in the past decade? Not this Bills team.

I never, ever accept "bad refereeing" or injuries as excuses. Both happen all over the NFL, every single year. The Bills made it because they understood their schemes, executed them well enough to win 9 games, and earned it....and because Andy Dalton had a horseshoe in his ass.

Coaching.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 hour ago, BakersBills said:

So they had two calls go their way ( debatable) and three go against them...

If I can only say one thing, I'll say it was the difference in culture that McDermott installed in 2017...

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

The NFL's amazing three way tiebreak system where we get in with the same record over a team that beat us.

I'd also add on that two point conversion that called back against the Colts because of an offensive pass interference (pick).  That's not always called.

Edited by Doc Brown

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The NFL's amazing three way tiebreak system where we get in with the same record over a team that beat us.

I'd also add on that two point conversion that called back against the Colts because of an offensive pass interference (pick).  That's not always called.

In a 4 way tie there is no way to do head to head unless each team has played each other. The Chargers beating us and the Titans shouldn't place them above the Ravens. The Ravens didn't play anyone so where would they be placed?

The Chargers lost out because they had a worse conference record. The Bills have lost out similarly in the past. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It’s not always called becuz in that case it was 100% the wrong call. It happened within a yd of the LOS. It was very very legal. too bad too sad for the colts though. For every one of those the bills have gotten in their favor they’ve gotten 10 calls agains them over the last 17 years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

That's a really narrow way to look at things. i think it came down to coaching and finally getting the right culture in place. I feel like guy's were held more accountable this year and everyone was put on notice that if you didn't perform you were expendable. High round draft picks in their athletic prime were shipped off because they didn't fit the vision the F/O had (Darby, Watkins) and we still came together. That is what can make a marginal team a playoff team and a good team a contender, right now we are the former but hopefully within the next couple years we will be contending, regardless it's nice to see this team trending in the right direction. Go Bills, hope everyone is enjoying their Tuesday night.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Coaching.

It's obvious. 

The roster was WORSE than it was under Rex Ryan. Considerably so, in some areas. But they still won 9 games and made the playoffs. Why? Coaching. McDermott had his men prepared, scheme sound, and fundamentally sound. They gave up a lot of yardage, but they did not (with the exception of the mid-season losing streak) give up a lot of points. And oh, about that losing streak. How many times have we seen past Bills teams start out hot, enter a losing streak like that mid season, and completely go off the rails? Not this team. They were resilient, mentally tough, and won the games they needed to win to put themselves in position for the Andy Dalton miracle. The bounceback started in ARROWHEAD, of all places, against a Chiefs team that made the playoffs. Again, how many must-win November games have we lost to the Chiefs in the past decade? Not this Bills team.

I never, ever accept "bad refereeing" or injuries as excuses. Both happen all over the NFL, every single year. The Bills made it because they understood their schemes, executed them well enough to win 9 games, and earned it....and because Andy Dalton had a horseshoe in his ass.

Coaching.

say it louder for the people in the back

• Like (+1) 1