DNA test. I’m going to do it

mead107

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

My sister had it done.  Lot of English and Scandinavian 

I want  to get it done.  

Have you had it done? 

I thought we may have talked about this before. 

Ummm. Unless you are adopted...

Do you expect different results?

All 4 of my grandparents came from Sicily and my wife is Scottish born.  

No mysteries here.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Ancestry 

8 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Not yet.

Which system are you using?

38 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Ummm. Unless you are adopted...

Do you expect different results?

No mysteries here.  

Could be the milk man was my dad 

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, mead107 said:

My sister had it done.  Lot of English and Scandinavian 

I want  to get it done.  

Have you had it done? 

I thought we may have talked about this before. 

Good luck.  They're not easy...don't just cram the night before, start studying now.  Hope you pass.

(On a more serious note: the commercial versions are notoriously unreliable.  Don't take it too seriously.)

53 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No mysteries here.  

Yeah, because in the history of the world races and cultures never intermixed on the biggest island located smack-dab in the middle of the Mediterranean.  :lol:

You're probably got Berber and Iranian ancestors and don't even know it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Good luck.  They're not easy...don't just cram the night before, start studying now.  Hope you pass.

(On a more serious note: the commercial versions are notoriously unreliable.  Don't take it too seriously.)

Who did you use? 

Sorry, not interested in voluntarily entering my DNA into massive database

There's a few gaps in my "ancestry".  Mom wasn't close to her side of the family, but I know the basics.  Not much is known about my Dad's mother's part of the family.  But I don't really care

Kinda reminds me of a cousin that tries to get me to join some group of descendants of Mayflower survivors.  But meh, I wasn't on the boat so I don't care

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Just FYI:

https://gizmodo.com/what-dna-testing-companies-terrifying-privacy-policies-1819158337

Plenty more articles on this out there.  I was thinking about doing it, but now I'm pretty sure I will not unless it can be done somehow with a blind escrow or something.

I was told that the best way to get tested is to have a friend with very different background (very hard to be related) to submit for you.  One friend had it done that way and was surprised with results for it appears that some of the returned data appeared to be influenced by submitter not donor so it is possible that all of the results are not "genetic" but research.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

I was told that the best way to get tested is to have a friend with very different background (very hard to be related) to submit for you.  One friend had it done that way and was surprised with results for it appears that some of the returned data appeared to be influenced by submitter not donor so it is possible that all of the results are not "genetic" but research.

Well, that would be disappointing. But not too surprising.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That would make an interesting research project.

Get a white guy from the north east, a black guy from the south, an Hispanic from Texas, a Puerto Rican, and a white guy from California.  Mix up the samples and see if the results line up

3 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Well, that would be disappointing. But not too surprising.

In this case the submitter was black and the donor was Korean but test stated ancestry from several places in sub saharan Africa and Central/South America.  There were several other ancestry bits but NONE from East Asia.

So my cousins daughter did this and got a hit they traced back to a baby given up for adoption in 1968.......... Ended up as my sisters no one knew about. I didn't believe it. Googled the guys picture. Holy Cow like looking in a mirror. Still haven't got in touch with the guy. I should. Haven't sees sis in 12 years