Chad Kelly in contention to be Broncos backup

Don't know who Albright is but his tweet has no context.  For a series? For this practice? For the entire training camp?  There have been some good reports as well so i suspect it may be all about today's practice.  It's tough to know until they actually play some football even if it's only the preseason type.

On 5/15/2018 at 12:47 PM, Mountain Man said:

I still don't understand the Broncos. Trevor Siemian was better than of their current QBs and they got rid. They paid a journeyman QB silly money after he had 1 good season in a decade of terrible ones, yet somehow they are being praised. I absolutely expect them to be drafting top 3 in 2019. Joseph is a terrible coach who has never managed to create a good defense. They are going to be a disaster this season.

Yo all Case Keenum needed was an okay offense and an absence of Jeff Fisher. So if the Broncos don't hire Fisher, then they're doing it alright.

One of my favorite storylines from last year: 3 quarterbacks from the NFC's best offenses had breakout play after last starting under Fisher ? it's priceless

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I remember there were a LOT of people banging the table hard for this kid (Lynch) over on the old BBMB, and many were quite angry when the Bills passed on him after he “fell into their laps”. There were many cries of “the same old Bills, passing on another franchise QB...”.   lol 

Was it the same at TBD? I only lurked around here at that time.

Edited by BillsFan4

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

I remember there were a LOT of people banging the table hard for this kid (Lynch) over on the old BBMB, and many were quite angry when the Bills passed on him after he “fell into their laps”. There were many cries of “the same old Bills, paaaing on franchise QBs...”.   lol 

Was it the same at TBD? I only lurked around here at that time.

The was indeed a band of CK fans here at TSW.  They were all too ready to overlook the major character flaws that McDermott and Beane avoid like the plague.   If he had a last name other than Kelly no way there would have been that much clamoring for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Will Chad continue to jump on the field and start fights with opposing players?

i have it, on good authority, that Chad was signed by the Broncos as a personal favor after a phone call from Uncle Jim to John Elway.

IMHO, he will amount to nothing in the NFL.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The was indeed a band of CK fans here at TSW.  They were all too ready to overlook the major character flaws that McDermott and Beane avoid like the plague.   If he had a last name other than Kelly no way there would have been that much clamoring for him. 

Oops, my bad. I should have been more clear that I meant Paxton Lynch. 

Thanks for answering though. 

On May 15, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Like A Mofo said:

If Chad's last name is Collins, or Adams, or whatever, this thread does NOT exist.

This is very true and may have contributed to Chad NOT ending up with the Bills.  Uncle Jim may have been around for advice but there may have been too much pressure playing for the same team. 

I suspect most of the "if his last name weren't Kelly" crowd are not from WNY.  Because if he were from anywhere else, no one would be paying attention either.  As a matter of fact, if he had stayed at Red Lion, not many would have followed his collegiate career either.   But he came back, did well at SJCI, became a 4* recruit to Clemson, and got himself in one mess after another, all of which made the local news because his last name is Kelly.

I did not want him on the Bills, too much politics even if he behaved himself.  I do think he will have an NFL career because he can play the game at warp speed and seems to want it bad enough to keep out of trouble.   When the practice games start, I think he will show exactly that.  A talented and ultra competitive playmaker that will do whatever it takes to succeed.    

I, for one, would think poorly of a person who would sit and watch his brother get buried under a swarm of hostility because taking action would be a bad career move.  He did well at Ole Miss and their fans seem to think highly of him.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/15/2018 at 10:47 AM, Mountain Man said:

I still don't understand the Broncos. Trevor Siemian was better than of their current QBs and they got rid. They paid a journeyman QB silly money after he had 1 good season in a decade of terrible ones, yet somehow they are being praised. I absolutely expect them to be drafting top 3 in 2019. Joseph is a terrible coach who has never managed to create a good defense. They are going to be a disaster this season.

Their biggest problem is that they won the Super Bowl with terrible QB play, so they think they can replicate it with a good overall team and solid QB play.  Manning and Brock were both among the worst passers in the NFL that year in the regular season.  Manning put up the worst winning QB performance in NFL history.  They still won due to a good run game, and great D.  

So I think Elway feels the team can still compete if they can just not be awful at QB and believe Keenum can be decent to solid and they can win games with him to try and make another push before the window closes as the roster continues to age and turnover in other places.  

I was certain all off season they would NOT take a QB once they signed Keenum.  Although, I felt they should draft one, I just was confident they were not for the reasons I stated above...Elway believes he can win with a guy like Keenum given they won with poor QB play in their most recent SB title season.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:03 PM, Mountain Man said:

You aren't getting Minnesota's offense though. You are getting an overated re-tread OC, worse receivers, a much worse O line and no run game. Add that to the career year Keenum had. Is that a recipe for a Keenum repeat?

Well, I'd take Pat Shurmer over Bill Musgrave myself, but he did have Oakland looking pretty good before Del Rio gave him the heave-ho

Kelly is not much different than a rookie at this point, so I am sure he will have some ups and downs.  But given they have Keenum up front as the locked in starter, it also wouldnt surprise me to see them choose Kelly in the end over Lynch if the race is close given Lynch has been terrible in previous opportunities and Kelly still has the unknown and upside still going for him.  

So while I am sure Lynch is currently ahead in the race, if Kelly keeps it close, he may surprise and be the #2.  

On 8/1/2018 at 2:04 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Kelly is not much different than a rookie at this point, so I am sure he will have some ups and downs.  But given they have Keenum up front as the locked in starter, it also wouldnt surprise me to see them choose Kelly in the end over Lynch if the race is close given Lynch has been terrible in previous opportunities and Kelly still has the unknown and upside still going for him.  

So while I am sure Lynch is currently ahead in the race, if Kelly keeps it close, he may surprise and be the #2.  

Lynch has played 5 games, thrown 123 passes, and is 24 years old.

Kelly missed a good amount of his senior year, and didn't play a down last year.  He also got kicked off the Clemson football team, and got arrested in 2014 before transferring to Ole Miss.  He didn't play under center in college and hasn't really practiced with the team.  There's virtually 0 cap hit to release him outright.  He's a PS candidate IMO unless they carry 3.

The good news is I haven’t heard him get in trouble in a little while!  He’s a dime a dozen camp arm.  Since he’s from WNY, I hope he gets some nfl shine.  But man, just reading his social media and his actions, he seems not smart.  Of course, that is expected of a St Joes product. :)