Chad Kelly in contention to be Broncos backup

Chad Kelly transforms from “little tubby kid” to Denver Broncos’ backup quarterback contender....

Vance Joseph recalled last weekend that Chad Kelly was a “little tubby kid” when he joined the Broncos last year, a Mr. Irrelevant who was not able to play during the 2017 season while recovering from wrist surgery. Kelly has since traded meals with fried foods for dishes featuring spinach and chicken, slimming down his 6-foot-2 frame. And, after about 18 months away from football, Kelly now feels primed to battle Paxton Lynch for Denver’s backup quarterback job.

“I knew I needed to move around, get back to my old playing weight (from) back in early college and high school,” said Kelly, who was listed at 224 pounds at the beginning of last season. “(I’m) kind of feeling I can move around and do some things with my legs, but also (remain) powerful in throwing the ball …

“It’s been (a) really long (wait). But finally getting out here, you can kind of feel like yourself again. This is what you do. This is your job.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/14/chad-kelly-denver-broncos-backup-qb-contender/

I still don't understand the Broncos. Trevor Siemian was better than of their current QBs and they got rid. They paid a journeyman QB silly money after he had 1 good season in a decade of terrible ones, yet somehow they are being praised. I absolutely expect them to be drafting top 3 in 2019. Joseph is a terrible coach who has never managed to create a good defense. They are going to be a disaster this season.

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Like (+1) 2

Go Chad! Paxton needs some competition. It sounds like CK is doing all the right things. 

The defense was not an issue last year. If the offense wasn't so terribly inept, they would have crushed it. 

I think they'll make some improvements from 5-11, but not sure if they are playoff caliber yet. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

6 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

I still don't understand the Broncos. Trevor Siemian was better than of their current QBs and they got rid. They paid a journeyman QB silly money after he had 1 good season in a decade of terrible ones, yet somehow they are being praised. I absolutely expect them to be drafting top 3 in 2019. Joseph is a terrible coach who has never managed to create a good defense. They are going to be a disaster this season.

That defense with Chubb added to it will still be very good at crushing QBs.   If Keenum is anything close to what he was in Minnesota they will be a tough team, they still have pretty good WRs too.    

9 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

John's ego would be hurt if they didn't keep Paxton and Trevor was never John's guy.  He was Kubiak's.  I agree that VJ is a terrible coach, but we'll see what transpires this year

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

I’d take this bet. Their over/under is around 7 games I’m planning on slamming the over. 

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

That defense with Chubb added to it will still be very good at crushing QBs.   If Keenum is anything close to what he was in Minnesota they will be a tough team, they still have pretty good WRs too.    

You aren't getting Minnesota's offense though. You are getting an overated re-tread OC, worse receivers, a much worse O line and no run game. Add that to the career year Keenum had. Is that a recipe for a Keenum repeat?

Just now, Mountain Man said:

You aren't getting Minnesota's offense though. You are getting an overated re-tread OC, worse receivers, a much worse O line and no run game. Add that to the career year Keenum had. Is that a recipe for a Keenum repeat?

you do get to play in that thin air half the season that everyone hates too.  I wouldn't say Minnesota's WRs are better than Denver's.   Running game definitely is though.  No doubt about that.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, COBillsBacker said:

John's ego would be hurt if they didn't keep Paxton and Trevor was never John's guy.  He was Kubiak's.  I agree that VJ is a terrible coach, but we'll see what transpires this year

Kubiak is still incredibly influential in that organization, so I wouldn't say there is much of a difference between Kubiak's guy and Elway's guy.   Bottom line is they weren't going to pay six million dollars across their 2nd and 3rd sting quarterbacks.  So they chose to keep the 1st round pick who had a couple of years left on his contract, rather than the 7th round pick who is a free agent next year.

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

you do get to play in that thin air half the season that everyone hates too.  I wouldn't say Minnesota's WRs are better than Denver's.   Running game definitely is though.  No doubt about that.   

Denver drafted a RB so things could change there too. Nice weapons outside, the best QB outside the pocket last season, and a D that will crush some QBs. I like it 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Commonsense said:

Denver drafted a RB so things could change there too. Nice weapons outside, the best QB outside the pocket last season, and a D that will crush some QBs. I like it 

Denver's biggest problem isn't Denver, it's that KC and San Diego have caught up to them.    KC's only real weakness is the questions around Mahomes.   San Diego has a good veteran QB, good WRs, and a pretty darn good defense.   Bosa and Ingram are probably the best tandem pass rushers in the NFL right now.   

That division is a dogfight. 

11 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

chad kelly will be the starter there next year and for years to come. it will be a fun division to watch in the coming years with him,carr, mahommes and old man rivers all facing each other twice a year. i wish we would have taken him.

Comedy gold right there...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

chad kelly will be the starter there next year and for years to come. it will be a fun division to watch in the coming years with him,carr, mahommes and old man rivers all facing each other twice a year.

Mr. Irrevelant now feels he can compete for the backup QB spot, and based on that, you have him becoming a franchise QB by next year??

35 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i wish we would have taken him.

I am beyond thrilled we did not.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

chad kelly will be the starter there next year and for years to come. it will be a fun division to watch in the coming years with him,carr, mahommes and old man rivers all facing each other twice a year. i wish we would have taken him.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Comedy gold right there...

I'd rather have Chad "Little Tubby Kid" Kelly than Late Nate Peterman.

• Like (+1) 3

If Chad's last name is Collins, or Adams, or whatever, this thread does NOT exist.

30 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'd rather have Chad "Little Tubby Kid" Kelly than Late Nate Peterman.

That is like saying 'I would rather have Mike Tolbert than Reggie Bush"

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Joseph is a terrible coach who has never managed to create a good defense. They are going to be a disaster this season.

I 100% believe that Joseph was hired simply to get fired whenever Kubiak decides to come back to coaching. Once his health issues ar all good he will be back. I really believe that Elway hired Joseph because he is an easy guy to fire when Kubiak comes back. 

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

This is embarrassing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

This is embarrassing 

At least we know a Kelly family member posts here. Either that or a blind and deaf person who cannot actually see the games or see or read the news. Because he's a Kelly doesn't mean he's a) a good qb or b) a guy worth rooting for. He's neither in my book. The only reason to cheer for him is to send good vibes to Jim. If that's your rationale, I'm OK with that. If you honestly believe he is either a or B, then you are delusional.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Haha (+1) 1