FA Pass Rusher Ryan Russell visiting Bills

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

levi wallace is gonna make a name for himself. also, throwing taron and siran in the mix with hyde, poyer, white and davis,  that's gonna be one deadly unit.

The unit looks promising for sure.  However, even as good as they played last year, we gave up a good amount of passing yards and points.  The turnover differential was the difference.  To make the secondary most successful - the pass rush has to improve.  

20 minutes ago, White Linen said:

The unit looks promising for sure.  However, even as good as they played last year, we gave up a good amount of passing yards and points.  The turnover differential was the difference.  To make the secondary most successful - the pass rush has to improve.  

i believe the pass rush will be totally different than last year and result in fewer comps. with the opposing qb on his back more often......way more often.

no more watching a qb tie his shoes before he throws.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Ok this is just getting weird now.

Hughes
Lawson 
Murphy
Yarbrough
Fede
Odhigazuwa
Love
Lewis
Boesen

And now they're bringing in Russell? How many DEs can you realistically put on the roster? 

At this point, one would have to be downright blind not to consider the possibility that either Hughes or Lawson (smart money is on Lawson) will be cut or traded in the near future. 

Can't see Lawson being cut given his age and inexpensive salary. Traded maybe.

The pass rush was very meh last year. I see no reason not to bring in as many guys as possible and hope a couple rise to the occasion. 

I think Hughes is safe unless they trade him, but I don't expect they'd get much of return for a 30 year old pass rusher making $10 million a year.

I think Murphy and Hughes are the only locks. Lawson is probably the next closest, but if other guys step up, I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded or cut. I know his salary is really low, but they need more of an impact from their ends. Maybe Star will help make that happen. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Not sure if this guy has a nickname yet or if he is called one by his friends and family. Do you guys have any suggestions for nicknames for Ryan Russell?

How about:

Railroad Crossing!

Lay Down the Tracks

Hustle Russell

Isn’t Ryan a girls name?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Another guy with a lot of physical talent that never reached his potential. This is the McDermott archetype for depth players. Also I have to wonder if Shaq Lawson's position is in jeopardy.

This is what I'm thinking.  I think it is more of they may have something in place to deal Shaq for a WR or OL help but they want to make sure they have what they need in the event they deal him.  Given this guy's production and given Shaq's upside, I'd rather keep Shaq.  But the offense needs help in a major way at WR and in the trenches so if Shaq can be dealt and we get help at WR or in the trenches then see ya Shaq, best on your career.

26 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

The pass rush was very meh last year. I see no reason not to bring in as many guys as possible and hope a couple rise to the occasion. 

I think Hughes is safe unless they trade him, but I don't expect they'd get much of return for a 30 year old pass rusher making $10 million a year.

I think Murphy and Hughes are the only locks. Lawson is probably the next closest, but if other guys step up, I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded or cut. I know his salary is really low, but they need more of an impact from their ends. Maybe Star will help make that happen. 

And it's also more like they need more impact on offense.  IF Shaq is dealt I wouldn't be surprised if it is for a player in return.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Ok this is just getting weird now.

Hughes
Lawson 
Murphy
Yarbrough
Fede
Odhigazuwa
Love
Lewis
Boesen

And now they're bringing in Russell? How many DEs can you realistically put on the roster? 

At this point, one would have to be downright blind not to consider the possibility that either Hughes or Lawson (smart money is on Lawson) will be cut or traded in the near future. 

It's called competition my man.

I cant see Shaq being cut or traded based on who else they have on the squad at the moment...

He is clearly the third End that will be used in rotation with Hughes and Murph, and I would even like to see him play inside on 3rd down passing situations..

He obviously hasn't played up to the expectations of a First rounder, but can we honestly say that he was bad last year?

I think you keep him another season and see if he gets better... He will have to improve to see 2019 though otherwise his replacement will be drafted next season...

27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I cant see Shaq being cut or traded based on who else they have on the squad at the moment...

He is clearly the third End that will be used in rotation with Hughes and Murph, and I would even like to see him play inside on 3rd down passing situations..

He obviously hasn't played up to the expectations of a First rounder, but can we honestly say that he was bad last year?

I think you keep him another season and see if he gets better... He will have to improve to see 2019 though otherwise his replacement will be drafted next season...

I can't see Shaq getting cut either, but I don't know if he's automatically 3rd man up. Yarbrough filled in well last year and they already said they plan to throw Alexander back in there getting snaps at DE as well. Shaq very well could be 4th or 5th man in the rotation if he doesn't impress in camp. 

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

So, is he any good?

Tampa had probably the worst pass rush in the NFL last season and Russell was a backup for them. Suffice to say, if Buffalo is trying to find a pass rusher, he probably isn't the guy.

9 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

I remember him being drafted. He had a load of talent but not much production. Worth kicking the tyres and maybe he works better here. There is room on the roster for backup edge rushers so does no harm to see what he is like

Good measurables, but came out of college pretty raw and lacking intensity.  He's had 3 years to learn a few things.  We'll see if the fire in his belly is burning any hotter.