FA Pass Rusher Ryan Russell visiting Bills

3 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Why not have just kept Ryan Davis?

Know what you have in him - and what you have is worse than shaq and yarbrough

Just now, HappyDays said:

Another guy with a lot of physical talent that never reached his potential. This is the McDermott archetype for depth players. Also I have to wonder if Shaq Lawson's position is in jeopardy.

Gotta at least try to get better at the position.  Shaq sounds motivated to have a good year - but talk and production are 2 different things.

Ok this is just getting weird now.

Hughes
Lawson 
Murphy
Yarbrough
Fede
Odhigazuwa
Love
Lewis
Boesen

And now they're bringing in Russell? How many DEs can you realistically put on the roster? 

At this point, one would have to be downright blind not to consider the possibility that either Hughes or Lawson (smart money is on Lawson) will be cut or traded in the near future. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Hughes
Lawson 
Murphy
Yarbrough
Fede
Odhigazuwa
Love
Lewis
Boesen

And now they're bringing in Russell? How many DEs can you realistically put on the roster? 

At this point, one would have to be downright blind not to consider the possibility that either Hughes or Lawson (smart money is on Lawson) will be cut or traded in the near future. 

You can never have too many Defensive Ends.

In the strictest technical sense Trent Murphy is an Outside Linebacker.

No harm in bringing in players to see what they can do. Then have them work it out in training camp and see what happens.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

You can never have too many Defensive Ends.

In the strictest technical sense Trent Murphy is an Outside Linebacker.

No harm in bringing in players to see what they can do. Then have them work it out in training camp and see what happens.

I get that. But 10 bodies at the position? Seems like a lot. 

Trent Murphy is not an outside linebacker for the Bills. He may have been that for the Redskins in their 3-4, but he is listed as a DE for the BIlls and I doubt you'll see him line up as an off-ball linebacker very much.

• Like (+1) 3

Our secondary played pretty well last year.  We had an excellent turnover ratio.  Our LB's, IMO, overachieved and did a decent job.  Our pass rush, yds allowed and pass rush was not good.  They are making a concerted effort to improve the run defense and pass rush.  Bring in the DE's.  The pass rush is critical to a McDermott defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Logic said:

Hughes
Lawson 
Murphy
Yarbrough
Fede
Odhigazuwa
Love
Lewis
Boesen

Of those, Hughes and Murphy are the only locks to make the roster. All the rest are basically auditioning for the remaining few spots

59 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Another guy with a lot of physical talent that never reached his potential. This is the McDermott archetype for depth players. Also I have to wonder if Shaq Lawson's position is in jeopardy.

Shaq's role should be to set the edge and stop the run and get clean up sacks, he'll never be Bruce Smith/Mario Williams/Aaron Schobel but could be a Phil Hansen/Ryan Denney type. 

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

I get that. But 10 bodies at the position? Seems like a lot. 

Trent Murphy is not an outside linebacker for the Bills. He may have been that for the Redskins in their 3-4, but he is listed as a DE for the BIlls and I doubt you'll see him line up as an off-ball linebacker very much.

i hope he has his hand in the dirt only. i expect him to have 10 plus sacks.   and, in another thread a ways back, someone noted that he had 55 qb pressures in his last full year.

that, across from hughes?....yum

30 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Our secondary played pretty well last year.  We had an excellent turnover ratio.  Our LB's, IMO, overachieved and did a decent job.  Our pass rush, yds allowed and pass rush was not good.  They are making a concerted effort to improve the run defense and pass rush.  Bring in the DE's.  The pass rush is critical to a McDermott defense.  

levi wallace is gonna make a name for himself. also, throwing taron and siran in the mix with hyde, poyer, white and davis,  that's gonna be one deadly unit.

Edited by billsredneck1

8 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i hope he has his hand in the dirt only. i expect him to have 10 plus sacks.   and, in another thread a ways back, someone noted that he had 55 qb pressures in his last full year.

that, across from hughes?....yum

Totally agree. As you can tell from my avatar pic, I expect Murphy to have a big impact on the Bills defense this year. The book on him coming out of college was that he'd need a few years to really acclimate and adjust to the pro game. JUST as that was starting to happen with the Redskins, his injury and suspension occurred. Now, he's back healthy and has something to prove, and the Bills are going to be the beneficiaries.

I look forward to seeing Murphy and Phillips -- the Stanford Destroyers -- meeting many quarterbacks in the backfield for years to come.

Not sure if this guy has a nickname yet or if he is called one by his friends and family. Do you guys have any suggestions for nicknames for Ryan Russell?

How about:

Railroad Crossing!

Lay Down the Tracks

Hustle Russell

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

Totally agree. As you can tell from my avatar pic, I expect Murphy to have a big impact on the Bills defense this year. The book on him coming out of college was that he'd need a few years to really acclimate and adjust to the pro game. JUST as that was starting to happen with the Redskins, his injury and suspension occurred. Now, he's back healthy and has something to prove, and the Bills are going to be the beneficiaries.

I look forward to seeing Murphy and Phillips -- the Stanford Destroyers -- meeting many quarterbacks in the backfield for years to come.

....and this year that's gonna make jerry worth every penny!