May Movies: Deadpool, Solo, Overboard, & Breaking In

As "Avengers: Infinity War" continues to turn previous box office records into dust, the month of May looks to get the Summer Season into full gear. Very few wide releases occur, which is understandable. There is very little counter programming for the box office behemoths. Another Marvel sequel and another separate tale from a galaxy far, far away, look to reinvigorate the power of the month of May. Something that was lacking from last year's disappointments.

20th Century Fox & Marvel bring us, "Deadpool 2". Foul-mouthed mutant mercenary Wade Wilson (AKA. Deadpool), brings together a team of fellow mutant rogues to protect a young boy of supernatural abilities from the brutal, time-traveling mutant, Cable. Starring Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Morena Baccarin, Zazie Beetz, Brianna Hildebrand & Bill Skarsgard.

Disney brings us, "Solo: A Star Wars Story". During an adventure into a dark criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his future copilot Chewbacca and encounters Lando Calrissian years before joining the Rebellion. Starring Alden Ehrenreich, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Joonas Suotamo, & Paul Bettany.

In "Overboard", A spoiled, wealthy yacht owner is thrown overboard and becomes the target of revenge from his mistreated employee. Starring Anna Faris, Eugenio Derbez, Eva Longoria & Swoosie Kurtz.

In "Breaking In", A woman fights to protect her family during a home invasion. Starring Gabrielle Union, Billy Burke, Richard Cabral & Ajiona Alexus.

In "Show Dogs", Max, a macho, solitary Rottweiler police dog is ordered to go undercover as a primped show dog in a prestigious Dog Show, along with his human partner, to avert a disaster from happening. Starring Will Arnett, Alan Cumming, Stanley Tucci & Natasha Lyonne.

In "Book Club", Four lifelong friends have their lives forever changed after reading 50 Shades of Grey in their monthly book club. Starring Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen & Mary Steenburgen.

Finally, in "Life of the Party", After her husband abruptly asks for a divorce, a middle-aged mother returns to college in order to complete her degree. Staring Melissa McCarthy, Gillian Jacobs, Debby Ryan & Adria Arjona.

Calendar with Trailers.

5/4

"Overboard":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3440556057?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_15

5/11

"Breaking In":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3757357081?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_18

"Life of the Party":     http://www.lifeoftheparty-movie.com/#/trailer2

5/18

"Deadpool 2":     https://www.foxmovies.com/movies/deadpool-2

"Show Dogs":     http://showdogs-movie.com/

"Book Club":     https://www.paramount.com/movies/book-club

5/25

"Solo: A Star Wars Story":     https://www.starwars.com/films/solo

That's all for now. Sorry for being so late with this. Enjoy!

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

isn't overboard an old goldie hawn/kurt russell film?

It's a re-make.

Solo looks like crap, but probably going to be forced to see it opening weekend.

Deadpool seems promising, but Domino is fugly. Too bad, since she was a favorite growing up.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, unbillievable said:

It's a re-make.

Solo looks like crap, but probably going to be forced to see it opening weekend.

Deadpool seems promising, but Domino is fugly. Too bad, since she was a favorite growing up.

Domino is fugly...?

deadpool-2-domino-zazie-beetz-twitter-01-480x520.jpg

On 5/15/2018 at 11:18 AM, shrader said:

Deadpool on saturday!

I don't know why, but the promotion for Solo has done absolutely nothing for me.  I don't have much desire to see that one.

Deadpool on Saturday for me as well.

I'm looking forward to Solo. I was concerned when the whole changing of directors thing happened, followed by rumors that they would push it back to December. Then the first teaser came out during the Super Bowl, and I was surprised at how it looked, in a good way. For me, there is no such thing as too much Star Wars. So, bring it.

"Book Club" sounds like the kind of movie you could torture prisoners with and they'd be 1) begging for mercy and 2) telling you what you want to know within 45 minutes.  

On 5/16/2018 at 6:31 AM, unbillievable said:

Why did they have to make her look like side-show Bob?

DPr-i8IUQAAEkTj.jpg

Just google "Domino Cosplay" and you'll find a lot better versions done by amateurs. There's even a few dudes.

With this picture, your argument is justified.

This cosplayer did an excellent job. The studios should take notice.

No spoilers: best mid-credit scenes ever!

edit: Did anyone else get a couple red band trailers before the movie?

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/19/2018 at 5:58 PM, shrader said:

No spoilers: best mid-credit scenes ever!

edit: Did anyone else get a couple red band trailers before the movie?

Those scenes were hilarious, by far the funniest scenes in the movie.

No red band trailers at the screening I went to. Which movie trailers did you get a red band of?

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Those scenes were hilarious, by far the funniest scenes in the movie.

No red band trailers at the screening I went to. Which movie trailers did you get a red band of?

There were two.  The first I have absolutely no idea what it was, completely incoherent with every other word being an f-bomb.  The second was an R rated muppet spoof.  I think the last scene in that trailer could wind up pushing the rating limit.  Disturbing.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

There were two.  The first I have absolutely no idea what it was, completely incoherent with every other word being an f-bomb.  The second was an R rated muppet spoof.  I think the last scene in that trailer could wind up pushing the rating limit.  Disturbing.

That sounds like "The Happytime Murders", which is due in August.

We are seeing Deadpool 2 on Thursday. That was the only movie I was interested in this month.

We saw Avengers last week, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.  I expected a mish-mash and thought it was fairly well done for all the characters and moving parts.  I ended up glad Hubby wanted to see it.

I have seen every Star Wars movie since seeing the first one in an old theater in Boston in 1977 (before wide release) before anyone really knew what a success it was going to be.  Solo does not even interest me a tiny bit. ? And that makes me sad. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have seen every Star Wars movie since seeing the first one in an old theater in Boston in 1977 (before wide release) before anyone really knew what a success it was going to be.  Solo does not even interest me a tiny bit. ? And that makes me sad. 

So, after seeing the Phantom Menace, you were interested in seeing Attack of the Clones, but you can't get up for the Han Solo movie after Rogue One was a very good movie.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

So, after seeing the Phantom Menace, you were interested in seeing Attack of the Clones, but you can't get up for the Han Solo movie after Rogue One was a very good movie.

I hope it delivers, but right now, any time I see an ad, all I see is some kids in halloween costumes.  Obviously it had to be done, but I don't know how you replace Harrison Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Interested? Not really, but I did it. Because... Star Wars.

I thought Rogue One was decent.

For me, Solo is a tough sell. All I can see is Harrison Ford at 35 playing the quintessential rogue. He just did it so well. Alden Ehrenreich "may" end up being very good in the role,  but he's never gonna be Harrison Ford as Han Solo.