5-15: Sean McDermott on One Bills Live - Josh Allen Has "Great Command" of the Offense

57 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

all i know is that i haven't been this excited and absorbed in over 20 yrs. i could talk, listen to and soak in everything bills, all day, every day.

My mentality towards the franchise and the new regime was that there was a recognition that they were coming in with a rebuild plan. The McBeane tandem wasn't going to do a patchwork job on the Whaley roster. They were coming in with the intention of dramatically reworking the roster and more rationally redistributing the distorted cap. I have always considered this a four year rebuild. Steadily the old line players have been dispatched and they are being replaced with their type of players. 

There may be short term frustrations while going through the process but what has made me very optimistic was what McDermott accomplished last year with a roster that had a dearth of talent. What was gotten out of last year's lackluster roster was a very pleasant surprise. The Bills made the playoffs last year with a roster that I considered was in the lower third of the league. Just wait when our franchise qb is established and the roster is more completely built. Needless to say I'm optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, TPS said:

It’s tough to embalm in this league...

pretty sure that fluid was his drink of choice versus Gatorade on Game Day.....wasn't his middle name Cadaver??.........

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

I have zero issues with how McD handles interviews. He is better than politicians at speaking and saying nothing. Our favorite HOF-to-be coach in New England is the master at this. 

.....neither do I bud...close to the vest.....besides facing some of the idiotic press questions is painful......and when they don't like his answer, they try to re-phrase it.....BEST pressers are Belichick and his "revelations (COUGH)"......would you rather have Blowhard Wrecks up there blathering and babbling?.......the "hire from Hell"......

4 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Same old coach speak TBH..

This guy is so boring to listen to.

So that is what matters now? Half the coaches are pretty lame in their pressers- but who cares, I sure dont. I wanna win!!!! Last year we not only went to the playoffs but we rid ourselves of dead and we had a very disciplined game day team/staff.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm taking an opposite view from most of the posters after hearing that interview. The takeaway for me that is illuminating is his philosophy on the type of players he wants to build a roster with. Tasker made an incisive observation in the interview when he said it seemed that last year you had less talent but the team played better. With the emphasis on the type of guys he wants you can see why Dareus and Watkins weren't players he wasn't going to invest in and trust. McDermott is not the type of coach who is going to tolerate a lazy and undisciplined player on and off the field.

It's apparent that the wrestling coach has thought long and hard on how he would build and run a team when given the opportunity. Whether one is enamored with him or not you have to give him credit for enacting his beliefs. Now only time will tell.  

It’s the BB no nonsense model. It works. Hopefully Beane hits on his picks and playoff panties can become an annual occurrence.

....cue up the "McD doesn't know jack about offense tape"......throw in a little OC McDumboll for good measure....Allen is here and Putz Boy went to 'Zona......oh well.....should be a great thread........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

It’s the BB no nonsense model. It works. Hopefully Beane hits on his picks and playoff panties can become an annual occurrence.

Success for rebuilding teams is certainly predicated on drafting well. But there is more to it. McDermott and Beane both believed that if you want to be a serious team you have to have a franchise qb. If you look at last year's draft moves and trading players for picks you can see that they weren't just going to give lip service to that endeavor but that they were going to make aggressive moves for the purpose of putting themselves in a positon to acquire a qb from the draft in a qb rich draft. If the Bills would have stayed pat without making deals to move up they wouldn't have gotten one of the top tier prospects. Again, they had a plan and they successfully executed it. McBeane also had a plan to clean up the cap situation. Next year they will be in an excellent situation with respect to the cap. Again, they had a plan and they superbly executed it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JohnC said:

Success for rebuilding teams is certainly predicated on drafting well. But there is more to it. McDermott and Beane both believed that if you want to be a serious team you have to have a franchise qb. If you look at last year's draft moves and trading players for picks you can see that they weren't just going to give lip service to that endeavor but that they were going to make aggressive moves for the purpose of putting themselves in a positon to acquire a qb from the draft in a qb rich draft. If the Bills would have stayed pat without making deals to move up they wouldn't have gotten one of the top tier prospects. Again, they had a plan and they successfully executed it. McBeane also had a plan to clean up the cap situation. Next year they will be in an excellent situation with respect to the cap. Again, they had a plan and they superbly executed it. 

They have the foresight that many of the previous regimes lacked.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills need to dig up the ghost of John McKay for coachspeak interviews:

"I think it's a good idea." -- on the Buccaneers' execution

"Everyone is unhappy at times, even my wife. Only she doesn't get interviewed about it." --on Buccaneers players who were complaining to the press

"Injuries kill you. I remember in Pittsburgh, we had no players and the ones we did have wanted to stay at the hotel by the fire. I was ticked because that's where I wanted to stand." -- on the Buccaneers losing 42-0 to the Steelers

"We didn't have a lot of talkers. We had two or three guys who could say a long prayer. In fact, one guy went so long one time he got an standing ovation. He was blessing everybody, the motor, the tire, the wheels, the fans. I kind of went to sleep." -- on his early Bucs teams

"You do a lot of praying, but most of the time the answer is 'no.'" -- on why coaching an expansion team is a religious experience

"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking."

Emotion is highly overrated in football. My wife Corky is emotional as hell but can’t play football worth a damn.

On his team’s blocking strategy: “Hold when you’re at home and don’t hold when you’re on the road.”

If you have everyone back from a team that lost ten games, experience isn’t too important.

"It's shattering when a player loses interest in camp. When you lose your desire to stand around and eat steaks, you lose everything."

"God's busy. They'll have to make do with me." -- when asked if his team prayed for victory

"Maybe that will distract the Falcon quarterback." -- McKay once threatened to show up naked for a game against the Atlanta Falcons.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Same old coach speak TBH..

This guy is so boring to listen to.

I'll take boring over losing.

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Personally, no.  But apparently there are some on this board who miss him.

Must be because with Rex, you got two losers for the price of one.

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

They have the foresight that many of the previous regimes lacked.

Yes, it is refreshing to see that there is actually a plan.  For far too long it was apparent there was no plan, or to be generous, a bad plan.  We will see how it plays out, but there is no question these guys are executing a well thought out strategy.  

We've run an antiquated offense since the end of the K-Gun years.  Maybe Daboll can spark some life into the passing game.  The problem is we may have among the worst WR core and Oline in the league.

7 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Wow, he just slammed Rico, who deserves it running an antiquated offense without any type of attempt at modernization or catering to players strengths or abilities.

Slammed ?

7 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Why does he even bother?  I like him, but he never says anything. Every time he speaks I feel like he is just wasting everyone’s time. Just stop with interviews and press conferences, just continue being a good coach.

Oh shut up already...would you rather hear we won the off season?

30 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We've run an antiquated offense since the end of the K-Gun years.  Maybe Daboll can spark some life into the passing game.  The problem is we may have among the worst WR core and Oline in the league.

And I dont want to hear about how bad the WR crew is untill they actually have a QB throw to them.