5-15: Sean McDermott on One Bills Live - Josh Allen Has "Great Command" of the Offense

Don't know why anyone expects much from a coach/general manager press conference. Their job is to play cards close to the vest and withhold information.

It's like everyone expects a Mora "Playoffs....you want me to talk about playoffs? Playoffs?" or a Herm Edwards "You play. To win. The game." press conference. Nah, those come from exasperated coaches under pressure.

Keep talking in boring cliches McDermott. I'm good ?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

Don't know why anyone expects much from a coach/general manager press conference. Their job is to play cards close to the vest and withhold information.

It's like everyone expects a Mora "Playoffs....you want me to talk about playoffs? Playoffs?" or a Herm Edwards "You play. To win. The game." press conference. Nah, those come from exasperated coaches under pressure.

I agree, but McDermott should come out to one of these yawnfests wearing a Clemson helmet just for giggles.

33 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

And who can forget ego-maniacal Brian Billick after Elvis Freaking Grbac threw a TD pass to win a game in 2001?  :lol:

"Anybody want to ask me who my quarterback is next week?" Billick chirped after much-criticized Elvis Grbac threw the winning touchdown pass with nine seconds left today that lifted the Ravens to a 24-21 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars. "Remember now. Owners own. Coaches coach. Players play. Writers write. Keep that in mind. That's why that guy is my quarterback. Maybe some of you will understand."

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm taking an opposite view from most of the posters after hearing that interview. The takeaway for me that is illuminating is his philosophy on the type of players he wants to build a roster with. Tasker made an incisive observation in the interview when he said it seemed that last year you had less talent but the team played better. With the emphasis on the type of guys he wants you can see why Dareus and Watkins weren't players he wasn't going to invest in and trust. McDermott is not the type of coach who is going to tolerate a lazy and undisciplined player on and off the field.

It's apparent that the wrestling coach has thought long and hard on how he would build and run a team when given the opportunity. Whether one is enamored with him or not you have to give him credit for enacting his beliefs. Now only time will tell.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Translation - were throwing the ball more

I don't want to get into the Tyrod debate on what he can and can't do. That's history that doesn't need to be revisited. However, with either McCarron or Peterman I see a more conventional passing game of quick reads and getting rid of the ball. With that type of quick release throws the OL will be more effective in pass blocking than with the qb holding on to the ball. Taylor had a lot of deficiencies to deal with on offense. But his unique style of play is not what McDermott wants to run. 

As I have said before while many here are stressed with the thought of Peterman being on the roster I see the wrestling coach being comfortable with him. There may not be a long term role for him but for the short term the wrestling coach envisions a role for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wish he'd detail all current plans, speak bluntly about the players and tell us who will be the starting QB. I'd like him to tell us what he likes and dislikes about Brandon Beane and the Pegulas. And he should share his email address and password.

• Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I like boring.  It generates no headlines.   It's humble.   It's very Belichick like to be boring at press conferences.   The animated ones, the Rex's, the Herm Edwards, the guys with more boisterous press conferences don't seem to last...or win.

Dick Vermiel, Lou Saban, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson, Sam Wyche, Paul Brown, Hank Stram, John Madden, Marty Shottenhiemer, Bill Walsh to name a few say ‘Hi!’ animatedly..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm taking an opposite view from most of the posters after hearing that interview. The takeaway for me that is illuminating is his philosophy on the type of players he wants to build a roster with. Tasker made an incisive observation in the interview when he said it seemed that last year you had less talent but the team played better. With the emphasis on the type of guys he wants you can see why Dareus and Watkins weren't players he wasn't going to invest in and trust. McDermott is not the type of coach who is going to tolerate a lazy and undisciplined player on and off the field.

It's apparent that the wrestling coach has thought long and hard on how he would build and run a team when given the opportunity. Whether one is enamored with him or not you have to give him credit for enacting his beliefs. Now only time will tell.  

all i know is that i haven't been this excited and absorbed in over 20 yrs. i could talk, listen to and soak in everything bills, all day, every day.

3 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Same old coach speak TBH..

This guy is so boring to listen to.

That's just how he is and it's not going to change.

No need to listen to this sort of thing.  You won't learn a thing.