@YardsPerPass interview on WGR - why he’s talked himself into Josh Allen

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

His TDs and INTs were up a lot more when he had pretty good players around him the year before. Not throwing it away is a really bad trait to carry over from college and gets a lot of QBs hurt. I just hope he develops, but I think there is a very real possibility that he never starts in the NFL if he can't improve his short throws. Short and intermediate throws are so important at the NFL level.  I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised in a year or so. 

He became much smarter with the football in 2017. In 2016 he was 100% gunslinger. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Open the tweet, it's the start of a much longer thread of other Josh Allen film. It starts out with a lot of the bad and eventually gets to the really good. Watching this film I came away more convinced that he needs to sit most of this year. A Peterman-esque 5 interception game is definitely possible if he goes in too early.

There is no way Allen can compete with P5t5rman at throwing balls to DBs!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, jr1 said:

have him be a game manager for 2 years then unleash him

That's the exact "play scared, dont turn it over" development strategy that has killed every Bills QB so far.

Let him go sling it. If he throws 5 picks every game this year, so be it. Our high draft picks next year will help build around him. Im in this for the long haul.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's the exact "play scared, dont turn it over" development strategy that has killed every Bills QB so far.

Let him go sling it. If he throws 5 picks every game this year, so be it. Our high draft picks next year will help build around him. Im in this for the long haul.

This is what I've been saying. The NFL pass game in 2018 can be insanely QB friendly. You either sink or swim, close to ZERO young QBs actually "sit" unless you have a veteran QB who has been in place.

Edited by Elite Poster

10 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

This is what I've been saying. The NFL pass game in 2018 can be insanely QB friendly. You either sink or swim, close to ZERO young QBs actually "sit" unless you have a veteran QB who has been in place.

It all depends on what we are getting with AJM....which we really dont know yet.

I personally would like to see us bring Josh Allen along slowly....but we can only do that if we struck gold with AJM sitting on the bench behind a entrenched starter in Cinci....

9 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Is this supposed to be an example of that? Because all I see is his OLine getting annihilated and him having to run for his life.

Such bad oline play, it looks like a jail break blitz but it is a 4 man rush lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

None of the above. I don't care much about his completion % or his numbers vs top teams. All pretty meaningless. 

Actually, completion % and games played in college are the only mathematically demonstrably meaningful statistics there are in terms of assessing whether a college QB will be successful in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Actually, completion % and games played in college are the only mathematically demonstrably meaningful statistics there are in terms of assessing whether a college QB will be successful in the NFL.

I don't care much about college stats. College offenses inflate statistics. I use my eyes. 

Many QBs that never make the NFL have great college stats, so your math is useless. It may be a good indicator after all the top QBs are chosen. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

11 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Let me guess.

"Low completion percentage" aka "poor accuracy"

"Didn't dominate at a mid-major like Roethlisberger did in 2003"

"Struggled against power conference programs"

...but the thing is there’s a bit of truth to all of that. 

I came around on Allen post-draft, but those aren’t invalid criticisms. 

5 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

...but the thing is there’s a bit of truth to all of that. 

I came around on Allen post-draft, but those aren’t invalid criticisms. 

Nah, they're not valid criticisms.

@TheTruthHurts 's response "Not sure if he processes fast enough" is a legit concern. I'm not convinced that it's a huge weakness, but I can see where he's coming from there.

40 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

@TheTruthHurts 's response "Not sure if he processes fast enough" is a legit concern. I'm not convinced that it's a huge weakness, but I can see where he's coming from there.

I don't know if it's his processing or what, but there are just way too many instances on the tape where he makes really bizarre and stupid decisions. There are several games where he throws more than 3 interceptable passes in the first half alone. I'm trying to imagine him starting his first NFL game in 4 months and I see a disaster, on the same level as the Peterman game. I don't think he should start this year but everything the Bills say is pointing the other way. IF he starts before week 8 and looks good I'll be the first one to write the Pope asking him to canonize Jordan Palmer and Brian Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

@YardsPerPass interview on WGR - why he’s talked himself into Josh Allen

I'll listen later, when I have time and can give a more informed opinion.

But the answer's right there in the question and on the boards.

He's talked himself into Josh Allen because that's what a certain kind of Bills fan does. They talk themselves into whoever wears the Buffalo jersey. We've seen it thousands of times since the draft. People went from "you can't pick Allen because you need a guy who can make an impact in the first year and Allen is a guy who will need one or probably even two years to sit and learn," to "Allen doesn't need time to sit and learn, he's fine."

It doesn't make sense. But it's what a certain kind of fan does. And a large amount of the Bills fanbase is that kind of fan. Not that any other teams fans are better, I don't think they are. People tend to believe what they want to be true.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know if it's his processing or what, but there are just way too many instances on the tape where he makes really bizarre and stupid decisions. There are several games where he throws more than 3 interceptable passes in the first half alone. I'm trying to imagine him starting his first NFL game in 4 months and I see a disaster, on the same level as the Peterman game. I don't think he should start this year but everything the Bills say is pointing the other way. IF he starts before week 8 and looks good I'll be the first one to write the Pope asking him to canonize Jordan Palmer and Brian Daboll.

Thank you for saying it for me. 

16 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Is this supposed to be an example of that? Because all I see is his OLine getting annihilated and him having to run for his life.

You missed the .0.100 of a second he had between the handoff and the time he took off running for his life . 

Edited by Putin
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I've said multiple times his OL and WR's weren't good, so late throws could be a result of his teammates. I just don't like making that excuse, especially for a top 10 QB. 

I like Allen as a developmental prospect. I liked Rosen overall more, but I always say this, Jimmy Clausen is one of the best QBs I've evaluated and he was trash. No one really knows anything when it comes to QBs, even experts. However, I don't think there has been a top QB I disliked that succeeded, but there have been many I liked that failed. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

...well I’m surprised to hear they’re not valid criticisms considering they’re true. 

18 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

One thing that did make me feel better is when Wyoming lost to a 1-10 team when Allen was out.  That's how bad they were.....

It's hilarious how folks are talking about a "processing weakness" and throwing "interceptable balls" when Allen knew that each week he was solely responsible for keeping them in the game.

The problem will be if he fails to recognize that there is talent around him in the NFL so he doesn't need to take as many risks.  I, for one, believe he's smart enough to understand that.

18 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

...well I’m surprised to hear they’re not valid criticisms considering they’re true. 

They're not valid by themselves because there are many legitimate reasons for those specific "criticisms" that were out of Allen's control. Valid criticisms would be consistent video evidence as to why Allen was at fault for them.

• Like (+1) 1