@YardsPerPass interview on WGR - why he’s talked himself into Josh Allen

13 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Actually, completion % and games played in college are the only mathematically demonstrably meaningful statistics there are in terms of assessing whether a college QB will be successful in the NFL

WELL now.  I’m glad to hear you say that.

Would you mind linking the study that demonstrates that mathematically then?  ‘Cuz I’ve been looking, and I’d just be ever so grateful to you for providing the data.

As far as I can track back, the completion % and games started thing come from either Bill Parcells “Rules for drafting a QB” or a similar-era SI article, and I actually haven’t been able to find any studies demonstrating that these are actually meaningful statistics and not rules of thumb.  And I’ve looked.

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Lol very true. Was actually a descent play by Allen. Only thing he should have done was throw the ball away once he escaped, but that is something he can definitely work on

That and sliding.  Played baseball among other sports.  Oughtta know how to slide

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

WELL now.  I’m glad to hear you say that.

Would you mind linking the study that demonstrates that mathematically then?  ‘Cuz I’ve been looking, and I’d just be ever so grateful to you for providing the data.

As far as I can track back, the completion % and games started thing come from either Bill Parcells “Rules for drafting a QB” or a similar-era SI article, and I actually haven’t been able to find any studies demonstrating that these are actually meaningful statistics and not rules of thumb.  And I’ve looked.

That's a plausible guess as to the source of this proverbial wisdom.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recollect Trent Dilfer scoffing at taking completion percentage out of context as signifying accuracy.  (This was in an interview with Rich Eisen.)  In any event, surely some offenses that use a lot of bubble screens and the like or Air Raid style systems will have inflated completion percentages.  I can't see how by itself it could be a legitimate predictor of future success in the pros.

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Stop with the concussion nonsense there is nothing saying another ding will automatically render the kid done. Brady's wife openly said Tom has had unreported concussions... seems to still be playing.

Josh Allen has broken the same clavicle twice and missed time this past seaksn due to a shoulder injury.

So if Allen takes one more shot to that shoulder hes done?

One of them has a commitment to football....the other one is openly questioned

And yes...there is a difference between concussions and other injuries.....

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Agreed.  Even if the commitment were existentially equal, concussions are sufficiently different to place them in a different category.  There's a reason the NFL is going out of its way to try and reduce head injuries.  Athletes have retired because of multiple concussions.  Troy Aikman is an example.  They can create life-threatening conditions.  All athletes know this, but as Rosen's father is a surgeon, one surmises he would be especially informed and conscious of the dangers.

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

*Openly questioned by fans.

There is zero evidence the kid doesnt love the game. Especially considering, despite those concussions the kid kept coming back for more. Could have just walked away in college had that been the case. Then a team trades into the top ten for him, so clearly there is homework done on whether or not the kid is legit into it.

Not saying there is a difference or not, I am saying talking in absolutes is silly. You dont know how hell handle the next hit nor the team or doctors for that matter.

Edited by BillsFan17

22 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

*Openly questioned by fans.

There is zero evidence the kid doesnt love the game. Especially considering, despite those concussions the kid kept coming back for more. Could have just walked away in college had that been the case. Then a team trades into the top ten for him, so clearly there is homework done on whether or not the kid is legit into it.

Not saying there is a difference or not, I am saying talking in absolutes is silly. You dont know how hell handle the next hit nor the team or doctors for that matter.

Time will tell....football is a rough sport.   The hits are only gonna get harder as Josh moves up in monster's trying to knock him out of the game.

Who cares about Rosen?  Hes smart, Allen had a higher wonderlic?  So what measure of intellegence are we using to rank the Qbs by?  Or are we going off the guy's word who tells everyone how smart he is?  Now I have zero issue with Rosen as a prospect or individual.  I thought he could be a good fit, but there were multiple Qb starved NFL frachises that did not believe he was the best QB prospect.  Rumor has it Buffalo outbid Arizona for Allen.  

Edited by Mat68

22 hours ago, Trogdor said:

His TDs and INTs were up a lot more when he had pretty good players around him the year before. Not throwing it away is a really bad trait to carry over from college and gets a lot of QBs hurt. I just hope he develops, but I think there is a very real possibility that he never starts in the NFL if he can't improve his short throws. Short and intermediate throws are so important at the NFL level.  I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised in a year or so. 

I stated earlier that he needed to hold onto the ball to have a chance to make a play because none of his receivers could get open otherwise.  He needed to hold on to the ball because of the talent he had.  I believe that changes when he joins the Bills and he actually has players that can make a play. 

I believe we have better weapons than people give us credit for.  Benjamin, Clay and Mccoy are nice targets to have when healthy.  Certainly a lot of other players can step up this year with a fresh arm at QB.

9 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

They're not valid by themselves because there are many legitimate reasons for those specific "criticisms" that were out of Allen's control. Valid criticisms would be consistent video evidence as to why Allen was at fault for them.

I agree with you. I do. But that’s not to say there isn’t some credence to the knocks on him. 

And to be honest, I respect Beane. I respect the hell out of him. The safe pick was Rosen and everybody knew it. If this blows up he’ll forever be known as “the idiot that drafted Josh Allen,” or he’ll be known as “the guy that got Josh Allen!!!” Like he’s f’real putting his career on the line for this one. How long will it be till he gets a sniff at GM again if he gets fired because Allen is a bust and Rosen is amazing?

...so let’s hope Beane is right. 

On draft night I was PISSED. But I didn’t pay any attention to Allen pre draft because I was convinced he’d be horrid. I do see what Beane sees now. Let’s hope he’s right. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Stop with the concussion nonsense there is nothing saying another ding will automatically render the kid done. Brady's wife openly said Tom has had unreported concussions... seems to still be playing.

Josh Allen has broken the same clavicle twice and missed time this past seaksn due to a shoulder injury.

So if Allen takes one more shot to that shoulder hes done?

I think there’s a little difference between  a shoulder injury and (brain/injury) concussion!

6 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So wise...

memphis.gif

UnripeScaredBluefintuna-max-1mb.gif

One more concussion and he will be certified 

56 minutes ago, Putin said:

I think there’s a little difference between  a shoulder injury and (brain/injury) concussion!

One more concussion and he will be certified 

I literally had a post right after that touched on that.

Man...this is how crazy people tries to justify not being crazy. If it looks like a rat & smells like a rat...then it's a rat. 

This type if naive thinking is believing that your being rained on....even tho the liquid is yellow & has a smell. 

1 minute ago, Scorp83 said:

Man...this is how crazy people tries to justify not being crazy. If it looks like a rat & smells like a rat...then it's a rat. 

This type if naive thinking is believing that your being rained on....even tho the liquid is yellow & has a smell. 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

giphy.gif

It's the truth... 

I'm not talking myself into Allen... if he proves me wrong I will believe.... but I've been around this game for a long time. I just don't see it...im not going to go against my better judgment & talk myself into something I know in my heart is just wrong. If I'm wrong...i will proudly own it! But the chances of me being wrong is lesser then Allen becoming a franchise QB for our team. 

8 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

It's the truth... 

I'm not talking myself into Allen... if he proves me wrong I will believe.... but I've been around this game for a long time. I just don't see it...im not going to go against my better judgment & talk myself into something I know in my heart is just wrong. If I'm wrong...i will proudly own it! But the chances of me being wrong is lesser then Allen becoming a franchise QB for our team. 

So anyone who thinks Josh Allen is good and/or can be good in the NFL is getting pissed on? Your opinion is the only one of value...and any dissenting opinion is naive?

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

So anyone who thinks Josh Allen is good and/or can be good in the NFL is getting pissed on? Your opinion is the only one of value...and any dissenting opinion is naive?

There's no way most of the fanbase didn't want this guy before the draft...now that we have him...people want to ignore everything & talk themselves into him being good?? If you don't find nothing wrong with that... then yea...its being naive 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

There's no way most of the fanbase didn't want this guy before the draft...now that we have him...people want to ignore everything & talk themselves into him being good?? If you don't find nothing wrong with that... then yea...its being naive 

Scorp!

Man...i thought it was just me. 

I'm just getting tired of repeating myself, so I'm just sitting back waiting for camp to start

10 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Like the fan base even knows what they are talking about

something to consider they may both end up being good qbs it does not have to be a either or situation