@YardsPerPass interview on WGR - why he’s talked himself into Josh Allen

54 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

My initial reaction was while Allen had the most upside he had the most bust potential. And Rosen had the lowest floor and was the most pro ready right now.   

Forget Rosen, he's not a Bill.  I'm hoping Daboll can develop Allen into our answer for the next 15 years. 

Yeah the QB the Browns drafted has no risk written all over him.  

Rosen isn't the most pro ready - stop believing what people say.    

"most bust potential" - what a load of garbage

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Open the tweet, it's the start of a much longer thread of other Josh Allen film. It starts out with a lot of the bad and eventually gets to the really good. Watching this film I came away more convinced that he needs to sit most of this year. A Peterman-esque 5 interception game is definitely possible if he goes in too early.

You've concluded he needs to sit most of the year, huh?  

So when do you think he'll be ready?  Is it one game past the half way point?

What do you need to see from him in practice to allow him to play in a game?

9 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Yeah the QB the Browns drafted has no risk written all over him.  

Rosen isn't the most pro ready - stop believing what people say.    

"most bust potential" - what a load of garbage

That was actually my opinion, not what people said.  I thought he was more pro ready than Mayfield.   So not gonna apologize for it.   But i also said forget Rosen he's not a Bill.  I have been on board with Allen since we took him.  But i'm not going to go back and pretend i didn't have other opinions before the draft.  

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Not sure if he processes fast enough. Everything seems late. People blame it on other factors, but I don't like doing that. 

I watched every game of his and I really didn't come away with the feeling that he struggled to read the defense or progress through his reads. Although, I did find it much more difficult to analyze his play as opposed to, say, Rosen. His plays were designed to go downfield much more than Rosen, the offensive line was awful (even for the division level they were at), and his offensive skill players were not much better, if at all. I think he had very little trust in his offensive line, for good reason, and it affected his processing and decision making the same as any other QB in the same situation. Even in those instances when it looked like there wasn't enough pressure to cause him to hurry his throws, not set up properly, or to move from the pocket - it was hard to determine if that was due to his lack of proficiency at processing / poor mechanics, or just plain lack of trust in his line from experience. I guess that is why there is such a diversity of opinions about him.

I really am looking forward to seeing how he progresses. Ideally, I would like for him to have the opportunity sit for a while; however, I also don't believe he is as much of a project as some believe. Just my opinion. Let's hope for the best.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I see this is a sensitive subject for you. I'm not going to ignore what I see on the tape. I don't want Allen starting until proper muscle memory is ingrained. I won't be in his practices or film room so I won't be able to make that decision. The way the Bills are talking about him I think they value his white board skills more than his mechanics. In other words they'll give him the starting job if and when he shows that he grasps the playbook, then they'll let him figure out the other stuff on the job. I don't agree with that philosophy but maybe it will work. When Beane says Allen isn't raw I think he means that Allen comes from a pro style offense and can run one immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I see this is a sensitive subject for you. I'm not going to ignore what I see on the tape. I don't want Allen starting until proper muscle memory is ingrained. I won't be in his practices or film room so I won't be able to make that decision. The way the Bills are talking about him I think they value his white board skills more than his mechanics. In other words they'll give him the starting job if and when he shows that he grasps the playbook, then they'll let him figure out the other stuff on the job. I don't agree with that philosophy but maybe it will work. When Beane says Allen isn't raw I think he means that Allen comes from a pro style offense and can run one immediately.

It's not a sensitive subject it's aggravating.   I'm sure you've heard the adage - film doesn't lie? 

Yes it does.

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

JOSH ALLEN IS THE QB FOR BUFFALO BILLS. CAN YOU LET HIM PLAY IN A FREAKING PRESEASON GAME BEFORE THE START THIS CRAP. JOSH ROSEN IS A SKINNY LITTLE TENNIS PLAYER PRETENDING TO BE A QB. 

Thanks for the LAUGH!

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

JOSH ALLEN IS THE QB FOR BUFFALO BILLS. CAN YOU LET HIM PLAY IN A FREAKING PRESEASON GAME BEFORE THE START THIS CRAP. JOSH ROSEN IS A SKINNY LITTLE TENNIS PLAYER PRETENDING TO BE A QB. 

So you're saying, we should not talk about Josh Allen until he plays a preseason game?

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Not sure if he processes fast enough. Everything seems late. People blame it on other factors, but I don't like doing that. 

Just curious as to where you are getting your info on Allen about him not processing the game fast enough?  What makes you say everything seems late? If you knew anything about watching him in person you would know he couldnt lead his receivers, they couldn't get seperation. So he had to be damn accurate on ball placement or it would be an interception.  In 2017 he was a lot more careful with the ball because he knew the team he had under him couldn't score much. So he had limited series too put points on the board. If you understood the dynamics of what coach Bohl runs his offense under, then maybe you could understand the restrictions put on Allen. Allen is better than he looks on video clips. You have to know and have a feel for what dynamics he was working with. Not just repeat something you heard or read. I have seen over 20 NFL quarterbacks play in person while they were in college.. So I feel I have a little understanding of what it might take to be an NFL qb, or at least a qualified opinion.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know if you really think this or you just thought it would be a good to type it out for some reason...

3 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

He was the only one on the team that could make a play.  He made huge plays all year by not throwing it away and throwing it down the field.  The offensive line was horrid.

What offensive line?  There was an offensive line in that clip?  That thought is offensive.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Open the tweet, it's the start of a much longer thread of other Josh Allen film. It starts out with a lot of the bad and eventually gets to the really good. Watching this film I came away more convinced that he needs to sit most of this year. A Peterman-esque 5 interception game is definitely possible if he goes in too early.

Gotcha. I'm definitely a proponent of Allen redshirting the 2018 season (standing and watching).

Unfortunately, we all know the reality of how things go and the amount of pressure the public can put on decision-makers.

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I watched every game of his and I really didn't come away with the feeling that he struggled to read the defense or progress through his reads. Although, I did find it much more difficult to analyze his play as opposed to, say, Rosen. His plays were designed to go downfield much more than Rosen, the offensive line was awful (even for the division level they were at), and his offensive skill players were not much better, if at all. I think he had very little trust in his offensive line, for good reason, and it affected his processing and decision making the same as any other QB in the same situation. Even in those instances when it looked like there wasn't enough pressure to cause him to hurry his throws, not set up properly, or to move from the pocket - it was hard to determine if that was due to his lack of proficiency at processing / poor mechanics, or just plain lack of trust in his line from experience. I guess that is why there is such a diversity of opinions about him.

I really am looking forward to seeing how he progresses. Ideally, I would like for him to have the opportunity sit for a while; however, I also don't believe he is as much of a project as some believe. Just my opinion. Let's hope for the best.

His coach said he actually ran a lot of pro concepts, and gave Allen a lot of control at the line to read defenses and call audibles himself.

I think he processes things very well.

I'm looking forward to him as well.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

He was the only one on the team that could make a play.  He made huge plays all year by not throwing it away and throwing it down the field.  The offensive line was horrid.

His TDs and INTs were up a lot more when he had pretty good players around him the year before. Not throwing it away is a really bad trait to carry over from college and gets a lot of QBs hurt. I just hope he develops, but I think there is a very real possibility that he never starts in the NFL if he can't improve his short throws. Short and intermediate throws are so important at the NFL level.  I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised in a year or so. 

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think there is a very real possibility that he never starts in the NFL if he can't improve his short throws. Short and intermediate throws are so important at the NFL level.  I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised in a year or so. 

He will eventually start simply on the basis of being the seventh pick overall in the draft.  Hyperbole or troll talk, I don't know which.

The Bills invested in Josh Allen and reputations depend on his success. That is good enough for me. Ride or Die Beane and we will see soon enough what one it will be. I myself could only be dissapointed if any QB selected after Josh Allen turns out to be the far superior QB. 

I'm not trying to talk myself into anything. I'm hopeful and skeptical. I want to be jumping out of my chair roaring while Josh Allen drives the ball down field. I want to be high fiving my fellow Bills fans about Allen. 

Those are my expectations and if Josh Allen isn't the guy then find some one who is but since the draft capital was spent on him those are my expectations. He will have to be really impressive or absolutely heads should roll. 

I will be supportive. I'll be patient. I'll root for Allen if he struggles. At some point if I'm not getting what I want then I won't be that guy any more. 

Edited by Lfod

57 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Gotcha. I'm definitely a proponent of Allen redshirting the 2018 season (standing and watching).

Unfortunately, we all know the reality of how things go and the amount of pressure the public can put on decision-makers.

If he's ready he's ready, and right now I do not think he will be come September.  But 8-10 games in, maybe.  Goff wasn't ready, and he waited, but they also got rid of terrible OC/HC situation and brought in a QB guy to right that ship. I think we're starting with the right OC in Daboll.   So after 8 games Allen may very well be ready to get his feet wet.  

I don't care if it takes 16 games, or 1 game.  When Allen is ready to play, play him.  

• Like (+1) 1